Why more Big Stars Dieing ?

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Why more Big Stars Dieing ?

Post by The Code » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 pm

You See The Media, and Reports. "Standard Candle". Why Do We See More super Nova, Than we Do Old stars dieing ? is there Any difference ? If So, What Info do We Ascertain From This ?

tc
Always trying to find the answers

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Why more Big Stars Dieing ?

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 am

Die, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Died; p. pr. & vb. n. Dying.] [OE. deyen, dien, of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. deyja; akin to Dan. döe, Sw. dö, Goth. diwan (cf. Goth. afdjan to harass), OFries. dia to kill, OS. doian to die, OHG. touwen, OSlav. daviti to choke, Lith. dovyti to torment. Cf. Dead, Death.]
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 am

^ unhuh, so?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Re: Why more Big Stars Dying ?

Post by dougettinger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:13 am

The Code wrote:You See The Media, and Reports. "Standard Candle". Why Do We See More super Nova, Than we Do Old stars dieing ? is there Any difference ? If So, What Info do We Ascertain From This ?

tc
This is an interesting question. I will restate the question. In the same time period, let's say 1000 years, are there more novae or supernovae in our Milky Way galaxy. I believe the answer may vary with the type of galaxy and the age of the universe.

What is actually defined as the death of a star ? When it first becomes a Variable Star and releases copious amounts of material and energy in a cyclic manner ? Or when the final last explosion occurs ? Or when the star becomes a red giant ?

4/19/2011
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Why more Big Stars Dying ?

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:26 am

dougettinger wrote:This is an interesting question. I will restate the question. In the same time period, let's say 1000 years, are there more novae or supernovae in our Milky Way galaxy. I believe the answer may vary with the type of galaxy and the age of the universe.
Novas are much more common than supernovas.
What is actually defined as the death of a star ?
Stars don't die. The expression is a poetic one, not a scientific one. Stars evolve from one state to another. I'd guess if you asked a bunch of astronomers what they would call "dying" they'd suggest a supernova for massive stars, and the end of fusion for less massive stars. But there is no technically correct or incorrect answer.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: dougettinger wrote:This is an interesting question. I will restate the question. In the same time period, let's say 1000 years, are there more novae or supernovae in our Milky Way galaxy. I believe the answer may vary with the type of galaxy and the age of the universe.

Why ? Why the sudden creation of large Stars? When the norm seam's to be Binary, very long lasting stars ? Or was there always this variant ? What changed from a large production of sun like binary stars, To massive short living stars ? And as long life small stars hate to give up there energy, (hydrogen) Where did all the new matter come from to build massive Stars ?

tc

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:15 pm

The Code wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote: dougettinger wrote:This is an interesting question. I will restate the question. In the same time period, let's say 1000 years, are there more novae or supernovae in our Milky Way galaxy. I believe the answer may vary with the type of galaxy and the age of the universe.

Why ? Why the sudden creation of large Stars? When the norm seam's to be Binary, very long lasting stars ? Or was there always this variant ? What changed from a large production of sun like binary stars, To massive short living stars ? And as long life small stars hate to give up there energy, (hydrogen) Where did all the new matter come from to build massive Stars ?
tc
I will answer most of your questions. There are more novas than supernovas because all mature galaxies have many more average size stars than super-massive stars that generate supernovas. The norm is more than 50 % binaries and could possibly be as much as 80 to 90 %. The norm is that there are many more small and medium size stars than massive stars; there may have been more massive stars in the first epoch or first generation of stars in any typical galaxy. As the massive stars explode the resulting gases and dust generally create smaller stars and also these gases may be expelled from the galaxy resulting in less material to create larger stars. The matter used to build massive stars in the last billion years came from anomalous concentrations of gases created by the pushing of matter by supernova shock fronts and the compression of gases created by the spiral arms of the spiral galaxies. Smaller stars have less gravity forces and cooler temperatures thereby expending much less energy over long periods of time; therefore thay live much longer and will continue burning long after all the massive stars have esploded and disappeared.

Keeping being a skeptic; you will learn more. Doug
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 pm

dougettinger wrote:I will answer most of your questions. There are more novas than supernovas because all mature galaxies have many more average size stars than super-massive stars that generate supernovas
Thanks doug. "But 8-)"

Since I am looking at the big picture, I wounder how you come to view a "mature galaxy" Since our galaxy is said to be 13 billion years old, and yet our galaxy is still only very small. I must make the assumption that to create a galaxy 20 times the size of the milky way, another process is taking place to make these throw out massive stars. But How ? If we have a process for big galaxies, We must have one for big stars. huh ? But how can we have stable galaxies 20 times the size of ours ? And one last question. How old is the Horse Head Nebula ? When Big Stars only last In the millions of years ?

tc

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Mature galaxies have most or all their stars consisting of Population I stars with high metallicity. In other words, most of the super-massive and massive stars have exploded and created through nucleosynthesis the higher metals. Mature galaxies also exhibit less gas and dust; i.e., either the materials for star-making were expelled due to SN explosions or have been used to make all the smaller or average size stars. Also, the colar spectrum reveals the age of galaxies; the bluer the galaxy the younger and more active it is because it have numerous white or blue-white massive stars.

What galaxy are you referring to that is 20 times the size of our galaxy ?

Massive stars are not thrown out of a galaxy. They live short lives and then explode leaving behind neutron stars and black holes. You might ask where are all these celestial objects or remnants.

Galaxies orginally formed from clumps of gas that formed after the Big Bang. Within these clumps massive stars formed. Each successive generation of massive stars created more smaller stars and had less gas to form additional massive stars.

The Horsehead Nebula is a dark nebula that has a very short lifetime probably comparable to massive stars in cosmic time.
The dust in this nebula will eventually photo-evaporate because of surrounding radiation pressure.
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 pm

dougettinger wrote:What galaxy are you referring to that is 20 times the size of our galaxy ?
Things are a little more complex than that mate. We are all the big bangs children remember. Only some kids are bigger than others ! Only, I'd be happy to brush off 100 million solar mass Black Hole. But when I discovered that this (100 million solar mass Black Hole) was orbiting an 18 billion solar mass Black hole, Well I just cant believe. The Fact that our universe all formed in the same way. Things must be very different, in lots of ways, but no records of a discrepant universe is understood....

Quote: IC 1101 floats with a girth of 6 million light years, making it 60 times larger than our milky way with its mere 100,000 light year diameter. how many stars does the most massive elliptical galaxy contain? 100,000,000,000,000 = 100 trillion = 10^14 stars. how does the number of stars in the largest galaxy in the universe compare to the number of cells in the human body? see starts with a bang to find out!

http://amandabauer.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... verse.html

tc

dougettinger
Curious Querier

Post by dougettinger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 am

According to Wikepedia IC 1101 does exist and is 50 times the size and 2000 times the mass of our Milky Way galaxy. Tis true. I do not know how astronomers know these parameters of a galaxy located near the limits of the known universe. This galaxy is a definite anomaly supposely caused by the collision of numerous galaxies the size of the Milky Way and a large concentration of Dark Matter.

Maybe our universe is only a small part of an animal like T-rex and IC 1101 is its pinal gland. I may be going out on a very weak limb since I really do not know how many living cells are in a T-rex.
Doug Ettinger
Pittsburgh, PA