Is Ann a Swedish NC(i)S mole?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Is Ann a Swedish NC(i)S mole?

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:00 pm

[img3="Swedish NC(i)S mole: Ann "ABBA" Sciuto?"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Sciuto.png[/img3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Color_System

<<The Natural Color System (NCS) is a proprietary perceptual color model published by the Scandinavian Colour Institute (Skandinaviska Färginstitutet AB) of Stockholm, Sweden. It is based on the color opponency description of color vision, first proposed by German physiologist Ewald Hering.

The underlying physiological mechanisms involved in color opponency include the bipolar and ganglion cells in the retina, which process the signal originated by the retinal cones before it is sent to the brain. A model like RGB describes what happens at the lower, retinal cone level, and thus is very well fitted for the task of "fooling the eye" as done by TV sets and computer displays. The NCS model, for its part, describes the organization of the color sensations as perceived at the upper, brain level, and thus is much better fitted than RGB to deal with how humans experience and describe their color sensations (hence the "natural" part of its name); but it would be useless, for example, for describing the behaviour of mixing lights and pigments.

The NCS is based on the six elementary color percepts of human vision--the psychological primaries--as described by color opponency—white, black, red, yellow, green, and blue—which are difficult to define perceptually in terms of others (for example, one cannot describe color red as looking "like a yellow and magenta mixture", even though you will in fact get a red pigment by mixing yellow and magenta pigments). These six elementary colors are frequently chosen to paint educational toys, or for designs that try to appeal from their simplicity (such as the Olympic flag and the Microsoft Windows logo). All the other perceptual colors are composite perceptions that can be defined in terms of those six (for example, turquoise looks like "blue-green", orange like "a color that is both reddish and yellowish", and brown looks like "a very dark orange", that is, like a mixture of red, yellow and black). This all means the appearance of a color can be readily predicted from its NCS notation, whereas its notation in systems such as RGB often looks unintuitive (for example, yellow does not look like "a reddish-greenish color" at all, even though the yellow on an RGB monitor is obtained by mixing red and green lights). Note also that, under normal viewing circumstances, there is no hue that must be described as a mixture of opponent hues; that is, as a hue looking "redgreen" or "yellowblue".>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Is Ann a Swedish NC(i)S mole?

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 am

Hah! Thanks for that, Art! I had no idea about NCS! And it is Swedish and all. I don't know if I am such a mole, but I sure applaud anyone trying to create natural color!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 am

Ann wrote:
Hah! Thanks for that, Art! I had no idea about NCS! And it is Swedish and all.
I don't know if I am such a mole, but I sure applaud anyone trying to create natural color!
Are you a mole for W.I.N.C. then? :wink:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 am

Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th dimension, and anyone could come to that conclusion walking down the street and going to the store... I agree!!! Can I join these W.I.N.C. people? And can I wear a blue witch outfit if I do?

And hey, why hasn't anyone told the string theory people that they are wrong about their hypothesis that reality has ten or eleven dimensions? Can't they understand that the number of dimensions must be 49?

49! The true magic number! Why is everybody going on about 42? Don't they realize that the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 49? In color? Natural color? With a lot of blue in it?

I have solved the riddle of existence! There was no Big Bang. There was an Instant of Exaltricated Bursting Forth of the 49 Colors instead. The non-chromaticity of nothingness turned into the colors of Time, Space, the Expanding Universe, Saturation and Hue. Unfortunately the Exaltricated Bursting Forth of the 49 Colors begat the color-eating Entropy too, the enemy of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Well, the Earth is alive because it is so colorful. Jupiter, you are doing good, but you have to work harder on the blues, greens and purples. Saturn, you're out. You and your moons are all pale yellows, whites and off-whites, beiges, greys, browns, oranges and blacks. That won't do, you know. Those flashy rings won't get you anywyere. And Mars, you really, really have to work harder on your greens, blues and purples! You're not going anywhere until you do that!

But the Earth is the center of the universe and the Fountain of Life, because it contains all the colors of the Universe!

Ann the Color Commentator
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Ann as The Good Witch of the North
a.k.a., Queen of the Ozure Isles
a.k.a., Queen of the Munchkins

illustrated by W.W. Denslow (1900)
Ann wrote:
Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th dimension, and anyone could come to that conclusion walking down the street and going to the store... I agree!!! Can I join these W.I.N.C. people? And can I wear a blue witch outfit if I do?
A blue witch outfit? I'm not sure we have one of those.

How about a Blagojevich outfit? :wink: :wink:
Ann wrote:
And hey, why hasn't anyone told the string theory people that they are wrong about their hypothesis that reality has ten or eleven dimensions? Can't they understand that the number of dimensions must be 49?

49! The true magic number! Why is everybody going on about 42? Don't they realize that the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 49? In color? Natural color? With a lot of blue in it?

I have solved the riddle of existence! There was no Big Bang. There was an Instant of Exaltricated Bursting Forth of the 49 Colors instead. The non-chromaticity of nothingness turned into the colors of Time, Space, the Expanding Universe, Saturation and Hue. Unfortunately the Exaltricated Bursting Forth of the 49 Colors begat the color-eating Entropy too, the enemy of Life, the Universe and Everything.
[Color-eating Entropy : colontropy (where the yellow sun don't shine).]

Your suggestion that spacecolortime is 49-dimensional sounds just too much like proving the WINCie's are right. I'm not saying that the Ozmologists behind this claim may not be right. It's just that you are trying to prove something that so many people wish to be true, and you admit that there is no real evidence. I should also point out that the Asterisk* font "colour" bar has 53 "colours" NOT 72 colors.
Ann wrote:
Well, the Earth is alive because it is so colorful. Jupiter, you are doing good, but you have to work harder on the blues, greens and purples. Saturn, you're out. You and your moons are all pale yellows, whites and off-whites, beiges, greys, browns, oranges and blacks. That won't do, you know. Those flashy rings won't get you anywyere. And Mars, you really, really have to work harder on your greens, blues and purples! You're not going anywhere until you do that! But the Earth is the center of the universe and the Fountain of Life, because it contains all the colors of the Universe!

Ann the Color Commentator
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Oh, no Denslow illustrations, please! Neill's are ever so much more appealing!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Art wrote:
I should also point out that the Asterisk* font "colour" bar has 5 to the power of 3 "colours" NOT 7 to the power of 2 colors.
Ah, but that is because some of those colors are not primary colors, not in the 49th dimension. In the 49th dimension there are 49 primary colors which burst forth during the Exaltricated Instant of the Bursting Forth of the 49 Colors. Well, that goes without saying, doesn't it?

So which or the 5 to the power of 3 colors of the Asterisk* font colors are primary colors in the 49th dimension? Most of the blue ones are primary colors, but a lot of the others aren't. This one isn't a primary color, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is this one, nor is .... (fade to non-chromacity).

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 pm

owlice wrote:
Oh, no Denslow illustrations, please! Neill's are ever so much more appealing!!
Owlice: "You ought to be ashamed of yourself!"

_____ William Wallace Denslow's cute little Dorothy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wallace_Denslow wrote:
<<William Wallace Denslow (5 May 1856 – 27 May 1915) – usually credited as W. W. Denslow – was an illustrator and caricaturist remembered for his work in collaboration with author L. Frank Baum, especially his illustrations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Born in Philadelphia, Denslow spent brief periods at the National Academy of Design and the Cooper Union in New York, but was largely self-educated and self-trained. In the 1880s he traveled about the United States as an artist and newspaper reporter; he came to Chicago for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, and chose to stay. Denslow acquired his earliest reputation as a poster artist; he also designed books and bookplates. Denslow was an editorial cartoonist with a strong interest in politics, which has fueled political interpretations of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

After Denslow quarreled with Baum over royalty shares from the 1902 stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, for which Baum wrote the script and Denslow designed the sets and costumes, Baum determined not to work with him again. The royalties from the print and stage versions of The Wizard of Oz were sufficient to allow Denslow to purchase Bluck's Island in Bermuda,and crown himself King Denslow I. However, he drank his money away, and he died in obscurity, of pneumonia.>>
ImageImage
__ William Wallace Denslow (1900) _____|_ Denslow's "over the rainbow" home on Bluck's Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Neill wrote: <<John Rea Neill (November 12, 1877 - September 13, 1943) was a magazine and children's book illustrator primarily known for illustrating more than forty stories set in the Land of Oz, including L. Frank Baum's, Ruth Plumly Thompson's, and three of his own. His pen-and-ink drawings have become identified almost exclusively with the Oz series.

Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, John R. Neill did his first illustration work for the Philadelphia's Central High School newspaper in 1894-95. Neill dropped out of school after one semester because he said, "they have nothing to teach me".

He then turned to advertising art for the Wanamaker department store in Philadelphia. He was first commissioned to illustrate The Marvelous Land of Oz, the second Oz book L. Frank Baum wrote, published in 1904.

Originally, Neill's illustrations were slightly reminiscent of Denslow's to bring continuity and familiarity to the characters, although Neill's work in this period was far more reminiscent of the work of his contemporary and friend, illustrator Joseph Clement Coll. Denslow's illustrations had been quite popular. However, as the series expanded, Neill brought his own unique flair to the illustrations, showing more artistic representations of the characters as well as beautiful paintings of numerous scenes. In fact, he was later named the Imperial Illustrator of Oz.

Dorothy drawn by Denslow appeared to be a chubby five- or six-year-old with long brown hair in two braids. Neill chose to illustrate a new Dorothy in 1907 when the character was reintroduced in Ozma of Oz. He illustrated the young girl in a more fashionable appearance. She is shown to be about ten years old, dressed in contemporary American fashions, with blonde hair cut in a fashionable bob. A similar modernization was given other female characters.

Neill continued to illustrate the Oz books after Baum's death, and his artwork was praised for helping give Ruth Plumly Thompson's books "legitimacy" in the eyes of Baum's fans. Neill would eventually succeed Thompson as the designated "Oz historian" and write several books himself.

Neill's illustrations were published in the leading magazines of the first few decades of the twentieth century, including Collier's, Vanity Fair, The Saturday Evening Post, The Ladies Home Journal, Century, Pictorial Review, The Delineator, Boys' Life, St. Nicholas, The People's Home Journal, and many others. In 1930 and 1931, he contributed a great deal of artwork to Argosy.

The Oz books he wrote for the firm of Reilly & Lee are considered part of the Famous Forty, and appeared one a year from 1940 to 1942. These were The Wonder City of Oz, The Scalawagons of Oz, and Lucky Bucky in Oz. He had completed a draft of The Runaway in Oz shortly before his death, but had not illustrated it, although a suite of sketches survives, as well as several rough drawings for the front cover. Reilly & Lee decided not to publish the manuscript, and it lay untouched until 1995, when it was published by Books of Wonder, edited and with illustrations by Eric Shanower.>>
ImageImage
The original CP3O/R2D2 "special relationship?"
Art Neuendorffer