Round, all around, everywhere around us

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Round, all around, everywhere around us

Post by THX1138 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:42 am

Round all around us

Look anywhere you want and they are there, I mean everywhere. Try to build a car without round things, tires, pistons crankshaft the list is endless. Try to build a home without round, pipes, house wiring “ yes the wires are round “ door handles the list is endless. The monitor your looking at, round pixels, buttons, capacitors, resistors. . Your computer, the fan spinning around, the hard drive etc, etc Your eyes are round, blood vessels are round blood cells are round. Jump into a swimming pool and watch the round bubbles floating upwards
Our solar systems planets, the moons, if not all of them at present round certainly trying to attain roundness lost due to tidal effects and all of them doing what? What else, going around the round sun / star.
If you spend the rest of your lifetime and a thousand more looking will still never find anything in the universe that is not round an going around. Anything that is anything when you get down to it is made of atoms, round things going around each other miniature solar systems as it were.
This is not a question per se just an observation that has always perplexed me. Look around all around. Everything you see all around is round.

I never met a weapon i did'nt like Ronald Regan ( 1989 )

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Round, all around, everywhere around us

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:49 am

It's a good thing humanity invented the wheel, eh?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 am

I never met a weapon i did'nt like Ronald Regan ( 1989 )
Well, the man was shot once, and he could have been killed. Was he trying to say that he didn't mind turning the other cheek?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... gan372.jpg

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I like round. :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat, & Tears

swainy

Post by swainy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Good job, The Roman's never realized most of their, Answers to their impossible questions was "Round" . Do you think the impossible answers to "Our" Impossible questions Might be Round? :?

tc

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle wrote:
The Reuleaux triangle is a constant width curve based on an equilateral triangle.
ImageImageImage
All points on a side are equidistant from the opposite vertex.

A Reuleaux triangle is, apart from the trivial case of the circle, the simplest and best known Reuleaux polygon, a curve of constant width. The separation of two parallel lines tangent to the curve is independent of their orientation. The term derives from the name of Franz Reuleaux, a 19th-century German engineer who did pioneering work on ways that machines translate one type of motion into another, although the concept was known before his time.

The Reuleaux triangle has the least area of any curve of given constant width. The Reuleaux triangle can be generalized to regular polygons with an odd number of sides, yielding a Reuleaux polygon. The most commonly used of these is the Reuleaux heptagon. The British twenty pence and fifty pence coins are approximately Reuleaux heptagons with rounded apices, the constant width allows use in coin-operated machines.

* Because all diameters are the same length, the Reuleaux triangle, with all other Reuleaux polygons, is an answer to the question "Other than a circle, what shape can you make a manhole cover so that it cannot fall down through the hole?"

* The rotor of the Wankel engine is easily mistaken for a Reuleaux triangle but its curved sides are somewhat flatter than those of a Reuleaux triangle and so it does not have constant width.

* A drill bit in the shape of a Reuleaux triangle can, if mounted in a special chuck which allows for the bit not having a fixed centre of rotation, drill a hole that is very nearly a perfect square. Other Reuleaux polygons are used for drill bits for pentagonal, hexagonal, and octagonal holes.

* A Reuleaux triangle can roll but makes a poor wheel because it does not roll about a fixed center of rotation. An object on top of rollers with cross-sections that were Reuleaux triangles would roll smoothly and flatly, but an axle attached to Reuleaux triangle wheels would bounce up and down three times per revolution. This concept was used in a science fiction short story by Poul Anderson titled "The Three-Cornered Wheel."

* Several pencils are manufactured in this shape, rather than the more traditional round or hexagonal barrels. They are usually promoted as being more comfortable or encouraging proper grip, as well as being less likely to roll off tables.

* The shape is used for signage for the National Trails System administered by the United States National Park Service[4], as well as the logo of Colorado School of Mines.

* The Reulaux triangle is used as the rear wheel for the multi-angle-wheel bicycle built in Qingdao of Shandong Province, China.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_tetrahedron#Meissner_bodies wrote:
<<The Reuleaux tetrahedron is the intersection of four spheres of radius s centered at the vertices of a regular tetrahedron with side length s. The sphere through each vertex passes through the other three vertices, which also form vertices of the Reuleaux tetrahedron. The Reuleaux tetrahedron has the same face structure as a regular tetrahedron, but with curved faces: four vertices, and four curved faces, connected by six circular-arc edges.

This shape is defined and named by analogy to the Reuleaux triangle, a two-dimensional curve of constant width. One can find repeated claims in the mathematical literature that the Reuleaux tetrahedron is analogously a surface of constant width, but it is not true: the two midpoints of opposite edge arcs are separated by a larger distance,

Meißner & Schiller (1912) showed how to modify the Reuleaux tetrahedron to form a surface of constant width, by replacing three of its edge arcs by curved patches formed as the surfaces of rotation of a circular arc. According to which three edge arcs are replaced (three that have a common vertex or three that form a triangle) there result two noncongruent shapes that are sometimes called Meissner bodies or Meissner tetrahedra (pictures and films in Weber 2009). Bonnesen & Fenchel (1934) conjectured that Meissner tetrahedra are the minimum-volume three-dimensional shapes of constant width, a conjecture which is still open. In connection with this problem, Campi, Colesanti & Gronchi (1996) showed that the minimum volume surface of revolution with constant width is the surface of revolution of a Reuleaux triangle through one of its symmetry axes.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:27 am

Reminds me of the Wankel Rotary engine.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:33 am

beyond wrote:Reminds me of the Wankel Rotary engine.
neufer wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuleaux_triangle wrote:
  • The rotor of the Wankel engine is easily mistaken for a Reuleaux triangle but its curved sides are somewhat flatter than those of a Reuleaux triangle and so it does not have constant width.

THX1138

Post by THX1138 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 am

Indeed, My personal round favorite / The beach boys. Round, round get around I get around

The reuleaux looks cool and all; and thank you all for your posts so far, but it’s made of round. Seems everything in this here universe wants to be so, I bet the entire place; if we could see all 95 billion light years of it is round…. Or the universe bubble we are in, Bubbles are round of course. I hate going there but what the hell, bet if there is a god, god is also.......

Truly I hope they find something that isn’t, maybe that higgs god particle or a quark, there just has to be something that is not round around here .

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 am

swainy wrote:Good job, The Roman's never realized most of their, Answers to their impossible questions was "Round" . Do you think the impossible answers to "Our" Impossible questions Might be Round? :?

tc
A round somewhere.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 am

how about round buildings. I believe that they are more durable in storms. http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4GZA ... 66&bih=284
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

With all this talk of "round", we'd better circle the wagons before the squares and triangles and all the other shapes start attacking to get us to mention them also.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 pm

beyond wrote:With all this talk of "round", we'd better circle the wagons before the squares and triangles and all the other shapes start attacking to get us to mention them also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland wrote:
<<Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is an 1884 satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott. Writing pseudonymously as "a square", Abbott used the fictional two-dimensional world of Flatland to offer pointed observations on the social hierarchy of Victorian culture.

Men are portrayed as polygons whose social class is directly proportional to the number of sides they have; therefore, triangles, having only three sides, are at the bottom of the social ladder and are considered generally unintelligent, while the Priests are composed of multi-sided polygons whose shapes approximate a circle, which is considered to be the "perfect" shape. On the other hand, females consist only of lines and are required by law to sway back and forth and sound a "peace-cry" as they walk, because when a line is coming towards an observer in a 2-D world, their body appears merely as a point. The Square talks of accounts where men have been killed (both by accident and on purpose) by being stabbed by women. This explains the need for separate doors for women and men in buildings. Also, colors in Flatland were banned when lower classes painted themselves to appear to be higher ordered.

In the world of Flatland, classes are distinguished using the "Art of Hearing", the "Art of Feeling" and the "Art of Sight Recognition". Classes can be distinguished by the sound of one's voice, but the lower classes have more developed vocal organs, enabling them to feign the voice of a polygon or even a circle. Feeling, practised by the lower classes and women, determines the configuration of a person by feeling one of their angles. The "Art of Sight Recognition", practised by the upper classes, is aided by "Fog", which allows an observer to determine the depth of an object. With this, polygons with sharp angles relative to the observer will fade out more rapidly than polygons with more gradual angles. The population of Flatland can "evolve" through the Law of Nature, which states: "a male child shall have one more side than his father, so that each generation shall rise (as a rule) one step in the scale of development and nobility. Thus the son of a Square is a Pentagon; the son of a Pentagon, a Hexagon; and so on."

This rule is not the case when dealing with isosceles triangles (Soldiers and Workmen), for their evolution occurs through eventually achieving the status of an equilateral triangle, removing them from serfdom. The smallest angle of an isosceles triangle gains thirty arcminutes (half a degree) each generation. Additionally, the rule does not seem to apply to many-sided polygons; the sons of several hundred-sided polygons will often develop fifty or more sides more than their parents.

The isosceles triangles with the smallest angle are the soldier class (if they weren't criminals), while the triangles closer to being regular are menial laborers. An equilateral Triangle is a member of the craftsman class. Squares and Pentagons are the "gentlemen" class, as doctors, lawyers, and other professions. Hexagons are the lowest rank of nobility, all the way up to (near) circles, who make up the priest class. The higher order polygons have much less of a chance of producing sons, preventing flatland from being overcrowded with noblemen.

Regular polygons were considered in isolation until chapter 7 of the book when the issue of irregularity, or physical deformity, became considered. In a two dimensional world a regular polygon can be identified by a single angle and/or vertex. In order to maintain social cohesion, irregularity is to be abhorred, with moral irregularity and criminality cited, "by some" (in the book), as inevitable additional deformities, a sentiment concurred by the author. If the error of deviation is above a stated amount the irregular faces euthanasia; if below, he becomes the lowest rank of civil servant. In this study of what was to later to become known as eugenics, an irregular polygon should not be destroyed at birth, but rather allowed to develop in order to see if its irregularity could be “cured” or reduced to within society's level of tolerance. If the deformity could not be corrected then the irregular should be “painlessly and mercifully consumed.”>>
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Consumed :?: :?: What are they, cannibals?

Neufer wrote "Also, colors in Flatland were banned when lower classes painted themselves to appear to be higher ordered."

That would only work if they could paint themselves into a "higher" shape. Not to be confused with painting yourself into a corner, where spiders would make webs in you. Not to be confused with a web-SITE. Not to be confused with seeing different shapes of different "orders."

GADZOOKS!! Another "Round." :facepalm:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Round Here - Counting Crows
Roundabout - Yes

THX1138

Post by THX1138 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 pm

I fricken love this site, all of you crack me up constantly, how about you makc, where you at with your reply to this thread we got going round here?
Astronomy picture of the day #1
Physorg.com #2
Cant tell you #3 but I’m certain you could guess

Good day all, headed to the beach to catch some waves

I never met a weapon I didnt like Ronald Regan ( 1989 )

swainy

Post by swainy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm

THX1138 wrote:I fricken love this site, all of you crack me up constantly, how about you makc, where you at with your reply to this thread we got going round here?
Seems like we got sumot going on now Huh? You ent seen nothing yet Mucker.

tc

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm

THX1138 wrote:Indeed, My personal round favorite / The beach boys. Round, round get around I get around
I Get Around - The Beach Boys (1980)
The Early Years (1964)

swainy

Post by swainy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Good Vibrations Or Round Vibrations? I love music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf6vVt0cLnM

tc

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:03 am

THX1138 wrote:I fricken love this site, all of you crack me up constantly, how about you makc, where you at with your reply to this thread we got going round here?
Astronomy picture of the day #1
Physorg.com #2
Cant tell you #3 but I’m certain you could guess

Good day all, headed to the beach to catch some waves

I never met a weapon I didnt like Ronald Regan ( 1989 )
I've seen that quote restated as

"I never met a weapon I didn't like...Ronald Raygun "

THX1138

Post by THX1138 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 am

Yes I think someone named Honkoski used to say that on this site, before he went incognito and changed it to TXC or THC something. You know how those dam Irish are.
DEE - DEE - DEE

And who could ever forget someone that posted this under an old thread FTL speed
But sir we’ve never gone to ludicrous speed, what’s the matter colonel sanders, chicken
And on the real " if you don't mind " Just what exactly does BMAONE23........mean

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 pm

It really bears no meaning. My initials are BMA, My LAN id at work is BMA1 and I wanted 8 carachters so BMAONE23
Over at galaxy zoo I'm BMA123