APOD: Prometheus Rising Through Saturns F Ring (2010 Oct 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Prometheus Rising Through Saturns F Ring (2010 Oct 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 am

Image Prometheus Rising Through Saturns F Ring

Explanation: What is that dark streak below Prometheus? Although it may look like a shadow or a trail blazed by sweeping up material, computer simulations indicate that the dark streak is better understood as an empty path pulled away by the gravity of Saturn's small moon. The particles don't follow Prometheus so much as glide sideways past where Prometheus used to be. One dark streamer is created during each pass of Prometheus through the F-ring that it shepherds. The streamers were unpredicted and first discovered in 2004 on high resolution images taken by the robotic Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn. Close inspection of the surface of Prometheus itself in the above image shows interesting structure and craters. The Cassini spacecraft arrived at Saturn in 2004 and, as it continues to function well, is now expected to continue to send back data and images from the distant ringed world until 2017.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD: Prometheus Rising Through Saturns F Ring (2010 Oct

Post by owlice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 am

Ah... ah... ah... ah...

(speechless!!!)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

A hot knife through butter

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:11 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 47#p128682
Art Neuendorffer

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:50 am

Long live Cassini !!!

OK folks - referring back to the photo for APOD on Aug 10, both that photo and this photo of Prometheus has it moving in the same direction through the F-ring. How does it get back to the outside of the ring in order to come through it in such a regular pattern? Is it moving in a spiral kind of pattern and touching the F-ring at only one point in its spiral path??

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:20 am

biddie67 wrote:OK folks - referring back to the photo for APOD on Aug 10, both that photo and this photo of Prometheus has it moving in the same direction through the F-ring. How does it get back to the outside of the ring in order to come through it in such a regular pattern? Is it moving in a spiral kind of pattern and touching the F-ring at only one point in its spiral path??
Well, it's in an unstable orbit because of its proximity to other moons that perturb it. But the main motion with respect to the F-ring isn't in and out, but up and down. Prometheus is slightly inclined with respect to the rings, so every orbit it passes through the ring plane twice, once up and once down. That's when it collides with the F-ring.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

León
Science Officer
AKA: Levon

Post by León » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:18 am

Prometheus with his shadow
Image ImageImage

moodle

Post by moodle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:21 am

Can anyone identify the little dot in the lower right corner of the photo?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

arrived
pretty sneaky; each letter was a link 8-) I liked the movies of Prometheus making the streamers. :)
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mX2Xpnst9w [/youtube]
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:13 pm

.... arrived ....

Sure missed the embedded string of links last night - too sleepy. Great way to have a quick review of Cassini's approach to Saturn!!!

thongar
Ensign

Post by thongar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Reading the caption on this beautiful picture, I am reminded of the following:

Chief Technical Writer - Sir, What is this Ground/Water Interface?

New Technical Writer - Why it's the Beach, Chief.

Chief Technical Writer - Then why the heck don't you use Beach?

When a large object (moon?) travels through a fluid medium (F Ring?) pushing said fluid (tiny Ice particles or the F Ring) aside, the mysterious action is usually identified as a Wake.... at least in English.

but then it could also be "Plowing the field" but still ships through water, airplanes through thin clouds, Rocks through orbiting Ice fields. Its a Wake, my friends.

Don't look technical when the obvious is staring you in the face :)

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 pm

thongar wrote:Its a Wake, my friends.
Yeah! I beat neufer! :lol:
Last edited by emc on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
I liked the movies of Prometheus making the streamers. :)
Which answers biddie67's question:
biddie67 wrote:OK folks - referring back to the photo for APOD on Aug 10, both that photo and this photo of Prometheus has it moving in the same direction through the F-ring. How does it get back to the outside of the ring in order to come through it in such a regular pattern? Is it moving in a spiral kind of pattern and touching the F-ring at only one point in its spiral path??
Prometheus makes just a small nick on the inside of the F-ring and then pulls out.

The spiral wake is all in the ring dynamics resulting from that nick.
Art Neuendorffer

robo

Post by robo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

So Prometheus with its elongated shape, does it tumble or is it like a bullet? I'm assuming the later, but was interested to know for certain.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:20 pm

robo wrote:So Prometheus with its elongated shape, does it tumble or is it like a bullet? I'm assuming the later, but was interested to know for certain.
Neither. It is tidally locked to Saturn- that is, the same side always faces Saturn. So it is rotating about a single axis, with its rotation period equal to its orbital period, like the Moon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:59 pm

moodle wrote:
Can anyone identify the little dot in the lower right corner of the photo?
S/2004 S 6?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/2004_S_6 wrote: Pandora Orbital period: 0.628504213 d
S/2004 S 6 Orbital period: 0.6180116 d
Prometheus Orbital period: 0.612990038 d <<S/2004 S 6 is the provisional designation of a dusty object seen orbiting Saturn very close to the F ring. It is not clear whether it is only a transient clump of dust, or if there is a solid moonlet at its core.

It was first seen by scientists in images taken by the Cassini-Huygens probe on October 28, 2004 and announced on November 8 that year. It appears to be the best tracked object in this region with at least five probable sightings in the period till late 2005. In comparison, two objects in the F ring's vicinity (S/2004 S 3 and S/2004 S 4) that were first seen several months earlier have not been recovered with any confidence. Nevertheless, it continues to be unclear whether there is a solid core to S/2004 S 6 or whether it is just a transient dust clump that will dissipate on a timescale of years or months. Notably, an imaging sequence covering an entire orbital period at 4 km resolution taken on November 15, 2004 (soon after S/2004 S 6's discovery) failed to recover the object, while it has been seen again later. The lighting conditions in S/2004 S 6's part of the orbit were different during these two observations, however, with the discovery being made when the region was strongly backlit by the sun. A suggested resolution of the absence in November is that S/2004 S 6's visibility is primarily due to a diffuse cloud of fine dust that is much brighter in forward scattered light (the conditions of the discovery image), and that the solid core (if any) is small.

S/2004 S 6 has been seen both inside and outside the main F ring, and its orbit must cross the ring. Careful calculations show that the object periodically plows through the ring material, coming within 1.5 km of the densest core e.g. on 9 April, 2005. It has been suggested that a spiral structure in the tenuous material surrounding the F ring may have been a consequence of this. The dusty halo seen in images is sizeable, being around 2000 km in lengthwise extent. The solid object, if any, would be no greater than 3−5 km in diameter based on brightness. Additional evidence came in 2008, as it appears that S/2004 S 6 or a body like it is required to explain the dynamics of the F Ring.>>
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
robo wrote:So Prometheus with its elongated shape, does it tumble or is it like a bullet? I'm assuming the later, but was interested to know for certain.
Neither. It is tidally locked to Saturn- that is, the same side always faces Saturn. So it is rotating about a single axis, with its rotation period equal to its orbital period, like the Moon.
In the You Tube link provided by Orin
orin stepanek wrote:
I liked the movies of Prometheus making the streamers. :)
it does appear to tumble, or is it just a trick of light?

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 pm

[quote="B"MAONE23"]

In the You Tube link provided by Orin
it does appear to tumble, or is it just a trick of light?[/quote]
Prometheus probably wobbles but it doesn't tumble (or fall down).

Even the Earth's moon wobbles back and forth some;
and Prometheus physically interacts with the F-ring
and chaotically interacts with Pandora (and Atlas):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(moon) wrote:
The orbit of Prometheus appears to be chaotic, as a consequence of a mean motion resonance with Pandora. The most appreciable changes in their orbits occur approximately every 6.2 years, when the periapsis of Pandora lines up with the apoapsis of Prometheus and the moons approach to within about 1400 km.
Last edited by neufer on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

FrogSplash
Ensign

Post by FrogSplash » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 pm

moodle wrote:Can anyone identify the little dot in the lower right corner of the photo?

I asked that myself. I'm guessing it's a little speck of the F ring.

FS

León
Science Officer
AKA: Levon

Post by León » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Well, it's in an unstable orbit because of its proximity to other moons that perturb it. But the main motion with respect to the F-ring isn't in and out, but up and down. Prometheus is slightly inclined with respect to the rings, so every orbit it passes through the ring plane twice, once up and once down. That's when it collides with the F-ring.
The other side, apparently looks darker

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 pm

León wrote:
The other side, apparently looks darker
And the "dark side" of the Earth's Moon is the Far Side?

Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm

neufer wrote:Prometheus probably wobbles but it doesn't tumble (or fall down).
I agree. It's hard to imagine how something this out-of-round, in a highly perturbed environment, wouldn't show something akin to libration.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
I agree. It's hard to imagine how something this out-of-round, in a highly perturbed environment, wouldn't show something akin to libration.
Wow! No libration… that is amazing. What does that imply? Prometheus in a harmonic orbit with Saturn… isn't that incredible?.. I mean how many things have to coalesce in order for that to happen? Our Moon has libration... I expected this to be the norm.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 pm

emc wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wow! No libration… that is amazing. What does that imply? Prometheus in a harmonic orbit with Saturn… isn't that incredible?.. I mean how many things have to coalesce in order for that to happen? Our Moon has libration... I expected this to be the norm.
Well, if I haven't gotten the wrong number of negatives in there, I think I'm saying that there is libration.

Having synchronous rotation (that is, being tidally locked to Saturn) is completely to be expected- it would be hard to explain it otherwise.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 pm

emc wrote:
Our Moon has libration... I expected this to be the norm.
It should be noted that the Moon's libration has to do with the Moon's constant spin rate while in an elliptical orbit (eccentricity ~ 0.055).

Since Prometheus has an eccentricity of only 0.0022 its corresponding 'steady state' libration should be quite small.

The harmonic tidal forces on Prometheus are quite large, however, while the damping forces (due to feedback from Prometheus's tides on Saturn) are relatively small so some dynamical wobbling should be expected.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 am

neufer wrote:It should be noted that the Moon's libration has to do with the Moon's constant spin rate while in an elliptical orbit (eccentricity ~ 0.055).

Since Prometheus has an eccentricity of only 0.0022 its corresponding 'steady state' libration should be quite small.

The harmonic tidal forces on Prometheus are quite large, however, while the damping forces (due to feedback from Prometheus's tides on Saturn) are relatively small so some dynamical wobbling should be expected.
When posting the earlier I debated whether this wobble could properly be called "libration". A little research into the meaning of the term convinced me it could- that libration refers to wobble in a body with a synchronous rotation, regardless of the forces responsible for that wobble.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory