Core of the milky way galaxy.

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
babaonet
Ensign
AKA: Dhrubajyoti Nath

Core of the milky way galaxy.

Post by babaonet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Towards which direction one can see the core of our own galaxy, Milky way? And how much aperture and magnification of a telescope is need to see it?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Core of the milky way galaxy.

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:22 pm

babaonet wrote:Towards which direction one can see the core of our own galaxy, Milky way? And how much aperture and magnification of a telescope is need to see it?
The center of the Milky Way lies in Sagittarius. It is obscured by dust, and can only be observed directly in IR or radio wavelengths.

Visually, your best view of the region is with a pair of binoculars. Look where the "steam" is heaviest at the spout of the Teapot (Sagittarius), above the stinger stars of Scorpius, and you'll be looking at the center of the galaxy.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

babaonet
Ensign
AKA: Dhrubajyoti Nath

Post by babaonet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks Chris. I will try to gaze it with my 50mm telescope, of course, when the stupid clouds on my over head will be gone.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
The center of the Milky Way lies in Sagittarius. It is obscured by dust, and can only be observed directly in IR or radio wavelengths.

Visually, your best view of the region is with a pair of binoculars. Look where the "steam" is heaviest at the spout of the Teapot (Sagittarius), above the stinger stars of Scorpius, and you'll be looking at the center of the galaxy.
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:23 am

Ouch for the memory.

I can still recall -- almost 6 decades later -- being sent home from Kindergarten following the singing of "I'm A Little Teapot". I can no longer recall my particular sin, only that it was extreme. (But what can a child do that is that bad?)

Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 am

rstevenson wrote:
Ouch for the memory.

I can still recall -- almost 6 decades later -- being sent home from Kindergarten following the singing of "I'm A Little Teapot". I can no longer recall my particular sin, only that it was extreme. (But what can a child do that is that bad?)
  • Oh, Rob :!: ... For shame :oops:
Art Neuendorffer