garden

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: garden

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Looks like a green furry crawdaddy with wings

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 am

owlice wrote:They are VERY cute! Don't you wish you could pet one?
Actually i haven't seen a Humming Moth since........sometime last century. I think around the time i got to pet some honey bees and bumble bees. As i remember, down in back of my house where the filled in land meets the swamp, one year there was a really big production of pollen bearing flowers and the bees were getting "drunk" on all the pollen. Some of them almost looked like they had rolled in it. Anyway, that's when i discovered it's a good time to pet them. They are more tolerant then and usually only put up their two front legs to try and get you to stop bothering them. They are fuzzy, but awful hard to tell when you are actually petting them. i could just about feel the fuzz. I wouldn't try petting them unless they were laden with pollen like that. Bumble bees were easier to feel the fuzz on then the honey bees. AHHH, one can never tell where one may get a "buzz" from.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:27 am

owlice wrote: Hummingbird Moth
Thanks Owlice; that's what I saw! 8-) I learned something new again. Well new to me anyway.
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 am

It's getting close to time to clean up my garden! I noticed my wife's hostas; which are near my garden; are attracting some bumble bees. I'll keep a lookout while working in the garden. I'd hate to disturb them. I don't want to get them mad. :P
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:55 pm

By all means...Bee careful

Gemini
Asternaut

Post by Gemini » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 am

I wish my grandpa would do the same , we used to buy some for halloween , but it's definitely better if you can grow your own :)
I hope i will have a little garden later to do the same :D

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Gemini wrote:I wish my grandpa would do the same , we used to buy some for halloween , but it's definitely better if you can grow your own :)
I hope i will have a little garden later to do the same :D
If you do; be prepared to give them room. I had one reach over 40 feet from it's roots this year. :D
Orin

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Gemini wrote:I wish my grandpa would do the same
Maybe if you bought the packet of seeds and offered to plant them with him, he'd get the idea, and even if he didn't, he'd probably still appreciate spending the time with you preparing the garden and planting them. And you'd still get pumpkins!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

owlice wrote:Maybe if you bought the packet of seeds and offered to plant them with him, he'd get the idea, and even if he didn't, he'd probably still appreciate spending the time with you preparing the garden and planting them. And you'd still get pumpkins!
You should start your own advice column, Go ask Owlice! :wink:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 am

bystander wrote: You should start your own advice column, Go ask Owlice! :wink:
I liked gardening with my grandfather; I wish it had occurred to me to ask to plant pumpkins. I think we'd have both liked watching them grow.
bystander wrote:
Groooovy.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 am

I just remembered, Humming Moths do Hum, but not quite as noticable as Humming birds and the tone is slightly different. It's usually the Humming bird type of motion that catches your eye first.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

camellia89
Asternaut

Post by camellia89 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:50 am

well, i have a large garden and in this, i plant a lot of trees, vegetable.

hero01hero
Asternaut

Post by hero01hero » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:29 am

hi guys,

before anything else
my name is dei and i am a newbie in this area
hope to enjoy stay in here

good day to all :D

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

camellia89 wrote:well, i have a large garden and in this, i plant a lot of trees, vegetable.
hero01hero wrote:hi guys,

before anything else
my name is dei and i am a newbie in this area
hope to enjoy stay in here

good day to all :D
Welcome to Starship Asterisk! :)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Weather permitting; I'm going to take care of that project today of cleaning up my garden. There is still some tomatoes out there that will ripen off the plants. I've been glazing my windows; and painting the trim around the house. Wish there was an easy way. I'm not too good about ladders anymore. :)
Orin

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:58 am

orin stepanek wrote:I like to have a little garden. I always plant a few pumpkins for the grandchildren. This year the pumpkins produced so early that I don't think they will last until Halloween. I've had them in the basement for almost a month now and so far they are still OK. Next year I'll wait until the first of July to plant them. :D
Hi Orin,

How's your pumpkin crop? Almost Halloween!

My wife is the gardener at our house. But she has to deal with a yard packed with oak trees. She cultivates plants that are pretty to look at but not to eat. I don't know much about gardening but I enjoy the benefit of a wife that does. I'm a circuit board designer so she thinks I know a lot about computers... I just laugh. I was walking with one of my daughters the other night and pointed out the bright spot near the Moon and explained it was Jupiter... my family also think I know something about astronomy... I just laugh.

Hope your having a good day! And thank you for helping make me feel at home at SA*. I enjoy reading your posts.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Ed! I was able to take 3 over for the Grand kids. I kept one for ourselves. I'm surprised they kept so long since I had to harvest them early. 8-) I have a lot of shade in the back yard also; but It does get plenty of morning sun so I can plant some vegetables and so we get a lot of tomatoes. I freeze them so I have home grown tomatoes for Chile and sauce over the winter. :D I really have fun with the pumpkins. They take up so much room that I have to steer the vines away from my neighbors. :mrgreen:
Orin

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:11 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Hi Ed! I was able to take 3 over for the Grand kids. I kept one for ourselves. I'm surprised they kept so long since I had to harvest them early. 8-) I have a lot of shade in the back yard also; but It does get plenty of morning sun so I can plant some vegetables and so we get a lot of tomatoes. I freeze them so I have home grown tomatoes for Chile and sauce over the winter. :D I really have fun with the pumpkins. They take up so much room that I have to steer the vines away from my neighbors. :mrgreen:
Any two Asternauts casually connected ANYTIME after the early inflation period of the universe remain casually connected in perpetuity(; or, at least, that was the situation PRIOR to the recent new 'dark energy' inflation period.) This includes stepaneks descending into back yards who remain permanently plastered just outside the back yard's event horizon. :wink:
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 am

Orin, maybe next year, you'll grow extras for any cats near you!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:36 pm

owlice wrote:Orin, maybe next year, you'll grow extras for any cats near you!
I hope they don't attract cats that big! :roll: :shock: 8-) I did like your clip though; and Art's too.That was a feisty little cat.
Orin

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Orin,

What have I done? I am such a liar. I should die right now.

Not about enjoying reading your posts but about my dragon representing the solar prominence :?:

Am I like Peyton, my fiesty little kitty? And your teaching me a lesson? I use gentle strokes to teach Peyton... I even let him into the Man Cave. But you know all this... why am I telling you... never mind ... I got it... I'm a little slow,.. you're not teaching me right now Thank you... im a little slow :D
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:57 pm

emc wrote:Hi Orin,

What have I done? I am such a liar. I should die right now.

Not about enjoying reading your posts but about my dragon representing the solar prominence :?:

Am I like Peyton, my fiesty little kitty? And your teaching me a lesson? I use gentle strokes to teach Peyton... I even let him into the Man Cave. But you know all this... why am I telling you... never mind ... I got it... I'm a little slow,.. you're not teaching me right now Thank you... im a little slow :D
I'm probably the one that's a little slow. I take it that Peyton is pretty playful? I have a feisty little dog though. Sassy barks when my wife comes home; and whenever she sees something moving outside! Her perch in the living room gives her a good view!
At the end of Art's clip; the cat grabbed at something. Perhaps an unlikely nose. I couldn't tell for sure. that's why I called it a feisty kitty. :mrgreen:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:22 pm

:D
8-)
Orin

emc