Starship Asterisk zooms to a new location

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Starship Asterisk zooms to a new location

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 pm

You might have noticed that your favorite Starship has moved to a new URL. This recent change has a few challenges associated with it (as some of you have discovered), but the kinks are being worked out. The administration is sorry for any difficulties you have encountered/are encountering and appreciate your patience while adjustments are made; thank you!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Starship Asterisk zooms to a new location

Post by rstevenson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

You must have had the anti-gravity turned on -- I didn't feel a thing!

Rob

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I've noticed one thing but am uncertain as to weather it is due to the switch or the fact that I recently added Norton Security to my PC
The program no longer maintains my login and I need to login every time (a very minor inconvenience)

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Others are also having login retention issues; it's not just you! (I have them, too.)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Change your bookmark link to http://asterisk.apod.com/,
Select Delete all board cookies from the bottom of any page

Of course you will now have to login in again but it should fix your problems.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm

owlice wrote:
You might have noticed that your favorite Starship has moved to a new URL.

This recent change has a few challenges associated with it (as some of you have discovered),
but the kinks are being worked out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive_%28Star_Trek%29 wrote: <<Warp drive is a faster-than-light (FTL) propulsion system in the setting of many science fiction works, most notably Star Trek. A spacecraft equipped with a warp drive may travel at velocities greater than that of light by many orders of magnitude, while circumventing the relativistic problem of time dilation. In contrast to many other fictional FTL technologies, such as a "jump drive" or the Infinite Improbability Drive, the warp drive does not permit instantaneous travel between two points; instead, warp drive technology creates an artificial "bubble" of normal space-time that surrounds the spacecraft (as opposed to entering a separate realm or dimension like hyperspace, such as the "warp drive" which is used in the Warhammer 40,000 universe). Consequently, spacecraft at warp velocity can continue to interact with objects in normal space.

The idea of warping space as a means of propulsion has enjoyed theoretical study by physicists such as Miguel Alcubierre, who has designed his own hypothetical drive. The propulsion techniques as well that flow from Extended Heim Theory, and which would use drive coils to affect space-time, are also generally in line with the picture of warp drive presented in the various Star Trek series as well as the technical publications. However, an approach to FTL travel based on either Alcubierre drive Theory or Extended Heim theory which could be facilitated by our present level of technological advancement has yet to be proposed.>>
Warp, v. t. [OE. warpen; fr. Icel. varpa to throw, cast, varp a casting, fr. verpa to throw; akin to Dan. varpe to warp a ship, Sw. varpa, AS. weorpan to cast, OS. werpan, OFries. werpa, D. & LG. werpen, G. werfen; cf. Skr. vrj to twist.]

1. To throw; hence, to send forth, or throw out, as words; to utter.

2. To turn or twist out of shape; esp., to twist or bend out of a flat plane by contraction or otherwise.

3. To turn aside from the true direction; to cause to bend or incline; to pervert.

4. To weave; to fabricate. [R. & Poetic.]
Art Neuendorffer

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:41 pm

bystander wrote:Change your bookmark link to http://asterisk.apod.com/asterisk/,
Select Delete all board cookies from the bottom of any page

Of course you will now have to login in again but it should fix your problems.
Worked like a charm. And I thought I was Computer Savvy. Thanks Bystander