APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
therm

Re: APOD: QR Codes: Not for Human Eyes (2011 Oct 04)

Post by therm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I always wake up to my cup of coffee and beautiful APOD images. Today, I'll zip over to NASA and see what the Mars Rover(s) are up to. I don't mind these types of stories at all, I just have to get my astropic fix.

RobSavoie

Post by RobSavoie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:55 pm

I choose APOD as my home page so I can see beauty and learn new things. Today's QR code satisfied the second need perfectly. Thank you.

NikonAZ

Post by NikonAZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:56 pm

I get the technology aspect of this, but to have the QR code link back to the main page was a waste! It would have been better to at least have it link to an image! I would fix that immediately! You may be able to salvage the rest of the day and redeem yourselves! :evil:

Peter13123

Post by Peter13123 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Indigo_Sunrise wrote:
Phix wrote:....but APOD posting a QR code is by no means the end of the world.
^^^THIS^^^

Enderby wrote: Every one of you has sand in your vagina.
:shock: Even the males among us????!!!?! :shock:
(LOL!)

Peter123123 wrote:And please drop the juvenile nonsense, that people shouldn't complain about a website, but should just make their own instead. It's not valid. If you don't like peoples real opinions, don't visit the forum.
And get over yourself, Peter123123. You think you are the only one allowed to post an opinion? Puh-leeze. :roll:
Oh and click on any one of the links in the description, and you might learn something as well.

:saturn:
Where did I express that I'm the only one allowed to post my opinion? I expressed quite the opposite, since I'm opposing those people saying that people shouldn't complain.

I'm not even particularly against the picture myself. I think it's boring, and not what I come to see, but I'm fine with some of the pictures being "off topic" once in a while.

FmK

Post by FmK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Things are amazing, and people are unhappy. I thought that was a great post APOD. I love my astronomy pictures, but information is great too. For all of the complaining people, you are a bunch of spoiled brats. Maybe you shouldn't depend on someone else for your fun.. or at least quit complaining about stuff that isn't that big of a deal.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Duke wrote:Print out the QR code and put it somewhere where it might lead the public to our favorite Astro picture site. I think this is the meaning of today's APOD.
I think Duke's post was a little more insightful than most of what I've read today. Or maybe just more optimistic? Anyway, let's try to be a little more civilized and constructive in our interactions. I don't think the anonymity of the internet gives us license to verbally barf all over people with whom we don't agree.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm

NikonAZ wrote:I get the technology aspect of this, but to have the QR code link back to the main page was a waste! It would have been better to at least have it link to an image! I would fix that immediately! You may be able to salvage the rest of the day and redeem yourselves! :evil:
It will make more sence tomorrow when your Smart Phone displays that days image by going to the same link. it is only currently linking to the bar code APOD because that is the current daily image. Wait for Tomorrow

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Likely soon to follow, an APP that places the current APOD image as your smart phone desktop image

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Taxpayer wrote:
me98765543 wrote: As for the guy who claims we should be happy because this is free, you are a moron.
Indeed! This site, as are all government sites, is wholly funded by TAX revenue. It is supposed to deliver information related to astronomy, not pseudo-barcode technology. And for the suggestion it's meant for all the "dedicated" fans to print out and plaster everywhere, that's absurd. Even desperately pathetic.

As a US Citizen and Taxpayer, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!
Finally! 3 pages in and one criticism that actually has enough substance to it to be worth responding to.

Yes, the site is government funded, as the editors maintain it on a part time basis, and I believe a couple volunteers also contribute to some degree (in addition to those who volunteer images). I'm not sure if it receives any direct funding from NASA, or merely hosting.

However they may be funded, they are not stipulated with specific limitations on what they are allowed to devote their time to educating the public about. They have discretion in what they deem to be "relevant to astronomy." The implied link between QR codes and the Voyager golden record was made very subtly, but made nonetheless.

Personally, I agree with most of you here - I don't come here to learn about barcodes. However, the barcode post was still educational, and it's most definitely the exception, not the rule.

Also, just to piss off the more juvenile among the posters here, I actually am going to print off that QR code and post it around a few places tomorrow for people to stumble upon.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

Mr. Brooks

Post by Mr. Brooks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Wow you all are crazy. This website has been sending you astronomy related images for well over 10-15 years. They want to have a little fun with the public and you all bitch about it? Grow up people, this is astronomy related, astronomy is technology and so is this. This symbol is alien related. LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE PLEOPLE! APOD...thanks and keep sending picture that influence out minds everyday.. Kudos..

Mr. Brooks

juliemam

Post by juliemam » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 pm

today's offering served to educate me on two things:
--these weird pixelated squares I kept seeing but was only told they were for smart phones.
--that APOD has a comments page, how fun.

and also confirmed for me that, yes, people everywhere are critics.

Keep up the great work APOD, I enjoy every day's image.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Taxpayer wrote:
me98765543 wrote: As for the guy who claims we should be happy because this is free, you are a moron.
Indeed! This site, as are all government sites, is wholly funded by TAX revenue. It is supposed to deliver information related to astronomy, not pseudo-barcode technology. And for the suggestion it's meant for all the "dedicated" fans to print out and plaster everywhere, that's absurd. Even desperately pathetic.

As a US Citizen and Taxpayer, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!
Finally! 3 pages in and one criticism that actually has enough substance to it to be worth responding to.

Yes, the site is government funded, as the editors maintain it on a part time basis, and I believe a couple volunteers also contribute to some degree (in addition to those who volunteer images). I'm not sure if it receives any direct funding from NASA, or merely hosting.

However they may be funded, they are not stipulated with specific limitations on what they are allowed to devote their time to educating the public about. They have discretion in what they deem to be "relevant to astronomy." The implied link between QR codes and the Voyager golden record was made very subtly, but made nonetheless.

Personally, I agree with most of you here - I don't come here to learn about barcodes. However, the barcode post was still educational, and it's most definitely the exception, not the rule.

Also, just to piss off the more juvenile among the posters here, I actually am going to print off that QR code and post it around a few places tomorrow for people to stumble upon.
and the bar code APP is now on your smart phone for tomorrows APOD image(s)

Suura8

Post by Suura8 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I love APOD.

I appreciate the images and the explanations without which many [most] of the images would be just "shiny" to me.

APOD is my homepage and will remain so.

I would like Dr. Nemiroff and Dr. Bonnell to know how much I appreciate their work and dedication.

Thank you so much.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:27 pm

While you may not have come out and said your opinion is the only one that matters (paraphrased), from some of your other posts it sure looks that way:
Peter13123 wrote:...the juvenile nonsense....

OPINION.
I'm fine with some of the pictures being "off topic" once in a while.

Then why critique everyone else's inputs????????
Pete1234 wrote:It's pathetic how people can't handle criticism.
Ironic........

:wink:

Pete12123

Post by Pete12123 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:44 pm

FmK wrote:Things are amazing, and people are unhappy. I thought that was a great post APOD. I love my astronomy pictures, but information is great too. For all of the complaining people, you are a bunch of spoiled brats. Maybe you shouldn't depend on someone else for your fun.. or at least quit complaining about stuff that isn't that big of a deal.
This site is called Astronomy Picture Of the Day, not random information picture of the day.

It's ridiculous nonsense that people shouldn't complain. Nothing ever gets changed if people just shut up. Just because you don't mind, you think you should decide that everybody else should shut up about it.

Maybe you should stop whining about the comments?

MPC

Post by MPC » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I was surprised at the submission today, but then amused with the responses. It is an example of human beings' psychology to read. I can get my fix in the archive if I really need it. Quite a demonstration of life on a planet! (not sure what to think of that though)

pete1234

Post by pete1234 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Guest wrote:While you may not have come out and said your opinion is the only one that matters (paraphrased), from some of your other posts it sure looks that way:
Peter13123 wrote:...the juvenile nonsense....

OPINION.
I'm fine with some of the pictures being "off topic" once in a while.

Then why critique everyone else's inputs????????
Pete1234 wrote:It's pathetic how people can't handle criticism.
Ironic........

:wink:
Not ironic at all. You just seem to not understand logic.

I critique their inputs, because I'm not a hypocrite. Whether I agree with them or not, on what APOD should show, I'm still gonna critique them, if their reasoning for it is bad.

People have the right to complain about the quality of APOD. APOD exists for the viewers. If the viewers aren't happy, the authors are going to consider changing it. But there is a bunch of APOD fanboys here, who wants to defend anything APOD posts, no matter what, and don't think anyone should be allowed to write anything negative about it. That's hypocritical.

Pete1234

Post by Pete1234 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Mr. Brooks wrote:Wow you all are crazy. This website has been sending you astronomy related images for well over 10-15 years. They want to have a little fun with the public and you all bitch about it? Grow up people, this is astronomy related, astronomy is technology and so is this. This symbol is alien related. LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE PLEOPLE! APOD...thanks and keep sending picture that influence out minds everyday.. Kudos..

Mr. Brooks
A few corrections there:

It's not astronomy related.
It's not alien related.
Astronomy is not technology. Technology is a tool used in astronomy.

Shin

Post by Shin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 pm

i realize this isn't the apod i hoped for today, but thanks for entertaining me every day~

maybe all you haters should have your own apod if you hate the free service you get here :-?

tjerome

Post by tjerome » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 pm

NikonAZ wrote:I get the technology aspect of this, but to have the QR code link back to the main page was a waste! It would have been better to at least have it link to an image! I would fix that immediately! You may be able to salvage the rest of the day and redeem yourselves! :evil:
Amazingly, after 200+ responses to today's image, no one seems to have written about the reason for making the QR code link "back" to the main APOD website: it's so you can print out this QR code and leave it for people to scan (yes, you do need a smartphone of some type, but it doesn't have to be an Apple brand) on any day OTHER than TODAY, and it will take them to the then-current astro photo, and NOT the QR code image! I posted one in my help-desk office waiting area to help people who are waiting while away the time constructively.

I, too, was initially disappointed when I saw the admittedly non-beautiful QR code today, but then I read the description and clicked on the fun and informative links in the description, and I was happy for today's digression from photos. After all, chances are reasonably good, based upon past performance, that the APOD crew will post another of the beautiful astro images for which they are rightly renowned. Do you suppose, if you are among those who didn't care for today's image, that you could wait for one day to see what's next? Perhaps there's some other service that provides 100% of your desired needs--I've never seen one, though.

Cheer up! :-)

get_real_people

Post by get_real_people » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm

What a bunch of whiners! You don't have to like every post, but do you have to whine about it like mommy took away your favorite toy?

MJfeinstein

Post by MJfeinstein » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 pm

WOW, lighten up folks!

Tman

Post by Tman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:04 pm

It's the APOD web page. Thanks for posting this. I learned what QR coding is. and got the app to decode it.

crustyOldGrump

Post by crustyOldGrump » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Dear APOD,

I am a grumpy man with an profound sense of entitlement, and I'm very sensitive when people don't meet my expectations. I expect you to do three things:
1. Only venture away from typical astronomy photos when you can guarantee doing so will delight *everyone*
2. Provide me with free entertainment
3. Never make any mistakes or missteps.
That is all.

crustyOldGrump

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 pm

pete1234 wrote: I'm still gonna critique them, if their reasoning for it is bad.

People have the right to complain about the quality of APOD. APOD exists for the viewers. If the viewers aren't happy, the authors are going to consider changing it. But there is a bunch of APOD fanboys here, who wants to defend anything APOD posts, no matter what, and don't think anyone should be allowed to write anything negative about it. That's hypocritical.

You can't have it both ways - first you say 'their reasoning is bad' - which is YOUR OPINION (of their reasoning. Which is their opinion. I'm sure the folks that think this APOD is alright, think their own opinion is just fine. Just as those who don't like it that much think their opinion is good.)

Then you say something disparaging about 'APOD fanboys' - again YOUR OPINION - and folks who dare to disagree with you, (i.e. those that think this APOD is okay), you ask them to justify their opinion??????

Lay off.

:twisted: