Abstruse Goose: Elegant Proof

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Abstruse Goose: Elegant Proof

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:39 am

Seems to me that if you do not know what chaos made chaotic, it does not matter whether you present it neatly and in order or messy and hap-hazard.
Although neat does look better.
At best it will be a guess and at worst it will be misleading, for the most part.
But then, what do i know? I'm just in an animated piece of dust that's on a bigger piece of dust, that's spinning in a Bigger piece of dust, that's in a really BIG clump of dust, that's in........
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 am

beyond wrote: But then, what do i know? I'm just in an animated piece of dust that's on a bigger piece of dust, that's spinning in a Bigger piece of dust, that's in a really BIG clump of dust, that's in........
So you're.... beyond? <g>

I love the phrase "Writing an elegant proof of a beautiful theorem." I think many people would be astonished at the notion that numbers can be something other than just numbers, that they can be aesthetically pleasing, lovely, delicious, and that math can be poetic, theorems beautiful, proofs elegant.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 am

owlice wrote:
I love the phrase "Writing an elegant proof of a beautiful theorem." I think many people would be astonished at the notion that numbers can be something other than just numbers, that they can be aesthetically pleasing, lovely, delicious, and that math can be poetic, theorems beautiful, proofs elegant.
For those who truly love mathematics I highly recommend John Derbyshire's book _Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics_ (2003) which also contains this relevant anecdote about the great mathematician David Hilbert:

• [Prof. David] Hilbert was seen day after day in torn trousers, a source of embarrassment to many. The task of tactfully informing Hilbert of the situation was delegated to his assistant, Richard Courant. Knowing the pleasure Hilbert took in strolls in the countryside while talking mathematics, Courant invited him for a walk. Courant managed matters so that the pair walked through some thorny bushes, at which point Courant informed Hilbert that he had evidently torn his pants on one of the bushes. "Oh no," Hilbert replied, "they've been that way for weeks, but nobody notices".
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 am

neufer wrote: For those who truly love mathematics I highly recommend John Derbyshire's book _Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics_ (2003)
Thank you, neufer! Already in the house. :ssmile: Where were you when I was casting about for titles for holiday giving, hmmm? I had to get my ideas elsewhere!

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 am

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:
For those who truly love mathematics I highly recommend John Derbyshire's book
_Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics_ (2003)
Thank you, neufer! Already in the house. :ssmile:
Where were you when I was casting about for titles for holiday giving, hmmm?

I had to get my ideas elsewhere!
Well...how can I compete with somebody who actually LIVES in Hilbert Space?

I myself live here in Flatland:

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:06 am

neufer wrote:I myself live here in Flatland:
...wondrous strange... indeed!!

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:15 am

owlice wrote:
neufer wrote:I myself live here in Flatland:
...wondrous strange... indeed!!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Owlice,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 am

owlice wrote:
beyond wrote: But then, what do i know? I'm just in an animated piece of dust that's on a bigger piece of dust, that's spinning in a Bigger piece of dust, that's in a really BIG clump of dust, that's in........
Not yet owlice, not quite yet.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 pm

owlice wrote:

Moreover, knowing how to use them can make you a damn lot of money. :lol:
Sorry, I usually don't think like that, but for some reason my next line of logic was, "but of what use are these pleasing, lovely, delicious, poetic numbers? ...oh yeah."
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

geckzilla wrote:
owlice wrote:
Moreover, knowing how to use them can make you a damn lot of money. :lol:

Sorry, I usually don't think like that, but for some reason my next line of logic was,
"but of what use are these pleasing, lovely, delicious, poetic numbers? ...oh yeah."
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer