Meridiani Is A Seabed (APOD 05 Jun 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
aichip
Science Officer

The pentagonal shape revisited

Post by aichip » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 am

I will show that the pentagonal hollow form is in fact a true regular pentagon with some wear. This is a simple task.

First, knowing the height of the camera mast and the angular size of the field, we can project a parallelogram that represents the field on the ground. This allows us to calculate the "lay of the land" and yields a pair of angular rotations around the X and Y axes. With a little comparison of the true flat surface, we can find the angle that the pentagonal shape is facing.

Now we perform a rotation around the Z axis until a regular pentagon, having been rotated on X and Y to match the ground angle and the face angle of the pentagonal shape, will then drop directly on top of the form in question. This is the resulting image.

I welcome an independent investigation with the math, and then I will present my figures. This will prevent my ideas from influencing anyone who decides to do this, like the double blind system.

Any questions?
Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:23 pm

I still see two distinct planes on your "one" red vertical line on the far left making it an irregular hexagonal cell. The cleavage lines tell me that it is volcanic in origin, if it were of organic origins I would expect to see some type of growth rings or other evidence of it's creation. An entry level paleontology course could tell you it does not have the "look" of a fossilized shell or fossilized soft tissue.
Speculation ≠ Science

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:08 pm

If it is a basaltic column remnant, Don't they usually form in mass groups, as basaltic magma cools and crystalizes? Also isn't there a crystaline structure size dominance that forces the structure to form columns that are about 6" accross? What is the size of this particular (rock)? It looks to me to be too small to be a basaltic crysyaline remnant.

kovil
Science Officer

I yam what I yam !

Post by kovil » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Ahh, bip bip old chap and all that.

The Dutchy of Grand Fenwick indeed.

A toast to the Knights of Ni !

I think if for no other reason we should go to Mars and investigate this pentangular/hexagonal basaltic rock. It will be a jolly quest.

The Devils Postpile National Monument (which might actually be in South Dakota) near the ski resort of Mammoth Mtn. in the High Sierras in California has a structure of basalt in hexagonal columns which are falling off of the cliffside area above the road.

My suspicions are there isn't more of this kind of rock in the local area of the photo. It might be a lump of basalt that was ejected in a volcanic event , went high enough to have time to cool off and make the geometric shape, then fell back and landed on the ground.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:56 pm

I didn't identify it as part of a basaltic column, I believe it to be the remnant of a trapped pocket of gas in a basaltic rock that went through a slow cooling stage allowing the development of a hexagonal crystalline structure similar to that of a basaltic column. There is simply not enough data to make an accurate assessment. In a "hands on" lab it would take about 2 minutes to make a accurate assessment.
Speculation ≠ Science

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:39 pm

"Hands On" Sounds like a good arguing point for a manned mission, which in my opinion would be more productive than any possible robotic sample return mission.

You can't beat Hands On.

What we would need to do though, is to visit all of Opportunities sites and recover/return samples of contention like bounce rock trilobite and blueberry urchins as well as suspected Stromatolite features.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Re: The poor attempts at personal attack continue

Post by Andy Wade » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:33 am

aichip wrote: If you feel your attack should be of a more direct nature, as in to resolve this honorably, feel free. You can find me if you want to.
Did you just challenge him to a duel?
Awesome!
You really are a Knight!
May I be your squire? :)
Regards,
Andy.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:13 am

aichip aka sir shultz I can show you many pictures of clouds that remind animals but that wouldn't add much to the topic. Also, this sir thing etc. What I am saying is that you might find this thread in Cafe one morning ;)

aichip
Science Officer

Got it.

Post by aichip » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Verb sap, point taken.
Cheers!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:21 am

Hello All and aichip

Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

Long live life on Mars.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

ckam
Science Officer

Re: About NASA and shorelines

Post by ckam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:05 am

aichip wrote:Look into the work done by Gil Levin and also Derek Sears. They have already proven that liquid water can exist quite well on the surface of Mars.
In connection to recent question I went to look up this work, but guess what, this very thread pops up as #1 at google.com for Gil Levin Derek Sears. So. Where do I find it?

aichip
Science Officer

Here is a good start

Post by aichip » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:13 am

Try the following links:

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/5717.htm

Here is some of Sears' earlier work that led him to the experiments:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/1496.pdf

And here is the report in Physorg about the results:

http://www.physorg.com/news7981.html

Most places charge for you to read the results, unfortunately...
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2005/2 ... 3443.shtml

However, here is the full report in PDF format. Enjoy!

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2004/pdf/2159.pdf
Cheers!

ckam
Science Officer

Re: Here is a good start

Post by ckam » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:32 pm

aichip wrote:However, here is the full report in PDF format. Enjoy!

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2004/pdf/2159.pdf
So they wrote:Implications for Mars: The existence of solute ions in the water does not decrease evaporation rates so this is not a mechanism for increasing the stability of water on Mars. However, the suppression of the freezing point caused by the presence of solute in the water does enlarge
the stability field of water.

aichip
Science Officer

Broad range for water on Mars

Post by aichip » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:37 am

Exactly! With the result of the experiments, it is easy to see that soil, soaked with this brine, can remain wet as long as the temperatures do not bring it below freezing (which can now be -20C or lower), and that below the top layer of dry material, the moisture can remain across a wider range as well.

So mud can exist under the existing conditions, because the soil itself acts to suppress evaporation and boiling. The same force that sticks the grains together (Van der Waals attraction) keeps the water from evaporating. The presence of the salts and the soil itself can extend the range of liquid and permit its existence.

What is also very interesting is the fact that recent maps of the pressure and temperature show that even without taking salts into account, on much of the surface of Mars, liquid can exist for 8 months out of the Martian year. This is particularly true in the lower elevations such as the Hellas basin.

Now, when we take salt, soil, and the results of this study together, we see a case for water (and extreme halophile organisms) for a very significant part of the year, at the least. Now imagine the brine shrimp and other similar organisms, and we see how there can even be extant organisms on the planet in some areas today.

By the way, two chapters of my book are available on my site for download, and they detail my research on geysers and water on Mars. The material is free and available here:

http://xenotechresearch.com/fossilguide.htm

The material should answer any questions you have about water on Mars. Everything is fully referenced.

Happy Holidays!
Cheers!

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:06 am

Now, when we take salt, soil, and the results of this study together, we see a case for water (and extreme halophile organisms) for a very significant part of the year, at the least. Now imagine the brine shrimp and other similar organisms, and we see how there can even be extant organisms on the planet in some areas today.
Great! Now I can pour the contents from my car battery in to a beaker, add a handful of salt and some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide), put it in a vacuum freezer and grow my very own Martian sea monkeys.
Speculation ≠ Science

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm

This is what a investigative research paper should contain, based on concrete science that, right or wrong, can advance the question in a direction that leads to a non-speculative solution.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two NASA space probes that visited Mars 30 years ago may have found alien microbes on the Red Planet and inadvertently killed them, a scientist is theorizing.

The Viking space probes of 1976-77 were looking for the wrong kind of life, so they didn't recognize it, a geology professor at Washington State University said.

Dirk Schulze-Makuch presented his theory in a paper delivered at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle, Washington.

The paper was released Sunday.

Based on a more expansive view of where life can take root, the paper's findings may prompt NASA to look for a different type of Martian life when its next spacecraft to visit Mars is launched later this year, one of the space agency's top scientists said.

Last month, scientists excitedly reported that new photographs of Mars showed geologic changes that suggest water occasionally flows there -- the most tantalizing sign that Mars is hospitable to life.

In the 1970s, the Viking mission found no signs of life.

But it was looking for Earth-like life, in which salt water is the internal liquid of living cells.

Given the cold dry conditions of Mars, life could have evolved on Mars with the key internal fluid consisting of a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide, said Schulze-Makuch.

That's because a water-hydrogen peroxide mix stays liquid at very low temperatures, or -68 degrees Fahrenheit, and doesn't destroy cells when it freezes. It can suck water vapor out of the air.

The Viking experiments of the 1970s wouldn't have noticed hydrogen peroxide-based life and, in fact, would have killed it by drowning and overheating the microbes, said Schulze-Makuch.

One Viking experiment seeking life on Mars poured water on soil. That would have essentially drowned hydrogen peroxide-based life, he said. And different experiment heated the soil to see if something would happen which would have baked Martian microbes.

"The problem was that they didn't have any clue about the environment on Mars at that time," Schulze-Makuch said. "This kind of adaptation makes sense from a biochemical viewpoint."

Even Earth has something somewhat related. He points to an Earth bug called the bombardier beetle that produces a boiling-hot spray that is 25 percent hydrogen peroxide as a defense weapon.

Schulze-Makuch acknowledges he can't prove that Martian microbes exist, but given the Martian environment and how evolution works, "it makes sense."

In recent years, scientists have found life on Earth in conditions that were once thought too harsh, such as an ultra-acidic river in Spain and ice-covered lakes in Antarctica.

Schulze-Makuch's research coincides with work being completed by a National Research Council panel nicknamed the "weird life" committee. The group worries that scientists may be too Earth-centric when looking for extraterrestrial life.

The problem for scientists is that "you only find what you're looking for," said Penn State University geosciences professor Katherine Freeman, a reviewer of the NRC work.

A new NASA Mars mission called Phoenix is set for launch this summer, and one of the scientists involved said he is eager to test the new theory about life on Mars.

However, scientists must come up with a way to do that using the mission's existing scientific instruments, said NASA astrobiologist and Phoenix co-investigator Chris McKay.

He said the Washington State scientist's paper piqued his interest.

"Logical consistency is nice, but it's not enough anymore," McKay said.

Other experts said the new concept is plausible, but more work is needed before they are convinced.

"I'm open to the possibility that it could be the case," said astrobiologist Mitch Sogin of the Marine Biological Lab in Woods Hole, Massachusetts.

A member of the National Research Council committee, Sogin also cautioned against "just-so stories about what is possible."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Speculation ≠ Science

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:This is what a investigative research paper should contain, based on concrete science that, right or wrong, can advance the question in a direction that leads to a non-speculative solution.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two NASA ................ what is possible."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
OOPS.
Is that a copywrite infringement??? :shock:

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:40 pm

Nope, I just quoted. :D
Speculation ≠ Science

aichip
Science Officer

Peroxide does not exist in the Martian soil

Post by aichip » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:48 pm

This is nonsense, supported by simple chemistry.

NASA claims that the two major salts in the Martian soil are iron sulfate and magnesium sulfate. This is backed up by APXS data as well as other instrument data. I agree with this result.

Now, up to 40% of the soil in Gusev and Meridiani consists of sulfate salts, also according to their own data. In fact, the bedrock in Gusev is stated by Steven Squyres et. al. to be a mixture of aggregates cemented together by these salts. Again, this is supported by the APXS and the Mossbauer spectrometers.

So here is the problem. Iron sulfate immediately and aggressively destroys peroxide. Just try it. Get some iron sulfate and pour a little peroxide on it. But be careful, if you use peroxide that is not dilute, the results can be explosive. Stick with the drug store solution.

What you will see is very illuminating. It immediately turns rust brown instead of pale yellow and it starts bubbling oxygen gas. Since we do not see any significant oxygen gas in the Martian atmosphere, this reaction is not happening. Since we know that iron sulfate is present, then peroxide cannot be. And since other peroxides are hypothesized to form from the initial presence of hydrogen peroxide, we know that they cannot have formed.

There is no weaseling or waffling here. Peroxides do not and cannot exist in the Martian soil. NASA's own data show that. More to the point, the oceans of Mars were not highly acidic in nature. The results of the loss of that water is clear all around the planet, but battery acid is not a factor here, again for very simple chemical reasons that seem, somehow, to escape the big brains in our space agencies. Just like the peroxide issue.
Cheers!

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:49 am

There is no weaseling or waffling here. Peroxides do not and cannot exist in the Martian soil.
H2O2 doesn't exist in the Martian soil but it is part of a reactant cycle of surface materials, though not understood at the time the Viking Landers first verified the existence of H2O2 in the 70's and has had confirmation by the rovers, Mars Orbiter ....
The results of the loss of that water is clear all around the planet, but battery acid is not a factor here, again for very simple chemical reasons that seem, somehow, to escape the big brains in our space agencies. Just like the peroxide issue.
So it's not H2SO4, there is a evidence of a multitude on compounds that the only explanation of there existence is by precipitating from a strong acidic environment equivalent to the re-activeness of sulfuric acid, and I'll spot you a point for the molar concentration. Also the lack of various types of clay (clay is the inert "stuff" left after acids and salts metabolize their reactive potential), life is a very efficient catalyst for producing clay.
Speculation ≠ Science

aichip
Science Officer

Identify the instrument that found peroxides

Post by aichip » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:
H2O2 doesn't exist in the Martian soil but it is part of a reactant cycle of surface materials, though not understood at the time the Viking Landers first verified the existence of H2O2 in the 70's and has had confirmation by the rovers, Mars Orbiter ....
Then you can tell me which instrument(s) were used to find these hypothetical peroxides. Viking was not capable of identifying peroxide, nor did it identify peroxide. No lander or orbiter has yet been equipped with the hardware needed to locate or identify peroxides of any type on Mars.

The presence of peroxides was theorized by researchers trying to find an alternate explanation to the results of Viking; those results seemed to indicate both life and organic compounds. A flawed instrument, the GCMS, which is literally blind to organic compounds, was used to dismiss the results of the detection of organic matter even though it could not be relied on to even find organic matter (or its absence).

In short, no peroxides have ever been found on Mars. This is all theories and wishful thinking by people who do not want to face the fact that processes and tests indicated the presence of life.

Now let's look at the new information and papers in question to help resolve this clearly.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0610/0610093.pdf

From the original paper:
(2) Chemical explanations for the Viking lander experiments (particularly the evolution of O2 upon wetting) require a strong oxidizer at sufficiently high concentration, which has still not been identified.
In other words, they do not know what chemical might have done this. This does not say that peroxide was identified.
(3) There is no satisfactory explanation for the 30 % rise in CO2, the near doubling of N2, or the surprising large rise of O2, from 4 nmol to about 520 nmol, in the GasExchange Experiment.
They are saying that if you take only chemistry as the explanation, they cannot account for what they saw. NO SATISFACTORY EXPLANATION, including hypothetical peroxide molecules.
(4) No convincing mechanism had been proposed for the small but significant synthesis of organic material in the Pyrolytic Release Experiment (Table 1). This amount could not come from the synthesis by UV radiation since an optical filter to screen out the UV wavelengths below 320 nanometers was included in the experiment.
Take special notice of this statement. Organic matter was formed when the Pyrolytic Release Experiment was performed. Something in the test chamber made more organic molecules than when the experiment started. This is called "life". They made certain that ultraviolet light could not have done this, so that eliminates any reasonable explanation other than the presence of life.

Now let's look at the news release.

http://www.wsutoday.wsu.edu/Print_compl ... oryID=3551
Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidant. When released from dying cells, it would sharply lower the amount of organic material in their surroundings.
NOTE: the presence or existence of these organisms is still speculative.
This would help explain why Viking’s gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer detected no organic compounds on the surface of Mars.
NOTE: The GCMS was not capable of detecting organic compounds if less than a billion cells per gram are present. The instrument is in effect blind.
This result has also been questioned recently by Rafael Navarro-Gonzalez of the University of Mexico, who reported that similar instruments and methodology are unable to detect organic compounds in places on Earth, such as Antarctic dry valleys, where we know soil microorganisms exist.
NOTE: The GCMS is not capable of detecting organic matter (as shown by this article) yet other instruments did in fact indicate organic matter.
The possibility that the tests killed the organisms they were looking for is also consistent with the results of the Pyrolytic Release experiment, in which radiolabeled CO2 was converted to organic compounds by samples of Martian soil. Of the seven tests done, three showed significant production of organic substances and one showed much higher production.
NOTE: Actually, seven of nine tests performed indicated the presence of organic matter. But also notice that in the past, they denied any organic matter being found, yet now they admit that four tests were actually positive. In other words, now they have changed their story.

So just in these short paragraphs, we find that they now admit that some of the test show the presence of organic matter in the Martian soil, that some of the tests showed that something in the soil was making new organic matter, that they did not actually identify peroxides, and that the GCMS, the instrument claimed to discount life, was in fact blind to the presence of organic matter.

BUt still, NASA insists that there is peroxide in the soil, not just at the surface. Let's see.

In a recent article in National Geographic, the following statement appears:
“Dust storms on Mars appear to be creating a snow of bleachlike chemicals that make their way into the planet's soil—rendering life as we know it impossible on the red planet's surface, scientists report.”
They are clearly stating that the peroxide is getting into the soil, not just on the surface.

The next line in the report reads:
“The announcement comes close to the tenth anniversary—August 6, 1996—of the now discredited claim by NASA scientists that they had discovered evidence of life on Mars inside a Martian meteor found in Antarctica.”
Here is a problem- the claims were never "discredited", simply dismissed. Nobody has yet found a way to discredit the ALH84001 results. Instead, they ignore them or sweep them under the rug. That is why there is still such a controversy among the researchers. If the results were discredited, then there would be an article showing exactly how and why. No such article exists.

Let’s look at the next statement.
“The toxic chemicals cited in the new study, including hydrogen peroxide, are created by the action of static electricity generated by dust devils.”
No, the toxic chemicals are theorized to be created by the action of static
electricity in dust devils. Already, the logical disjoints are showing up. This is still purely a theory, and no such observations have in fact been made. All they have at this point is a pretty theory. Let’s move on.
“Dust devils are swirling vortexes that can tower several miles high and a quarter-mile (about a half a kilometer) wide at the base. They're not tornados, but on Earth they can pack enough punch to knock people off their feet.”
This is a true statement. Dust devils are also seen on Mars and have been photographed many times by satellites orbiting the planet as well as rovers on the surface. So far all we really know for sure is that there are dust devils on Mars.
“The new research applies what is known about Earthly dust devils to conditions in the thinner Martian atmosphere.”
This is typically a fairly safe move- study a phenomenon and then apply it to other cases. This sounds like a reasonable step for a researcher. Let’s see how it evolves:
“We spent years chasing dust devils in the Arizona desert with a special instrumented truck," said Gregory Delory, a physicist from the University of California, Berkeley. Delory is the lead author of one of two papers on the subject published in the most recent issue of the journal Astrobiology.
So we have a physicist who has studied dust devils and is applying his
expertise to Martian dust devils. Again, this is probably a safe step. Now they state:
“The researchers found that Martian dust devils would create large amounts of static electricity.”
How did they find this out? Did they create a dust devil in a near vacuum? This part is a little hazy.
"It's analogous to rubbing your feet against the carpet and shocking someone," Delory said.”
Static is in fact generated easily by dry moving air, so there is some merit to this concept.
“The static fields aren't strong enough to produce lightning bolts, but they do produce sparks.”
Here again it is a little hazy. The statement is that the static electricity
made by these dust storms is not very great. But in the thin atmosphere of Mars, we would expect a soft glow discharge like the interior of a plasma ball. Charged objects might have a faint glow and the discharge would quickly drain away the static.

Moving right along:
“These sparks break water and carbon dioxide molecules in the atmosphere apart and allow them to recombine into bleachlike chemicals, including hydrogen peroxide, the scientists say.”
Well, yes, this is known to be possible on Earth where there is a thick
atmosphere to help the buildup of a static charge. But on Mars, we would expect that the charge would bleed away rapidly like a fluorescent tube or plasma ball, and not accumulate well on an object. If you think about how thin the air is, this makes perfect sense. Now for the next statement:
“So much hydrogen peroxide is formed, in fact, that it would fall to the ground as snow.”
Wait a minute- just a moment ago we were discussing a theory, but now, somehow, this is “in fact”. No such observation has been made, no such experiments have been documented, and remember that NASA strongly stresses how rare water is in the Martian atmosphere. Suddenly there is “in fact” enough to snow hydrogen peroxide on the ground when there is a dust storm.
“This explains a conundrum dating back to 1976, when the first Mars landers, Viking 1 and Viking 2, failed to find any trace of organic matter in the Martian soil.”
This is absolutely false. The Pyrolytic Release Experiment found organic
matter in 7 of 9 samples tested. Plenty of organic matter showed up in the Martian soil, but this result, like the LRE results and the Martian meteorite results, are being ignored. And just a few paragraphs above, NASA has finaly admitted to four of the tests showing organic matter. So which is it? NASA has supplied two differing "facts" here. In one, there was no organic matter found. In another, the tests showed organic matter in 4 cases. In fact, tests showed organic matter in 7 out of the 9 cases.

So here you see that NASA itself has made different claims on the same material, that some researchers using the data have found that organic matter is in fact forming in the tests, that no peroxides have been found, but only theorized about. We also see how they bring a lie to life- "so much peroxide is formed in fact" when no such fact exists. It is no more than a pretty story.

Now, let's face head on one other issue that is totally ignored in the above National Geographic article. For one mole of hydrogen peroxide to form, you must start with two moles of water.

The reaction is simple: (2)H2O + UV = (1)H2O2 + (1)H2

Again, no weasel words, and no waffling. This is a physical fact. If enough hydrogen peroxide were present to snow out on the ground, there would already be conditions to produce twice as much snow in the form of water ice. And, it would form more readily since snow forms at a higher temperature than hydrogen peroxide snow.

In summary: Meridiani is in fact a seabed, there are present day fossils, the soil is muddy with brine, and geysers are presently erupting there now. There is no peroxide in the soil, because iron sulfate salts will instantly destroy it, there is no peroxide snow because water ice would form twice as much and much more easily. The mysterious "car wash" incidents that keep cleaning off Opportunity's solar panels are exactly that, most likely from geyser spray. And, NASA will keep lying or omitting just as these article show because they are not willing to admit that there is life on Mars and that there has been life on Mars.

Dr. Skeptic wrote:
So it's not H2SO4, there is a evidence of a multitude on compounds that the only explanation of there existence is by precipitating from a strong acidic environment equivalent to the re-activeness of sulfuric acid, and I'll spot you a point for the molar concentration.
You are backpedalling from your claims of "battery acid." But show us the evidence. There are sulfates on Earth, are you claiming that we had oceans of sulfuric acid here? That fact destroys your theory. Sulfates are easily created in low concentration reactions that would be perfectly safe for living organisms. There is no need to invoke extremes of chemistry or condition. Once the water dries up or freezes, the minerals and salts are left behind.

(No Martian organisms were dipped in sulfuric acid during the production of this posting.)
Last edited by aichip on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!

kovil
Science Officer

Beneath thy slumbering soils sleeps the spirit of aeons past

Post by kovil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:32 pm

"They are saying that if you take only chemistry as the explanation, they cannot account for what they saw. NO SATISFACTORY EXPLANATION, including hypothetical peroxide molecules. "

"Take special notice of this statement. Organic matter was formed when the Pyrolytic Release Experiment was performed. Something in the test chamber made more organic molecules than when the experiment started. This is called "life". They made certain that ultraviolet light could not have done this, so that eliminates any reasonable explanation other than the presence of life."

"NOTE: Actually, seven of nine tests performed indicated the presence of organic matter. But also notice that in the past, they denied any organic matter being found, yet now they admit that four tests were actually positive. In other words, now they have changed their story.

So just in these short paragraphs, we find that they now admit that some of the test show the presence of organic matter in the Martian soil, that some of the tests showed that something in the soil was making new organic matter, that they did not actually identify peroxides, and that the GCMS, the instrument claimed to discount life, was in fact blind to the presence of organic matter. "

"This is a true statement. Dust devils are also seen on Mars and have been photographed many times by satellites orbiting the planet as well as rovers on the surface. So far all we really know for sure is that there are dust devils on Mars.

Wait a minute- just a moment ago we were discussing a theory, but now, somehow, this is “in fact”. No such observation has been made, no such experiments have been documented, and remember that NASA strongly stresses how rare water is in the Martian atmosphere. Suddenly there is “in fact” enough to snow hydrogen peroxide on the ground when there is a dust storm.

Quote:
“This explains a conundrum dating back to 1976, when the first Mars landers, Viking 1 and Viking 2, failed to find any trace of organic matter in the Martian soil.”

This is absolutely false. The Pyrolytic Release Experiment found organic
matter in 7 of 9 samples tested. Plenty of organic matter showed up in the Martian soil, but this result, like the LRE results and the Martian meteorite results, are being ignored. And just a few paragraphs above, NASA has finaly admitted to four of the tests showing organic matter. So which is it? NASA has supplied two differing "facts" here. In one, there was no organic matter found. In another, the tests showed organic matter in 4 cases. In fact, tests showed organic matter in 7 out of the 9 cases.

So here you see that NASA itself has made different claims on the same material, that some researchers using the data have found that organic matter is in fact forming in the tests, that no peroxides have been found, but only theorized about. We also see how they bring a lie to life- "so much peroxide is formed in fact" when no such fact exists. It is no more than a pretty story.

Now, let's face head on one other issue that is totally ignored in the above National Geographic article. For one mole of hydrogen peroxide to form, you must start with two moles of water.

The reaction is simple: (2)H2O + UV + (1)H2O2 + (1)H2

Again, no weasel words, and no waffling. This is a physical fact. If enough hydrogen peroxide were present to snow out on the ground, there would already be conditions to produce twice as much snow in the form of water ice. And, it would form more readily since snow forms at a higher temperature than hydrogen peroxide snow.

In summary: Meridiani is in fact a seabed, there are present day fossils, the soil is muddy with brine, and geysers are presently erupting there now. There is no peroxide in the soil, because iron sulfate salts will instantly destroy it, there is no peroxide snow because water ice would form twice as much and much more easily. The mysterious "car wash" incidents that keep cleaning off Opportunity's solar panels are exactly that, most likely from geyser spray. And, NASA will keep lying or omitting just as these article show because they are not willing to admit that there is life on Mars and that there has been life on Mars."

TOTALLY GREAT POST aichip !!!!!

My imagination is jumping to the idea that there is some kind of hibernating beast that has buried itself under the Martian soil by some meters and it occaisonally excretes a geyser of whatever !! It is waiting for the atmosphere to return, and the rivers too. It has been sleeping for a very long time !

Here in northern Nevada, when I trenched 5' deep for the 2" water lines and electric too, from the pump house to the house, frogs would appear the next day in the bottom of the trench !! Where did they come from ? The river is 1-1/2 miles away and never a frog here otherwise (in the summer they are hearable from the river, so loud !) They would be trying to bury themselves in the soft soil at the trench bottom. I took them out but they jumped back in. I finally gave up and buried them at backfill time.
I suspect they have buried themselves to wait for the Lahontan Sea to return again. That was 9,000 years ago ? Looking deeply into their eyes was a most peaceful inscrutable blackness; and I felt they might have been in hibernation for thousands of years. Is that possible? As I have never seen a frog or toad (whichever they are) at any time here other than when freshly digging a trench, I assume they must be in the soil and I dig them up and a day later they wake up. So they are hibernated for 12 years at least, and how much longer ??? If that happens here, why not on Mars.

Be ware of where you dig on Mars !!! hahaha

There are dust devils here in the summertime. The shape of the hills causes them to follow the same paths every summer. One day a very large one was in the bare dirt area 1/2 mile away, I was thinking it would be nice if it stopped there, as the dust makes it possible to see it then. It stopped at the top of the rise and stood there for 30 seconds, it's height rising 1000' or so. The 30' diameter base was swirling magnificently ! Then slowly, 7 that I could see, evenly spaced tiny tornadoes formed at the perimeter !!!!!!! It was like a regal crown of nature !! A Hindu God with Bhoddisattvas in attendance and slowly dancing/swirling to the right. I wished for a camera ! All I could do was marvel at its beauty, it waited for another 15 seconds, and as I turned away from lack of attention span it began to dissolve. Experiences like this in the desert make one wonder if consciousness is connected with nature.

Another one was chasing silent lightening storms that formed every day in the Sonora desert, who's lightening bolts were so big and bright, yet absolutely silent, I began to wonder if they were truly real; but that's an entirely 'nother song, as Ramblin Jack Elliot would say.

One more in honor for Dr. King today; One very breezy day while walking back from the section corner where the big dust devil did its regal crown for the day escapade,
justupon approaching the powerpole at the gravelroad a fullsheet of newspaperfolded, which I'd noticed on the way out and was going to retrieve on its escape from a distant neighbors trash, at 100 feet away the wind lifted it and it opened and Keiko Matsui's song "Paper Spirit" instantly came to mind as it began to climb enough to clear the sagebrush and then slowly rose higher and higher soaring as the wind carried it aloft. It's flight of dip and rise, turn and lose the wind, then catch it and rise higher. A dance of awakening to life, pause and rest and almost lose it ! Then to awaken and catch it again ! I watched it for several minutes, continuing to gain height. At 2-3 miles away and 300-500 feet high it went beyond my eyes to see. If you hear her song from "A Drop of Water" cd, you'll see what I mean/

= = =

Reading Dr. Skeptics post again, I’m thinking the Viking H2O2 precipitates may have their origin in the decelerant fuel expended at incoming, condensing afterwards as a morning dew; eh Laddie !

aichip
Science Officer

Repeated episodes of sedimentation forming

Post by aichip » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:31 pm

If we look at the images of Victoria Crater, we can see where the sedimentation is oriented differently as the depth increases. Here is a good image:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 52R2M1.JPG

You can see that the lower layering is angled at roughly 30 degrees with respect to the overlying sediments. This is very interesting in that it indicates that the ground has in fact risen or shifted significantly, in opposition to the claims that the planet is geologically dead.

The overlying sediments are at a different angle because the ground has moved. I can think of a couple of good reasons for this, such as a magma intrusion underground at some ancient time, causing the level to change a great deal. But we can also see that it appears that the oceans dried up before this happened, then serious erosion occurred to flatten the area out, then the oceans returned and more sedimentation occurred.

So just based on this layering, it would seem that the oceans of Mars are episodic, definitely at odds with the "dry for billions of years" theories. And this is logical, knowing that so much ice is on the planet today, and underground. It would only take a little heating and the planet would be covered with oceans again for a while, once the ice began to melt.

Anyone up for a little terraforming project?
Cheers!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:18 am

Hello aichip

All very interesting

Just letting you know that I read your comments and others.

Keep up the good work.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Science is obtaining data, then stating a hypothesis, not the other way around.

Blindly hypothesizing there is life on Mars and biasing the data set to support the hypothesis is equivalent to medieval alchemy.
Speculation ≠ Science