Polar universe?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
emilio baron
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Polar universe?

Post by emilio baron » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:42 pm

the coriolis discover established tah in the north of the palnet te wind and the sink will turn easth - west.
In the universe the galaxie turn east or west because there are a north pole and a south pole in the universs ?

makc
Commodore
Posts: 2019
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:25 pm

Re: What is this new forum?

Post by makc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 pm

if stars in galaxy follow 3D spirals instead of ellipses, we could actually say if stars are spinning "left" or "right". but if they don't, how would you know which way it spins?

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16924
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: What is this new forum?

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:34 pm

emilio baron wrote:the coriolis discover established tah in the north of the palnet te wind and the sink will turn easth - west.
In the universe the galaxie turn east or west because there are a north pole and a south pole in the universs ?
Which way a galaxy appears to rotate depends on which side you are viewing it from. There is no universal reference. While galaxies in clusters can show a certain degree of relative orientation, in the Universe as a whole they appear randomly oriented. There is no indication of any kind of poles to the Universe.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: What is this new forum?

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Which way a galaxy appears to rotate depends on which side you are viewing it from. There is no universal reference. While galaxies in clusters can show a certain degree of relative orientation, in the Universe as a whole they appear randomly oriented. There is no indication of any kind of poles to the Universe.
It would seem that an expanding universe (especially one that includes inflation) can not possibly be consistent with a rotating universe simply based upon conservation of angular momentum. Rotating universes also reintroduce the paradoxes of time travel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del_metric wrote:
<<The Gödel metric is an exact solution of the Einstein field equations in which the stress-energy tensor contains two terms, the first representing the matter density of a homogeneous distribution of swirling dust particles, and the second associated with a nonzero cosmological constant. Kurt Gödel gave this elaboration to Einstein as a present for his 70th birthday in 1949. These "rotating universes" would allow time travel and caused Einstein to have doubts about his own theory. Following Gödel, we can interpret the dust particles as galaxies, so that the Gödel solution becomes a cosmological model of a rotating universe. Because this model exhibits no Hubble expansion, it is certainly not a realistic model of the universe in which we live, but can be taken as illustrating an alternative universe which would in principle be allowed by general relativity.

Some have interpreted the Gödel universe as a counterexample to Einstein's hopes that general relativity should exhibit some kind of Mach principle, citing the fact that the matter is rotating (world lines twisting about each other) in a manner sufficient to pick out a preferred direction. Others take Mach principle to mean some physical law tying the definition of nonspinning inertial frames at each event to the global distribution and motion of matter everywhere in the universe, and say that because the nonspinning inertial frames are precisely tied to the rotation of the dust in just the way such a Mach principle would suggest, this model does accord with Mach's ideas.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16924
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: What is this new forum?

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:48 pm

neufer wrote:It would seem that an expanding universe (especially one that includes inflation) can not possibly be consistent with a rotating universe simply based upon conservation of angular momentum.
I don't really buy this because I have no reason to believe that angular momentum should be conserved in the hyperuniverse supporting the rotation of our own 4-D universe. What does angular momentum even mean if our universe is rotating on its time axis? It all seems very speculative to me.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: What is this new forum?

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
emilio baron wrote:the coriolis discover established tah in the north of the palnet te wind and the sink will turn easth - west.
In the universe the galaxie turn east or west because there are a north pole and a south pole in the universs ?
Which way a galaxy appears to rotate depends on which side you are viewing it from. There is no universal reference. While galaxies in clusters can show a certain degree of relative orientation, in the Universe as a whole they appear randomly oriented. There is no indication of any kind of poles to the Universe.
Much like Planetary Systems in the local neighborhood of our galaxy also rotate in dissimilar directions and with dissimilar orientations (different inclinations WRT the Galactic Equatorial Plane)
Though there is evidence of N/S magnetic polar shift on Earth over 100k's of years while the Sun flips its N/S magnetic polar axis every 11 years, and presumably all other planetary systems and stars behave similarly, because of this it would be difficult to determine a magnetic polar axis to either the galaxy or the universe as a whole.