Surf on mars?

Research the universe. Expand humanity's knowledge.
six1o
Ensign

Surf on mars?

Post by six1o » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

I know it isn't, but it sure does look like this crater is filling up with some sort of liquid. It even appears to have waves emminating from the frothy white looking part.

Anyone up for a swim?

http://jaredlangan.com/1.jpg

http://jaredlangan.com/2.jpg

Can anyone explain what this might be?

I found it using the mars explorer posted a while ago here. http://www.mars.asu.edu/maps/?layer=thm_dayir_100m_v11
There is also a higher res version for someone who may have a computer that can view it.

six1o
Ensign

Re: Surf on mars?

Post by six1o » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:37 pm

six1o wrote:Nevermind.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Expres ... 8BE_0.html

case closed.
That picture sure looks different than the one you asked about. I've got windows 7 and the resolution is set by default at 1920x1080 on my Dell wide screen monitor and i have the screen magnifier set at 150%.
and i couldn't tell what was in the crater except that there does appear to be a small bit of ice reflecting the sun. No where near as large to the crater as your "nevermind" picture.

Anyway, if you magnify the crater that you originally asked about to about 1 1/4 inches long(right to left) and then measure from the right hand side of the outside of the crater, to the right 8 inches and then up 2 inches, you will see a little almost round patch of white(ice?) with a boulder in the middle of it. Just to the right of that white spot is a dark spot. If you increase the magnification of the dark spot, to me it resembles a bird nest with a few eggs in it.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Beyond,
It looks like the crater image here is likely a negative image of the same crater in the found it link.
The darker central portion matches with the white portion
and the white patch within the dark circle matches with the black spot in the white ice circle
as oriented with the smaller crater outside the large crater at 7:30 and almost against the larget crater wall The small crater is orientad at 4:30 in this image

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 pm

DANG!! I wish people wouldn't do that. Thanks for pointing it out, BMAONE23. Did you happen to check out what i call a nest of eggs??

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah,
I must agree with your vision of the nest though I would hate to see the bird tahat sits it

six1o
Ensign

Post by six1o » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 pm

i can't seem to find the nest, any chance you can zoom out and circle it?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 am

six1o wrote:i can't seem to find the nest, any chance you can zoom out and circle it?
I don't know how to put a circle there. I just came from your original post and i couldn't get the zoomer to work. However, if you go the the right of your red circle (2)-skinny black lines and just above the short skinny black line and slightly to the left, you should see a little white spot and a little black spot to the white spot's right. Zoom(if you can get it to work) in on the little black spot. I think that's it.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 am

six1o wrote:I know it isn't, but it sure does look like this crater is filling up with some sort of liquid. It even appears to have waves emminating from the frothy white looking part.

Anyone up for a swim?

http://jaredlangan.com/1.jpg
Beyond,
You are talking about this image right?
For the Bird's nest?

this is the full size image (15meg)
http://jmars.mars.asu.edu/maps/?layer=t ... r_100m_v11

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm

I think so. These things all look so different if you not used to viewing them.
Any way, in your bottom photo just above -center- there is a white area with a dark rectangle on the right side of it. the dark rectangle should be the bird's nest. Of course the bird could have moved it.

six1o
Ensign

Post by six1o » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Of course the bird could have moved it.
The martian space-bird is known to be an elusive species.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 pm

six1o wrote:
Of course the bird could have moved it.
The martian space-bird is known to be an elusive species.
Well at least BMAONE23 has seen it also. Which makes me wonder why you can't find it. Are you sure you magnified your original image to about 1 1/4 inches? And then from the right side of it, measure 8 inches over and then 2 inches up? The white and dark area should be very visible. I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't. Of course you won't see the nest until you zoom in.

six1o
Ensign

Post by six1o » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm

i didn't mean that to make fun of you. sorry it came off that way- i kind of just meant "Ha, that would be crazy if there was a mars bird."

And I'll give it another look tonight when I get back from class and see if I can't hunt it down and blow it up like the other pictures.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:51 pm

six1o wrote:i didn't mean that to make fun of you. sorry it came off that way- i kind of just meant "Ha, that would be crazy if there was a mars bird."

And I'll give it another look tonight when I get back from class and see if I can't hunt it down and blow it up like the other pictures.
I didn't even think of taking it that way, i took it the same way that you meant it. I was just sort of commenting that someone else had seen it also, so I'm not completely nuts in my description of it. Which brings up a good point. Why isn't anyone else commenting on it? Maybe only BMAONE23 followed the directions right? Hmm... Kinda strange.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Or perhaps we just both look at things differently in the same fashion

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 pm

A "WE" against the world kinda thing, Huh?