Big Bang Theory (the show)

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Big Bang Theory (the show)

Post by owlice » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Does anyone else here watch this show? Or perhaps better, will anyone else admit to watching this show? <g>

I'm reminded of it because I was just reading this article (with a most unfortunate illustration, ugh!), which refers to the Drake equation, which showed up in last week's Big Bang Theory. It was hilarious, and how often can one say that about a recitation of the Drake equation? :lol:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Big Bang Theory (the show)

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm

"I actually think the chances that we'll find ET are pretty good," said Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute in Mountain View, Calif., here at the SETI con convention. "Young people in the audience, I think there's a really good chance you're going to see this happen."
Hmmmmm. Yessss. Last time I read the Bible, Jesus told some of the people listening to him that some of the young among his audience would get to see Jesus return to the Earth from heaven.

And when I was at the university in the politically radical seventies, a guy there told me that a hundred years from now, communism would rule the entire world, and the world would have become a paradise, too!

Maybe E.T will really give us a call before this century is over. And maybe communism will rule the world. And hey, maybe Jesus will be back soon. But it's hard to judge the predictive power of the Bible, the Communist Manifesto and the Drake equation.

He will come down from the sky?

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Ann, is The Big Bang Theory shown in Sweden?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:26 am

owlice wrote:Ann, is The Big Bang Theory shown in Sweden?
Let me put it like this. I was once at an informal lecture by a Swedish astronomer. He had been invited by a group of New Age/ UFO enthusiasts, and he accepted to talk about astronomy at their club. I heard about this, and since everyone was welcome to listen, I attended the meeting.

Anyway, after his lecture, the astronomer was asked a lot of questions by the UFO enthusiasts. (And by me. 8-) ) The UFO people wanted to know what he thought about numerous TV shows. The astronomer replied:

"I don't make use of television."

That pretty much summarizes me, too. I always want to see the weather report and some news every day, but apart from that, well, I don't make use of television. Not really. And certainly not to the point that I try to watch shows.

So, is The Big Bang Theory shown in Sweden?

I don't think so. But frankly, I don't know.

Ann
Color Commentator

ajeadie18
Asternaut

Post by ajeadie18 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 pm

I watch it. I think it is hilarious. And clever. ... and funny.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 pm

ajeadie18 wrote:I watch it. I think it is hilarious. And clever. ... and funny.
Me, too! Parts of it bear an uncanny resemblance to certain aspects of my life, either present or past, except the guys were (are) mostly in comp sci rather than physics.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:00 pm

I've watched it a couple of times. It is funny; but I can't get really interested in it.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

jman
Ensign

Post by jman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 am

I find it amusing, but my wife can't get enough of it. She obviously has a soft spot for geeks!