Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Weather!

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Beyond wrote:
The Gang. You know... hail hail the gangs all here...
  • "Halt," said a guard.

The Americans halted. They stood there quietly in the cold. The sheds they were among were outwardly like thousands of other sheds they had passed. There was this difference, though: the sheds had tin chimneys, and out of the chimneys whirled constellations of sparks.

A guard knocked on a door.

The door was flung open from inside. Light leaped out through the door, escaped from prison at 186,000 miles per second. Out marched fifty middle-aged Englishmen. They were singing "Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here" from the Pirates of Penzance.
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Really :?: :?: A prison break at the speed of light :?: I'll bet they never saw that comeing :!:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm

neufer wrote:
TNT wrote:
I woke up at one in the morning, just in time to experience a severe thunderstorm coming our way.
By the time it passed, nearly all of the concrete surface was covered with hail.
What covered the more abstract surfaces?
I dunno, water :?: No, I was really talking about the concrete in my backyard. Still, it was an impressive (and surprising) first storm.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 pm

79 today, winter storm warning for late tonight through tomorrow afternoon. Wind chill already single digits in the panhandle, 76 outside my door. Gotta love this Oklahoma weather.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

UGH! :x It's winter again! It snowed overnight! :shock: But next week it's supposed to be Spring again! :? :roll: Hopefully I can start a garden soon! :?:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:27 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
UGH! :x It's winter again! It snowed overnight! :shock: But next week it's supposed to be Spring again! :? :roll: Hopefully I can start a garden soon! :?:
  • HAMLET: Do you see yonder cloud that's almost in shape of a camel? Or like a whale?

LORD POLONIUS: Very like a whale.
usgscb12.13100.0000.gif
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Lucy Van Pelt: Aren't the clouds beautiful? They look like big balls of cotton. I could just lie here all day and watch them drift by. If you use your imagination, you can see lots of things in the cloud's formations. What do you think you see, Linus?

Linus Van Pelt: Well, those clouds up there look to me look like the map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean.

Linus Van Pelt: That cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, the famous painter and sculptor. And that group of clouds over there gives me the impression of the Stoning of Stephen. I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side.

Lucy Van Pelt: Uh huh. That's very good. What do you see in the clouds, Charlie Brown?

Charlie Brown: Well... I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.

Charles Schultz
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Yesterday, 79°. Today 31° and freezing rain. Trees covered in ice. Tomorrow 55° and sunny.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 pm

bystander wrote:Yesterday, 79°. Today 31° and freezing rain. Trees covered in ice. Tomorrow 55° and sunny.
No wonder you're an Apathetic Retiree. That's worse weather than New England :!: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 pm

90*F here when I left work at 5 PM.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 pm

I guess we'll continue to see mocking headlines for isolated weather events like snow storms in DC cancelling climate change conferences but when an isolated weather event such as breaking a record high in DC we don't get any headlines to even out the dumb news reporting.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

geckzilla wrote:
I guess we'll continue to see mocking headlines for isolated weather events like snow storms in DC cancelling climate change conferences but when an isolated weather event such as breaking a record high in DC we don't get any headlines to even out the dumb news reporting.
The snow storms out west (as well as recently in the British Isles) along with record high temperatures in the East did, in fact, get quite a lot of coverage. What was not appreciated, however, was the fact that global warming in the Arctic (which doesn't get enough coverage) is largely responsible for a meandering polar jet stream => chaotic weather in the mid latitudes (including westward moving hurricane Sandy).
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Sure, record highs always get reported, but the mention of climate change in those cases is looked down upon (as it probably should be) because it's a weather event. I mean when something comes along where they could possibly mock climate change science, like with Obama talking about it while wearing a trench coat or a snow storm which cancels a meeting, there seems to be no problem trying to claim climate change is some kind of scam.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 pm

There is a important global climate change.
For example, in my area ( it´s winter ), and a night rainy in the same amount that should rain in one month!!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Maybe I'll wake up one morning and it really will be Spring! :shock:
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

bystander wrote:Warm Arctic, Chilly Mid-Latitudes
NASA Earth Observatory | 2013 Apr 02
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=80821 wrote:
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
In September 2012, the ice cap over the Arctic Ocean shrank to its lowest extent on record, about half the size of the average summertime extent from 1979 to 2000. That sea ice minimum continued a long-term trend of diminishing ice cover over the past few decades.

During the darkness and bitter cold of Arctic winter, new sea ice forms and older ice re-freezes and grows. This growth typically reaches its maximum extent in late February or early March.

According to a NASA analysis, this year’s annual maximum extent was the fifth lowest in the past 35 years. The yearly maximum—15.09 million square kilometers—was reached on February 28, 2013, according to scientists at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. The 2013 winter extent is 374,000 square kilometers below the average maximum extent for the past three decades.

Scientists at the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) assert that the Arctic ice maximum occurred on March 15, 2013. Their calculated extent of 15.13 million square kilometers was less than half a percent from the NASA maximum extent. The two institutions use slightly different methods in their sea ice assessments, but overall their trends show close agreement. In both cases, the 2013 measurement fits with the ongoing trend: nine of the ten smallest ice maximums in the satellite record have occurred in the past decade.

The maps above show the Arctic sea ice extents from March 14, 1983 and March 15, 2013, an average year for sea ice maximum. (Extent is defined as the total area in which the ice concentration is at least 15 percent.) According to NSIDC, the average maximum extent for 1979–2000 was 15.46 million square kilometers. The 1983 maximum covered roughly that extent, so a comparison between 2013 and 1983 gives an idea of how conditions in 2013 strayed from the long-term average. (Turn on the image-comparison tool to see the difference.)

The 2013 map was compiled from observations by the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer 2 (AMSR-2) sensor on the Global Change Observation Mission 1st–Water (“Shizuku”) satellite, operated by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). The 1983 image was made from observations by the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer (SMMR) on the Nimbus-7 satellite. The white circle over the pole in each image is a data gap resulting from satellites flying close to—but not directly over—the poles. The wider coverage by AMSR-2 (and other satellite instruments) has shrunk the size of this gap. The area around the North Pole is ice-covered—an assumption confirmed by many airborne and ice-surface expeditions—but researchers use an average of the concentration just outside the gap to estimate the extent within.

The behavior of the winter sea ice maximum is not necessarily predictive of the following melt season. The long-term record shows there are times when an unusually large maximum is followed by an unusually low minimum, and vice versa. “You would think the two should be related because if you have an extensive maximum that means you had an unusually cold winter and the ice would have grown thicker and more difficult to melt in the summer,” said Joey Comiso, a senior scientist at NASA Goddard. “But it isn’t as simple as that. You can have a lot of other forces that affect the ice cover in the summer, like the strong storm we got last August.”

While winter sea ice has declined at a less drastic rate than summer ice, the fraction of ice cover that has survived at least two melt seasons—“multi-year ice”—remains much smaller than at the beginning of the satellite era. This older, thicker ice buttresses the ice cap against more severe melting. Measurements suggest multi-year ice grew slightly this past winter and now covers 2.67 million square kilometers. Nonetheless, the multi-year ice extent is less than half of what it was in the early 1980s.

“I think the multi-year ice cover will continue to decline in the upcoming years,” Comiso said. “There’s a little bit of oscillation, so there still might be a small gain in some years. But it continues to go down and before you know it we’ll lose the multi-year ice altogether.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 pm

5 earthquakes in Central Oklahoma early this morning.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm

bystander, how many of them did you feel? Were they all minor?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm

— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 am

It snowed again last night! Spring is really having trouble getting started! :?
Orin

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:02 pm

I thought Asterisk*ians might find this of interest but wasn't sure of where to post it. I'm putting it here in Weather - but, administrators, do feel free (!) move it elsewhere! :D
Olympic Coast Sanctuary report is 'first step' in addressing effects of climate change

A new report on the potential effects of climate change on NOAA's Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary uses existing observations and science-based expectations to identify how climate change could affect habitats, plants and animals within the sanctuary and adjacent coastal areas.

It also outlines new management recommendations for the sanctuary, and sanctuary officials called it the first step toward addressing them.

They also said the report issued by the sanctuary, Climate Change and the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary: Interpreting Potential Futures, will provide a foundation of information and identify key issues facing the sanctuary.

"Climate change poses an increasingly grave threat to the health of the ocean, and its impacts will be felt in marine protected areas like the Olympic Coast sanctuary," said Carol Bernthal, sanctuary superintendent. "This report begins our work to develop management strategies that will help us anticipate potential challenges and adapt to the changing marine environment through sound science, public outreach, and partnerships."

According to the report, climate change could affect the sanctuary through increases in sea level; extreme weather events such as winds, waves, and storms; and coastal erosion from those events. The report also says the region may experience an increase in ocean acidity and water temperature, as well as more extreme weather patterns, including Pacific Northwest regional rainfall increases triggering 100-year magnitude floods.

Prepared and edited by Washington Sea Grant and sanctuary staff, the new climate report is the outcome of more than a year of intensive collaboration among subject matter experts representing 27 agencies, organizations and academic institutions.

The authors also made recommendations for future action for sanctuary management, including focus on public education, information gathering, and policy and management strategies. Scientists, educators, natural resource managers, and communicators will continue to work together to outline regional next steps forward.

The Climate Change Impacts Report is available here. http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/science/con ... ocnms.html

Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary encompasses 3,188 square miles of marine and nearshore waters and intertidal habitat off of Washington state's Olympic Peninsula coastline. As one of 14 sites managed by NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries, the sanctuary is provided protected status because of extraordinary ecological and maritime heritage values.

NOAA's mission is to understand and predict changes in the Earth's environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and to conserve and manage our coastal and marine resources.
http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/news/press/ ... 41713.html
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Wed May 01, 2013 3:30 am

orin stepanek wrote:It snowed again last night! Spring is really having trouble getting started! :?
National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=mpx
Minneapolis, Mn April 30th 2013
Much colder and wet weather will return to the area later tonight, and into Wednesday. The cold and wet period could last through the weekend. The air will be cold enough that snow will begin to mix with the rain Wednesday, and then change over to all snow Wednesday night, and early Thursday morning. A few inches of wet slushy snow is becoming likely for portions of eastern Minnesota, and western Wisconsin by Thursday morning. The last time the Twin Cities had more than a trace of snowfall in May was back in 1991. The last time the Twin Cities received over an inch of snowfall in May was back in 1976. Although there will be a slow warming trend this weekend, temperatures will still be well below normal for the start of May.
crazy crazy indeed
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 am

The weather is crazy, all right.
Forgive me for posting this map of Sweden. As you can see from the map, Sweden is an "oblong" country, elongated in the north-south direction. I live in Malmö, which, as you can see from the map, is in the southernmost part of Sweden at latitude 55 degrees or so. I was born, however, just south of the Arctic Circle, which is far north.

It used to be that spring came to Malmö in the south two and a half months before it arrived at the Arctic Circle. This year, however, spring (defined as seven days in a row when the mean temperature is above 0 C) was almost a month late in Malmö. On the other hand, spring was almost a month early near the Arctic Circle.

It would seem that there is something weird going on in the Earth's atmosphere to generate this strange weather.

Ann
Color Commentator

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed May 01, 2013 3:50 am

neufer wrote: I guess we'll continue to see mocking headlines for isolated weather events like snow storms in DC cancelling climate change conferences but when an isolated weather event such as breaking a record high in DC we don't get any headlines to even out the dumb news reporting. The snow storms out west (as well as recently in the British Isles) along with record high temperatures in the East did, in fact, get quite a lot of coverage. What was not appreciated, however, was the fact that global warming in the Arctic (which doesn't get enough coverage) is largely responsible for a meandering polar jet stream => chaotic weather in the mid latitudes (including westward moving hurricane Sandy).
A decade ago I convinced myself AGW would make jet streams "longer", meander more. But they could also go faster, or be wider too with the added energy. It seems my intuition was right somewhat, as recently for example the jet over the central US, has had a severe dip or buckle to the south [down to Texas} for weeks now generally. It won't let the mild and drier pacific westerlies get here! ugh!
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

mjimih
Science Officer

Post by mjimih » Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 am

Ann wrote:The weather is crazy, all right. ...
It would seem that there is something weird going on in the Earth's atmosphere to generate this strange weather.
Ann
http://www.talkweather.com/forums/index ... r-dummies/
3791_354120661362359_368479815_n.jpg

As I read recently that the lack of ice cover at the north pole is disturbing the polar vortex. The cold air at the top tends to form a vortex in September, something like a low pressure system and is mostly bottled up or trapped up at the top. If it's upper layer warms too much, as it has this year, the vortex weakens and winds slow down, causing cold air masses to "break off" and move south. This is why Minnesota has been consistently 10-20f below normal since mid Feb this year (grrr and brrr). In the polar view above you can see northern Scandinavia is on the edge of warmth, in January, and Minnesota is about to get that COLD blue blob moved overhead a few weeks later.

M
Last edited by bystander on Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please, no hot links to images > 400kb (file size) attached .jpg version