Video Submissions

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
Meiying Lee
Ensign

Re: Video Submissions

Post by Meiying Lee » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Analemma observed in Taipei, Taiwan at 4:30PM local time
The video shows the path taken by the sun at 4:30pm throughout the year in Taipei, Taiwan. They were shot from September 22 2020 to September 23, 2021 from the same viewing platform on an eastern hill of Taipei. Due to heavy winter to spring rains and frequent summer afternoon thunderstorms, out of 46 trips only 30 images were usable, resulting in uneven gaps on the analemma. It is therefore also a document of the afternoon weather during the year!
The foreground is the city view of Taipei as seen at the location, with the tallest building being Taipei 101, a famous Taipei landmark.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11hrTNN ... sp=sharing

remidone
Ensign

Post by remidone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:28 pm

A journey into Corona Australis

Copyright: Luca Moretti
My album

Jean-Baptiste Auroux
Ensign

Post by Jean-Baptiste Auroux » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Jupiter animation (3h20)

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Jupiter animation made from the images made during the night of 14th october 2021 with great seeing in Paris !
3h20 - 74 images made, x2 with Winjupos derotation to create intermediate images, for a total of 147 images.

More intermediate images were created using AI video software to smooth the movement of the animation ; final number of images : 581.

Takahashi Mewlon 210 - AZEQ6 - Asi 462MC - ZWO ADC - UV/IRcut filter
Paris (France)

Copyright: Jean-Baptiste Auroux
https://millenniumphoton.com/
https://www.astrobin.com/users/Jean-Baptiste_Paris/

Icosahedron
Asternaut

Post by Icosahedron » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:22 pm

The Sun in colour.
https://youtu.be/KE9XQBgczvo
A set of monochromatic images of the Sun presented in true colour and grayscale. The images were captured with a spectroheliograph on 24 September 2021 from the south of England. The following absorption lines in the solar spectrum were targeted: H-eta (383.54 nm), Ca II (393.37 nm), Fe I (404.58 nm), Ca I (422.67 nm), Fe I (438.36 nm), H-beta (486.13 nm), Mg I (518.36 nm), Fe I (558.68 nm), Na I (589.0 nm), Ca I ( 612.22 nm) and H-alpha (656.28 nm).

The equipment used; spectroheliograph, mount and diffraction-limited imager comprising of a linear CCD array and Arduino controller, is self-designed and built. The controller is also able to position all optical components to their optimum positions for a specific wavelength via a remote link. Control, capture and raw image processing (destriping etc.) software is self-developed. GIMP was used to correct the geometry, set the tonality and colourise the images.

Copyright: Charl Vockerodt
Music: https://www.purple-planet.com

Meiying Lee
Ensign

Post by Meiying Lee » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 am

An omega moonset’s continuous change
The inferior mirage of celestial bodies rising or falling from the sea level is the most special and beautiful mirage. This is a special phenomenon that occurs when there is a low-density layer of hot air on the surface of the earth or ocean due to refraction. The most common one is the sun’s inferior mirage. The moon’s inferior mirage is not common because it is dark, but if you have the opportunity to see the moon’s inferior mirage, you can just use the terrain and potholes on the moon to confirm the mirage with inverted shape!
The weather was good on November 10th, and I was lucky enough to meet the rare inferior mirage of the sinking moon! When the moon is very close to the sea level, the inverted virtual image below will form and slowly rise and connect with the upright image above to form a rare sight like an Etruscan vase or Omega (Ω) shape !
This video includes the appearance of the lower mirage, the rising, and the connection with the upright image above, like an Etruscan vase. Then the bottleneck of the vase becomes thicker and shorter, and finally only a corner disappears on the sea surface.

carlos uriarte
Ensign

Post by carlos uriarte » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:33 am

Morning !!!
This is my video of Leonard crosses M3
190 FRAMES BIN2 30s each frame.
[/youtube]
:) Enthusiastic astrophotographer of latitude 42

Harles99
Ensign

Post by Harles99 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 pm

"Interstellar Highway" M42 Orion Nebular & Satellites Time Lapse.

While I was taking some long exposure photographs of the M42 Orion Nebula region, I noticed that I had a few satellites passing through my imagines as I periodically checked them. When I complied all 205 images together, I discovered that there were many satellites that were passing through. So I complied all of the images together into a time lapse video. Enjoy!
Visuals © Astro Photo Booth 2021 (me)

Music Licensed by Soundstripe

Meiying Lee
Ensign

Post by Meiying Lee » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:29 pm

Crescent Venus
Today’s crescent moon is illuminated only by 3.8%, and Venus, which is very close to the sun, is illuminated only 1.0%. Both are very thin and crescent-shaped, especially the small crescent of Venus in the long lens is very beautiful. The video is attached with the small crescent sinking.

SkyViking
Ensign

Post by SkyViking » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:14 am

Annotated movie of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, moving against background stars:
This animation shows the JWST's movement against the background stars on 6th Jan 2022 from 8:41am to 09:54am UTC while travelling just under 1 million kilometres away on its journey towards the Sun-Earth L2 point. JWST moved nearly 1000 kms further away from Earth during this observation and also appears to slowly fluctuate in magnitude from 14.0 to 15.8 - this is likely due to varying amounts of sunlight reflecting off its massive aluminised sun shield.
Interestingly the track appears slightly curved which matches the JWST ephemeris from Horizons: https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons/app.html#/
The animation was made using 29 consecutive frames, each a 2 minute luminance exposure, and the colour was added by subsequently taking a separate RGB image of the same region and then overlaying this onto the animation frames.
Plate solving was done using PixInsight and photometric measurements with PlateSolve2.

Image details:
Date: 6th January 2022
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian
Camera: QSI 683wsg with Lodestar guider
Filters: Astrodon LRGB E-Series Gen 2
Taken from my observatory in Auckland, New Zealand

Meiying Lee
Ensign

Post by Meiying Lee » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:23 pm

2021 Sun Analemma in Taipei in the Morning and Afternoon
If you record the sun at the same place and time every day, you will find that the po-sition of the sun keeps changing. One year later, put all the suns in the same photo or make an animation in sequence, and you will see it draw a big figure of 8 in the sky exactly as the laws of physics tell us. This is really very exciting and moving! The tra-jectory of the sun in a year is called the sun analemma. The link to the video of the sun analemma in Taipei is as follows:
The sun analemma seen on the earth is basically like a figure of eight, and the two circles of the figure-8 are of different sizes. This is related to the eccentricity of the earth's orbit and the tilt of the earth's rotation axis. The degree of the figure-8 tilt in the sky is related to the latitude of the observer's location and the recorded time.
In 2021, I spent a whole year in Taipei recording the position of the sun at 7:30 am and 4:30 pm. In the northern hemisphere, the summer solstice of the sun analemma in the morning is at upper left, and the winter solstice at lower right. As for the sun analemma in the afternoon, the tilt direction is different from that in the morning. The summer solstice is at upper right, and the winter solstice at lower left. Whether it is in the morning or in the afternoon, sun analemma has a small circle above and a large circle below. It is also worth noting that the intersection of the figure-8 did not form at vernal equinox or at autumnal equinox. In addition, I recorded four days of sunrise and sunset tracks respectively in spring, summer, autumn and winter, and combined them with sun analemma. The degree of inclination of sunrise or sunset can be used to determine the latitude of the shooting location.
Due to heavy winter and spring rains and frequent summer afternoon thunder-storms, whether it is morning or afternoon, it is not easy to shoot the sun within a fixed period of time in Taipei. Some large gaps in sun analemma indicate that the sun did not show itself to be photographed for up to 20 days, and since sometimes the sun had to be photographed even when it was partially hidden in the clouds, several suns in the picture are not complete! Therefore, in addition to the trajectory of the sun in a year, the Taipei sun analemma can also be used to see the weather patterns in Taipei.
The landscape below sun analemma in the morning is the mountains in the south-east of Taipei. In fact, Taipei is a basin surrounded by mountains. The landscape be-low analemma in the afternoon is the downtown area of Taipei. Note that the tall building in the foreground is Taipei 101 (508 m), which used to be the tallest building in the world from December 1, 2004 to January 7, 2010.

Manuel Floris

Post by Manuel Floris » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:57 pm

The Green Flash to Sardinia Sea
The green flash seen on the sea of Sardinia. Excellent visibility conditions have allowed the shooting of this rare phenomenon. Photo taken from the village of Nebida on February 8, 2022

rhess
Ensign

Post by rhess » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:21 pm

The James Webb Space Telescope
on its orbit around the Lagrange point 2 at a distance of 1 500 000 km.
Taken with the ASA 1 meter rc telescope at the "Vega Observatory Haus der Natur Salzburg" !

Copyright Rochus Hess

salvatorecerruto
Ensign

Post by salvatorecerruto » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:52 am

I created this video dedicated to the Cassini-Huygens mission. I downloaded the nearly 400,000 photos, carefully selected them and produced this timelapse of the most epic moments of this extraordinary probe. In addition to Saturn, many of its small and large moons can be seen closely in the video. An incredible journey that NASA and the Cassini probe have given us and that I hope everyone can relive through this short film.
Some notes on Cassini-Huygens mission: Cassini – Huygens was a joint NASA/ESA/ASI interplanetary robotic mission launched on October 15, 1997 with the task of studying the Saturn system, including its moons and rings. The spacecraft was made up of two elements: NASA's Cassini orbiter and ESA's Huygens lander. Cassini was the first probe to enter Saturn's orbit and only the fourth to have visited it. At the end of the mission, the Cassini spacecraft made a series of spectacular and risky passages between Saturn and its inner rings, to obtain further scientific data before the end of the mission. This last phase of the mission was called the Grand Finale.
The mission was successful far beyond expectations, revolutionizing knowledge of the Saturn system, including its satellites and rings.

Raw images are taken from: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/raw-images ... age-viewer
Editing: Salvatore Cerruto
Music: Simone Cerruto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3Yr4kOfQ0

kentbiggs
Ensign

Post by kentbiggs » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 am

NGC 6946 - Spiral Arms Revealed in the Fireworks Galaxy!
Image URL: https://www.kentbiggs.com/images/galaxies/N6946-2.htm
Video URL: https://www.kentbiggs.com/images/galaxies/N6946-2v.htm

This video of the active "Fireworks Galaxy" shows that by simply removing the foreground stars,
the faint details of a galaxy can sometimes be much further enhanced. Note the very faint
spiral arms revealed in the video or in the URLs above.

Integration time: 15 hours. Copyright Kent E. Biggs. Sept 2021

Clear skies,
www.kentbiggs.com
Houston, Texas

fehrpics
Asternaut

Post by fehrpics » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:59 pm

https://youtu.be/q9oNXwV7z8g
The Blossom of the Tower of Jewels.

Shot May/Juni 2022 at La Palma and Tenerife with some nice night sky shots
Last edited by bystander on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: needs YouTube url, not shortcut

the_astronomy_enthusiast
Ensign

Post by the_astronomy_enthusiast » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:19 pm

Outflows and shockwaves in the the crab nebula – Hubble’s view over the course of 1260 days!

Meiying Lee
Ensign

Post by Meiying Lee » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Green Flash, Purple Flash and Omega Sun inferior mirage
At 18:37 pm on August 5th, I finally caught up with the green flash! And not only the green flash, but also the purple flash and the super-beautiful Omega Sun inferior mirage! What's more important is that this time it wasn't just the camera that caught it, I also solidly "saw" the green flash! Bright green, dazzling, charming, momentary.
When the sun falls on the sea, it creates a mirage and finally forms green flashes and purple flashes.
Whether it's a green flash, a purple flash, or an inferior mirage under the sun, it's all virtual images caused by atmospheric refraction. On the evening of August 5 there was just a little bit of clear skies low over the sea. At this point, the atmospheric density in the sky changes significantly. When I saw the beautiful appearance of the inferior mirage, I thought that the green flash should be hopeful. Really!!

JohnDreese
Asternaut

Post by JohnDreese » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Last Thursday I captured 163 photographs of the ISS flying overhead. I used a smartphone camera on a 12" Dobsonian telescope. I'll upload the photo on the other sub-forum. I've put all of them together into a time-lapse animation. I can't see how to upload an MP4, so here's the YouTube link:
https://youtube.com/shorts/C2j53p5aHFI

meltaxa

Post by meltaxa » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:19 am

Caught a Tie Fighter flying across the Sun over Brisbane, Australia on the 25th August, 2022.

A Hydrogen-Alpha solar telescope was used for the capture, which peers into the Sun's chromosphere where prominences, sunspots, flares and other surface and limb features become observable.

The footage was recorded in monochrome and colour added later.

To find a satellite solar or lunar transit in your area use https://transit-finder.com/.

For ISS fly-overs see: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

SkyViking
Ensign

Post by SkyViking » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:27 am

The Cosmic Web: Seeing the Large-Scale Structure of the Universe
http://www.rolfolsenastrophotography.com
Copyright: Rolf Wahl Olsen

Educational video showing the Cosmic Web, the large-scale structure of the Universe, visible in my Fornax Ultra Deep Field image.
Make sure you view this in full screen and with the music turned up!
4K video:

The Cosmic Web - image without foreground stars:
https://www.rolfolsenastrophotography.c ... -ZFNCnXw/A Version with foreground stars:
Full res image: https://www.rolfolsenastrophotography.c ... -FNxSNwN/A https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FNx ... NwN-X4.jpg

Of all my images I feel that this one is the most profound: A relatively empty looking field in the southern constellation Fornax, about the size of the full Moon. This area of the sky is devoid of most bright stars, and contains almost no obscuring interstellar dust or hydrogen emission. It is therefore a window out into the deepest reaches of the observable Universe. It is also the location of the famous Hubble Ultra Deep Field and several other HST studies over the last couple of decades. With around 60 hours of exposure the limiting magnitude is close to 25.0 which is 25 million times fainter than the dimmest naked-eye stars.

At this depth, the background is filled with tens of thousands of distant galaxies. But to see them properly, we must go on a journey - outside of our own Milky Way galaxy. To filter the many background galaxies from the foreground stars I used Gaia DR3 data to identify and remove all stars in the image, and thus revealing just the extragalactic background.
Every single point of light in the resulting image is a galaxy! There are over 20,000 distant galaxies in this single image. With redshifts of up to z=3.354 the farthest are nearly 12 billion light years away. At that distance the field of view spans an incredible 112 x 147 million light years.
It is clearly noticeable that the galaxies are not distributed randomly. Instead, galaxy groups and clusters form long filaments with massive voids in between. This vast foam-like structure is known as the Cosmic Web; the large-scale structure of the Universe.
Tiny primordial fluctuations in the dark matter distribution immediately after the Big Bang gave rise to these immense structures, created and shaped by gravity. Their origins are imprinted on the cosmic microwave background observed by the Planck satellite - the oldest light in the Universe.

Image Processing
After the raw data was calibrated and combined in PixInsight, the foreground stars were identified using a custom catalogue of sources in the field-of-view generated from Gaia DR3. PixInsight was used to annotate the image and labelling all stellar sources. A manual inspection then identified a further handful of sources as being obviously extragalactic and these were removed from the custom catalogue.
A special starmask purely consisting of the foreground stars was then made using the custom catalog data.
A starless image of the entire field was created by applying StarNet processs in PixInsight. This removed all point sources in the image, including all the faint background galaxies, so to create an image that reveals only the distant extragalactic background objects the starless image was then re-combined with the original image but using the Gaia data starmask. The result is a starless image showing only extragalactic sources!

Cross-checking against the available Hubble Ultra Deep Field catalogues using VizieR, approximately 190 galaxies were identified within the HUDF catalogued area. Assuming the HUDF to be representative of the entire image, and indeed the entire sky, this can be extrapolated to over 23,000 galaxies in this field alone, and over 2.5 billion galaxies visible in the entire sky at this depth.

Resolution ............... 0.765 arcsec/px
Rotation ................. 178.892 deg
Reference system ......... ICRS
Geodetic coordinates ..... 174 45 00 E 36 51 00 N 240 m
Focal distance ........... 1456.58 mm
Pixel size ............... 5.40 um
Field of view ............ 42' 23.3" x 31' 54.8"
Image center ............. RA: 3 32 39.046 Dec: -27 47 28.96
Image bounds:
top-left .............. RA: 3 31 04.405 Dec: -28 03 48.48
top-right ............. RA: 3 34 16.452 Dec: -28 03 00.18
bottom-left ........... RA: 3 31 02.103 Dec: -27 31 53.49
bottom-right .......... RA: 3 34 13.213 Dec: -27 31 05.42

Image Acquisition:
Date: Nov 2021 - Feb 2022
Exposure: LRGB: 2850:250:225:225 mins, total 59 hours 10 mins @ -25C
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian
Camera: QSI 683wsg with Lodestar guider
Filters: Astrodon LRGB E-Series Gen 2
Taken from my observatory in Auckland, New Zealand
Last edited by bystander on Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, no hot links to images > 500 kb. Substituted smaller image.

Jean-Baptiste Auroux
Ensign

Post by Jean-Baptiste Auroux » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 am

Global rotation of Jupiter
Animation of a complete rotation of Jupiter made with images of September 10 and 11, 2022, from my balcony in Paris, taken with a Mewlon 210.
213 images in total spread over 10 hours, and the 10 best selected every ~30° to make this animation with the WinJupos software.

Jean-Baptiste Auroux
Ensign

Post by Jean-Baptiste Auroux » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Animation of the atmosphere of Jupiter
Animation of Jupiter's atmosphere, made with 3 planispheres (unfortunately incomplete for 2 of them) realized on September 10/11, 17/18 and 21/22.
I tried to highlight the relative displacements of the most visible structures: the GTR and its downstream wake, as well as the anticyclones in the areas closer to the poles.

The different rotation speeds of several formations are also clearly visible, especially in the southernmost bands of the GTR.

Mewlon 210 - ASI 462c - ADC -Barlow 2x.
WinJupos

https://www.astrobin.com/users/Jean-Baptiste_Paris/

prashant_naik
Ensign

Post by prashant_naik » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:14 am

The Dance!
This timelapse film features the Perseid Meteor Shower as seen from East Pocket in Flagstaff. Geminid Meteor Shower captured from Sunset Crater in Sedona. And the Leonids from Death Valley National park, California.

Thank you!
Prashant

tinmar_g
Ensign

Post by tinmar_g » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:57 am

Earth rotation - I shot a timelapse to illustrate it

As you know our planet Earth is spinning on itself, this is what we call the Earth rotation. The best way to witness this fact is to take a look at an astral object and see it moving in the sky. You can look at the sun but it's more impressive to look at the stars because you see all the sky moving. Astro timelapses are perfect for that because you see the night sky moving at a high speed and the earth movement becomes clearer. However to make it even clearer we can fix the sky and see the earth moving instead. This is what I tried to do here.

To do it we just need to use an equatorial mount to make the DSLR follow the sky. Here I used the Star Adventurer mount. The timelaspe has been shot in the Cosmodrome Observatory in South of France at the end of august. You can see the Milky Way core being hidden by the Earth rotation.

Equipment : Canon 6D - Star Adventurer - Sigma ART 20mm
Settings : ISO-3200 - F2.2 - 30 sec

P.S. : did you spotted the bug on the lens at the begining ?

tinmar_g
Ensign

Post by tinmar_g » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:04 pm

MAGIC searching the night sky

Social : https://www.instagram.com/tinmar_g/

Here is a timelapse of MAGIC telescopes searching the sky for gamma rays

La Palma island in Canary is a very well known location by the astrophotographers. Indeed the sky conditions are outstanding enough that it’s considered as one of the best spot of the northern hemisphere for astronomy. It’s a Volcanic island that hosts several international telescopes regrouped into a park called Roque de los Muchachos that is located on the top of the caldeira at 2400m.

MAGIC telescope is the acronym for Major Atmospheric Gamma-ray Imaging Cherenkov Telescope that is a set of two telescopes that detect particle showers released by gamma rays. Those telescopes are very photogenic because they are made of mirrors in which you can see the stars reflecting during the night. First time I saw it I was like a child in front of a big toy. I spent two nights in this spot and during the night sometimes you can hear strong robotic noise breaking the silence of the night, it's the MAGIC telescopes rotating to change their target. It's like hearing a giant robot walking into the mountains, it was amazing!

Equipment : Canon 6D - Samyang 135mm
Timelaspe 1 : ISO-6400 - F2.8 - 10 sec
Timelaspe 2 : ISO-4000 - F2.8 - 10 sec