origins of comets

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
geomouse
Asternaut

origins of comets

Post by geomouse » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm not what anyone would call a character from Big Bang Theory. I do like to ponder the universe though :ssmile: I had, what I thought was, an intersting proposal. Considering the origin of water on earth is generally accepted to be derived from cometary collisions with our fair planet, Earth absorbing and melting the ice, would it be fair to speculate that all the ice and water that make up cometary particles originated here on earth? Could the comets we enjoy today have possibly been knocked out into their respective oblong orbits by one or a series of massive collisions during the formation of our moon? Perhaps our earth was once a much larger, colder snowball a little further from the sun :?:

thanks in advance for considering the possibilities! Really enjoy this site...one of my favourites!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: origins of comets

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:37 pm

geomouse wrote:I'm not what anyone would call a character from Big Bang Theory. I do like to ponder the universe though :ssmile: I had, what I thought was, an intersting proposal. Considering the origin of water on earth is generally accepted to be derived from cometary collisions with our fair planet, Earth absorbing and melting the ice, would it be fair to speculate that all the ice and water that make up cometary particles originated here on earth? Could the comets we enjoy today have possibly been knocked out into their respective oblong orbits by one or a series of massive collisions during the formation of our moon? Perhaps our earth was once a much larger, colder snowball a little further from the sun :?:
No. Everything points to icy bodies forming early in the evolution of the Solar System. The collision that created the Moon wouldn't explain the current positions of icy bodies, nor their composition- which is not just water ice, but CO2, CO, CN, CH4, and plenty of other volatiles that would not have been present in large quantities on the Earth 4+ billion years ago.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:11 am

Chris Peterson wrote:No. Everything points to icy bodies forming early in the evolution of the Solar System. The collision that created the Moon wouldn't explain the current positions of icy bodies, nor their composition- which is not just water ice, but CO2, CO, CN, CH4, and plenty of other volatiles that would not have been present in large quantities on the Earth 4+ billion years ago.
This theory is supported by recent findings in TW Hydrae. http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=29149
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geomouse
Asternaut

Post by geomouse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for your replies... :D