What can and cannot be posted

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
makc
Commodore

What can and cannot be posted

Post by makc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:18 am

Here's my dilemma: mods don't want me to use some random words here. Some words come out like **** when you use them in posts un-obfuscated, so you would think those words are unwanted, but some dont and yet mods remove them. If I would ask mods for official list of words we can't use here, they will not be able to post such list, because doing so would violate their own rules. Which entails that there's simply no way to know in advance, what will they remove. And their judgement is very random, I must say; for example I know one post with eff word (in fact, numerous instances of that word) that survived after me pointing that post to mods directly, and recently another word, should we call it emm word, suddenly caught fire and got me my 1st warning without any clear motivation except that they dont like me for calling them what they are. Censors.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: What can and cannot be posted

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 am

makc wrote:Here's my dilemma: mods don't want me to use some random words here. Some words come out like **** when you use them in posts un-obfuscated, so you would think those words are unwanted, but some dont and yet mods remove them. If I would ask mods for official list of words we can't use here, they will not be able to post such list, because doing so would violate their own rules. Which entails that there's simply no way to know in advance, what will they remove. And their judgement is very random, I must say; for example I know one post with eff word (in fact, numerous instances of that word) that survived after me pointing that post to mods directly, and recently another word, should we call it emm word, suddenly caught fire and got me my 1st warning without any clear motivation except that they dont like me for calling them what they are. Censors.
You know, if you just stick to discussing astronomy and other science, I really don't think it's going to be an issue. The most controversial thing around here really ought to be whether the stars in an image are too blue, or not blue enough.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
The most controversial thing around here really ought to be whether the stars in an image are too blue, or not blue enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_comedy wrote:
<<Blue comedy is comedy that is off-color, risqué, indecent, profane, or obscene. It often contains profanity and/or sexual imagery that shocks and offends many audiences. The term comes from the music hall comedian Max Miller who kept all his adult jokes in a blue colored notebook. "Working blue" refers to the act of performing this type of material. A "blue comedian" or "blue comic" is a comedian who usually performs blue, or is known mainly for his or her blue material.

Comedian and actor Redd Foxx (born John Elroy Sanford [1922 – 1991]) was well known in nightclubs in the 1960s and 1970s for his raunchy stand-up act, but toned it down for the television shows Sanford and Son and The Redd Foxx Comedy Hour, stating in the first monologue of the latter show that the only similarity between the show and his nightclub act was that "I'm smoking".>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 am

And this....

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper ... lueTit.jpg

Incredibly adorable blue tit!!!
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue!
Somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:47 am

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
Color Commentator

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 am

Do they make blue shaving cream? I think I saw blue shaving gel, but never cream... p.s. neufer is still the king of associations.

edit: I just checked, and cream = foam U gel, so it can, in fact, be blue.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

But why is there no Blue Food???
Even BlueBerries are really Purple
And Blue Cheese is really white cheese with green mold.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:But why is there no Blue Food???
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Humor, from Chris! This is a BLUE letter day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Except Blue M&M's aren't really blue food, just food that has been dyed blue

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 pm

The edible blue food; the borage flower: http://www.grandmas-wisdom.com/edible-f ... orage.html Try it You'll like it :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 pm

orin stepanek wrote:The edible blue food; the borage flower: http://www.grandmas-wisdom.com/edible-f ... orage.html Try it You'll like it :D
It's nice! And its color is lovely. :D

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Blue M&M's aren't really blue food, just food that has been dyed blue
"There is no known navy blue food.
If there is navy blue food in the refrigerator,
it signifies death.
" - Erma Bombeck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord_grapes wrote:
<<The skin of a Concord grape is typically dark blue or purple, and often is covered with a lighter colored "bloom" which can be rubbed off. It is a slip-skin variety, meaning that the skin is easily separated from the fruit. Concord grapes have large seeds and are highly aromatic. They are often used to make grape jelly, grape juice, grape-flavored soft drinks, and candy. Grape pie is a regional dish. The grape is sometimes used to make wine, particularly kosher wine.

The Concord grape was developed in 1849 by Ephraim Wales Bull in Concord, Massachusetts. Bull planted seeds from wild Vitis labrusca and evaluated over 22,000 seedlings before finding what he considered the perfect grape, the original vine of which still grows at his former home. The pollen parent is unknown.>>
Adirondack Blue Potato
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Blue_potato wrote:
<<Adirondack Blue Potato is a hybrid potato variety with blue flesh and skin, bred by Cornell University potato breeder Walter De Jong in 2003. The Adirondack varieties are unusual because both the skin and the flesh are colored and have high levels of anti-oxidants. Adirondack Blues are described as "Early- to main-season variety good for baking, boiling, steaming, mashing, brightly colored salads. Spreading plants yield large, round to oblong, slightly flattened, purple-fleshed tubers with purple skin.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_corn wrote:
<<Blue corn (also known as Hopi maize) is a variety of maize grown in the Southwestern United States and northern Mexico, particularly in the American states of Arizona and New Mexico. It was originally developed by the Hopi, and remains an essential part of Hopi dishes like piki bread. Blue corn contains 20% more protein and has a lower glycemic index than white corn. When used to make tortillas, blue corn produces a sweeter, nuttier taste than yellow or white corn, and is a more complete protein source.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_cheese wrote:
<<Blue cheese (or bleu cheese) is a general classification of cow's milk, sheep's milk, or goat's milk cheeses that have had Penicillium cultures added so that the final product is spotted or veined throughout with blue, blue-gray or blue-green mold, and carries a distinct smell. Blue cheeses are typically aged in a temperature-controlled environment such as a cave. Blue cheese is believed to have been discovered by accident. The caves in which early cheeses were aged shared the properties of being temperature and moisture controlled environments, as well as being favorable to many varieties of mould. Roquefort is said to have been invented in 1070 AD. Gorgonzola is one of the oldest known blue cheeses, having been created around 879 AD, though it is said that it did not actually contain blue veins until around the 11th century. Stilton is a relatively new addition occurring sometime in the 18th century. Many varieties of blue cheese that originated subsequently were an attempt to fill the demand for Roquefort-style cheeses that were prohibitive due to either cost or politics.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry wrote: <<Blueberries are flowering plants of the genus Vaccinium (a genus which also includes cranberries and bilberries) with dark-purple berries and is a perennial. Species in the section Cyanococcus are the most common fruits sold as "blueberries" and are mainly native to North America. The fruit is a berry 5–16 millimetres diameter with a flared crown at the end; they are pale greenish at first, then reddish-purple, and finally indigo when ripe. They have a sweet taste when mature, with variable acidity. Blueberry bushes typically bear fruit in the middle of the growing season. Nova Scotia, the biggest producer of wild blueberries in Canada, recognizes the blueberry as its official provincial berry. The town of Oxford is known as the Wild Blueberry Capital of Canada. New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are other Atlantic provinces with major wild blueberry farming.>>

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040405.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040727.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040817.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060605.html
Art Neuendorffer

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm

First the M&Ms, then the bleu cheeses (pasta gorgonzola: melt a pound of gorgonzola, a pound of butter, and a pound of parmesan with a little cream in a saucepan and stir while your arteries clog; serve over pasta.), corn, and grapes, and finishing up with blueberries....

Back later; got my list (thanks!), going grocery shopping.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 pm

owlice wrote:
First the M&Ms, then the bleu cheeses (pasta gorgonzola: melt a pound of gorgonzola, a pound of butter, and a pound of parmesan with a little cream in a saucepan and stir while your arteries clog; serve over pasta.), corn, and grapes, and finishing up with blueberries....

Back later; got my list (thanks!), going grocery shopping.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:08 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Except Blue M&M's aren't really blue food, just food that has been dyed blue
They are certainly blue; the question is, are they food?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 pm

neufer wrote: Owlet Beauregarde destined to be rolled to the Juicing Room.
At the moment, that sounds like a fine idea. :x
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

mak_c

Post by mak_c » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:39 pm

omg charlie and his factory with depp was a REMAKE :shock:
Last edited by mak_c on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed error

jman
Ensign

Post by jman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:12 am

Image Certainly a food, question is are they bleu?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 am

Well, I don't know if you can eat it, but...

Some years ago I read about plants that grow deep in rain forests, where there is very little light available, and other chlorophyll green plants have used up most of what chlorophyll can absorb. To make use of the few remaining wavelengths, some plants have, literally, turned blue. The only such plant I could find when I googled was the Peacock fern:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Ann wrote:Well, I don't know if you can eat it, but...

Some years ago I read about plants that grow deep in rain forests, where there is very little light available, and other chlorophyll green plants have used up most of what chlorophyll can absorb. To make use of the few remaining wavelengths, some plants have, literally, turned blue.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/crypto/msg0217320711700.html wrote:
RE: Any tips on caring for Selaginella uncinata?
* Posted by treehaus 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 10:27

I found an interesting article from a scientific journal about the blue iridescence of S. uncinata and S. willdenowii. The iridescence is thought to be the result of something called 'thin-film interference'. Thus, the iridescence is not the result of pigmentation. The leaves of S. uncinata and willdenowii have epidermal cells that are lense-shaped, and this increases refraction. These lense-shaped epidermal cells also have large chloroplasts set near the cell walls (which is rare, the article would suggest) that increase light-absorption. The article suggests the iridescence is an adaptation (to extreme shade) since it contributes to the plant's ability to absorb light. The article also states the following: "The green leaves that develop in response to more direct sunlight do not become blue when subjected to shade, but blue leaves gradually turn to green with age or exposure to more direct light." S. willdenowii is apparently a climbing version akin to S. uncinata.
* Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 15:18

Seem to remember reading somewhere that blue does not occur in animals through pigment but by refraction of only blue light.. Certainly true of butterflies and birds also seems true of fish. There is a fern, Microsorium thailandicum that will turn almost a sparkling blue when happy much like uncinata. To me they both look like the color is refracting as they will change color from different directions.
RE: Any tips on caring for Selaginella uncinata?

* Posted by razorback33 z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 21:38

While it is true that it needs shade to exhibit the iridescent blue color, it doesn't need the bifocals to focus the light when grown in the sun and is all green, while happily producing chlorophyll-b. It's China nativity is heavily forested areas in 6 southern provinces, generally below 25º N, therefore it has adapted to the low light conditions by developing the focal lenses, which reflect the blue spectrum. (Short wavelength, visible light, recommended for treatment of circadian rhythm related mood disorders. Grow blue moss, be happy!) It can also be found in NE India, N Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan and the US Gulf Coastal states, FL to LA (Including GA.)
http://www.eol.org/pages/595324 wrote:
Leaves of extreme shade Selaginella tropical ferns change in improving light conditions from being iridescent blue to green by removal of photoprotective coating.

<<"Blue iridescence is most common in the genus Selaginella. The two taxa analysed here are native to the extreme shade of humid tropical forests: S. willdenowii (Desv.) Bak. in Southeast Asia and S. uncinata Spr. in South China. In both species blue iridescence develops on leaves in shade beneath foliage. The green leaves that develop in response to more direct sunlight do not become blue when subjected to this shade, but blue leaves gradually turn to green with age or exposure to more direct light (pers. observ.). The filtering action of the forest foliage produces an environment deficient in energy for photosynthesis, with only 0.1-0.3% of the light above the canopy (Bjorkman and Ludlow, 1972; Bazzaz and Pickett, 1980)." (Hebant and Lee 1984:216)>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Kronprinsen, The Crown Prince, is the name of the second tallest building in my hometown of Malmö. Its blue color comes from almost two million mosaic pieces.

(And in case you are wondering... the tallest building is this one, Turning Torso.)
Ann
Last edited by Ann on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 am

Ann; I thought you may be interested. We have a little Malmo.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4GZAZ ... CBYQ8gEwAA
It would probably fit on the bottom floor of that skyscraper. :mrgreen:
It's a nice little town though. 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!