Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: Weather!

Post by Ann » Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 am

Congratulations on the moisture, Chris.

It's dry here. Not excessively so, but dry. It's been a lot drier here than in most parts of Sweden.

We had 23C a couple of days ago. Now it's going to drop down to about 11C, until we may get about 20C at the end of next week.

We may get an inch of rainfall or so the upcoming week, if we are lucky.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 am

Good bicycling weather Ann :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 am

Wow topped out at 102F today! That's about 39C! Just 2 weeks ago we had freezing rain and snow and the temp dipped to 29F; almost -2C!
Wierd weather; and ice floes in Minnesota! :?
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 15, 2013 2:44 am

Beyond wrote:Good bicycling weather Ann :?:
Yes, it's nice for bicycling. Unfortunately I have so much to do at work at this time of year that I have no time for bicycling.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 am

Ann wrote:
Beyond wrote:Good bicycling weather Ann :?:
Yes, it's nice for bicycling. Unfortunately I have so much to do at work at this time of year that I have no time for bicycling.

Ann
There always seems to be a 'catch' to things, doesn't there.

It was down to freezing here, night before last. Last night was about 16 degrees below freezing, and tonight, before midnight, it's already down to freezing.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 am

Supposedly, we'll have 18C today. That's nice.

Ann
Color Commentator

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Re: Weather! typical for Minnesota? hardly

Post by mjimih » Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 pm

http://www.startribune.com/weather/blog ... ather.html
Record 98F Yesterday (hottest May 14 in Minnesota history
Posted by: Paul Douglas Updated: May 15, 2013 - 9:50 AM
meteorologist with 33 years in television and radio
Off The Rails
Mother Nature is off her meds again. I've seen a lot of things in 30 years, but I don't think I've ever witnessed frost to 100F in 58 hours. Like turning on a light switch: instant blast-furnace heat. It was 102F at St. James, but only 44F in Grand Marais. The Twin Cities broke the old record of 95F in 1932. We're taking weather whiplash to a whole new level.
New Record May Temperature Swing? Monday morning's official low at MSP was 41; Tuesday's high a sauna-like 98. Higher math: 57 degree swing - that breaks the old record of 55 degrees set in 1909. Is there a record for obscure records? That said - I think we've just seen the definition of a hot front. Graphic: Climate Central and WeatherNation TV.
I hope, as Paul does, that this doesn't mean we're going to have another CRAZY summer of weather. We just had our spring "drastically" delayed by a whole month! Enough is enough. But alas the Earth keeps spinning.
Mark
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 am

It's warm here today, about 24C.

Ann
Color Commentator

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat May 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Ann wrote:It's warm here today, about 24C.

Ann
That is warmer than here ... 18° brrrr.
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 am

We had thunder boomers with the rain last night and surprisingly Sassy didn't seem to get frightened by them! :D My Son In Law and Daughter were out of town last night so I went over and had to put their dog in a kennel in the garage for during the storm! Seems that's the only place he feels safe during a storm!
The rain was welcome and there is a possibility that we may get more today! :D
Orin

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Enjoy the rain, Orin. At least you won't be getting severe weather. A "quadruple point", or a warm front, a cold front, a dry line, and a trough connected to a low-pressure area, is going to come close by during the evening hours, and that could bring flooding, large hail, strong winds, and a pretty good chance for tornadoes. On the bright side, it's the first major severe weather storm system in about two years! :ssmile:
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

bystander's last post: Sun 2:10 pm ?

Post by neufer » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013/05/19/oklahoma-braces-for-severe-storms/ wrote: Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma and Iowa as storms sweep through Midwest
FoxNews.com, May 19, 2013

<<A severe storm system that is sweeping through the Midwest has generated tornadoes in Kansas, Oklahoma and Iowa and has left at least one person dead in Shawnee, Okla. Dozen of counties in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Missouri have been placed under tornado watches and warnings.

A tornado grazed the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond Sunday afternoon, dropping hail as large as grapefruit and damaging roofs and structures before heading east. Aerial flyovers in Wellston, northeast of Oklahoma City, showed significant property damage. Major damage was also seen at a mobile home park in Shawnee, Okla, where a search and rescue effort is underway.

A storm spotter told the National Weather Service that the tornado "scoured" the landscape in the park and an area along Interstate 40. The highway has been closed because of overturned tractor-trailers that now litter the road. "I knew it was coming," said Edmond resident Randy Grau, who huddled with his wife and two young boys in their Edmond's home's safe room when the tornado hit. He said he peered out his window as the weather worsened and believed he saw a flock of birds heading down the street. "Then I realized it was swirling debris," Grau said. "That's when we shut the door of the safe room. I probably had them in there for 10 minutes."

In Katie Leathers' backyard, the family's trampoline was tossed through a section of fence and a giant tree uprooted. "I saw all the trees waving, and that's when I grabbed everyone and got into two closets," Leathers said. "All these trees just snapped."

In Kansas, an "violent and extremely dangerous tornado" was spotted in the southwest side of Wichita near the Mid-Continent Airport, according to the National Weather Service. Carl Brewer, the mayor of Wichita, told Fox News that the city was hit harder by high winds and golf ball sized hail than anything from the tornado. "That alone, and the rain, actually just really did a number on the city," he said. "It was so bad you think a tornado came through." Brewer said hail ripped through the sides of houses in Wichita, in addition to breaking windows and damaging cars. But Randy Duncan, Wichita's emergency management director, told Fox News that he has not yet heard of any local reports of injuries of deaths stemming from the storm.

In Iowa, a tornado touched down 30 miles west of Des Moines, the National Weather Service said, according to the Des Moines Register. More severe storms are also in the forecast in Oklahoma a day after large hail fell in the state's southwest and electricity was knocked out to thousands.

The Storm Prediction Center said Sunday there was a moderate risk of severe thunderstorms forming Sunday evening. “The overall environment appears quite favorable for tornadoes,” the SPC outlook stated, according to the Kansas City Star. The center says the greatest risk for storms in Oklahoma is in the far north, around the Bartlesville area. Overall, the cities included in the area of moderate risk are Kansas City, Wichita, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. In Enid on Saturday, a police officer was injured in high winds when his cruiser was struck by an object. Area emergency manager Mike Honigsberg told The Oklahoman that the car may have been hit by a cattle trough lifted by the wind. In Oklahoma City, an officer was trapped for a time when surrounded by fallen utility lines.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Mon May 20, 2013 7:37 am

Its raining most of the time, when the sun peaks through the clouds, its just only for a short time. If the rain doesnt stop soon, I have to
build me a boat.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 am

Re Neufer's post

The Oklahoma storm seemed centred on a place called Shawnee, 35 miles from Oklahoma City.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22592695

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/amazing-foot ... -its-path/

Has anyone heard from bystander?
Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
&mdash; Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm

That kind of weather is not entirely unusual for Oklahoma and tends to be isolated. So even though it sounds like it's nearby it's probably not. Used to get tornado warnings when I lived there all the time but never saw or was affected by any tornadoes. Ice storms are probably the worst and those are out of season.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Mon May 20, 2013 12:52 pm

geckzilla wrote:That kind of weather is not entirely unusual for Oklahoma and tends to be isolated. So even though it sounds like it's nearby it's probably not. Used to get tornado warnings when I lived there all the time but never saw or was affected by any tornadoes. Ice storms are probably the worst and those are out of season.
Thanks, Geckzilla. The tornado looked dreadful and I just wondered if bystander might have been affected. And feel a little bit concerned.
Margarita

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

US National Weather Service Norman Oklahoma
Here's a very preliminary map showing the approximate tracks of the two most significant tornadoes. We realize that this does not include the tornado near Prague, and we know that there were multiple tornadoes along the path from Edmond to Carney. This is just to give you a rough idea of the scope of the event. We will have more details tomorrow afternoon.

As per normal, the tornadoes avoided Oklahoma City proper. I think the heat shield of the city diverts them. They usually go west and north, or south and east of the city. The tornado in Edmond yesterday (north storm) touched down just 500 feet south of a friend's house and tracked very close to friends in Arcadia, Luther, and Wellston. Shawnee was hit hard with fatalities reported (south storm). More severe weather predicted for this afternoon and evening.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Moore, a suburb south of OKC, hit hard by an EF-4 or EF-5 tornado. Entire housing additions, a hospital, and an elementary school destroyed. Multiple fatalities. The tornado was on the ground for almost 40 minutes. This is the same area that was hit 1999 May 3 (F5) and 2003 May 8 (F4). Rescue efforts still ongoing.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 21, 2013 3:03 am

A tornado would blow through an elementary school and kill more than 50 persons after I try to downplay them.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 am

Actually it blew through two elementary schools less than a mile apart, unfortunately school was in session. Really a freak storm. It went from just anoher cloud in the sky to a supercell mesocyclone that spawned an EF4 tornado in less than hour. The same supercell was still wrecking havoc when it reached Branson, MO some 5 to 6 hours later. Debris from Moore was still raining down from the same supercell in NE OK, NW AR, and SW MO.
— Garrison Keillor

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 am

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is really dreadful news.
Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue May 21, 2013 8:22 am

I'm sorry to hear about the catastrophe.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am

On the news they said the children were all accounted for but; they were going through all the rubble to make sure no one was missed!
Now I heard that 7 children died when a wall fell on them at one of the schools and 24 people were killed! I hope they don't anymore!
Orin

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm

bystander wrote:
As per normal, the tornadoes avoided Oklahoma City proper. I think the heat shield of the city diverts them. They usually go west and north, or south and east of the city. The tornado in Edmond yesterday (north storm) touched down just 500 feet south of a friend's house and tracked very close to friends in Arcadia, Luther, and Wellston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect wrote:
<<In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions, where a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state. The name of the effect, coined by Edward Lorenz, is derived from the theoretical example of a hurricane's formation being contingent on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks before.>>
Art Neuendorffer

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 pm

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Forecasting
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Climatology
Why does it seem like tornadoes avoid downtowns of major cities?
Simply, downtowns cover tiny land areas relative to the entire nation. The chance of any particular tornado hitting a major downtown is quite low--not for any meteorological reason, but simply because downtowns are small targets. Even when tornadoes hit metro areas; their odds of hitting downtown are small out of space considerations alone. For example, downtown Dallas (inside the freeway loop) covers roughly three square miles, Dallas County, about 900 square miles. For a brief tornado in Dallas County, its odds of hitting downtown are only about 1 in 300. Still, downtown tornadoes have happened, including at least four hits on St. Louis alone. The idea of large buildings destroying or preventing a tornado is pure myth. Even the largest skyscrapers pale in size and volume when compared to the total circulation of a big tornado from ground through thunderhead.
According to the main graphic chart on this page http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html , this year is starting out more tame than any in the last 10 years! The season lasts into early September, but if the occurrence of severe weather and tornadoes hasn't ramped up yet, chances get better that the season won't be a bad one. Starting in 2005, June seems to have had a consistent uptick in severe events. But last year was relatively quiet and this year is really quiet so far. Let's hope that quietness holds for another month or so, so this year can be the tamest in a decade.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"