Thanksgiving Day

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Thanksgiving Day

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Now that Halloween is over; we can anticipate the Thanksgiving feast. :lol: :chomp: :b: Don't anybody overdo now! :roll: :D 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Thanksgiving Day

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:54 pm

THANKSGIVING. That's when we all become turkeys and 'Gobble-up' all the food in sight, thus becomeing that age old adage - you are what you eat - stuffed turkeys :!: :chomp: :clap: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Mmmmm! I can taste those pumpkin pies now! Topped with whipped cream! :chomp:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:07 am

Celebrating All Saints Day in memory of your dead loved ones is a relatively new tradition in Sweden. In October this year my best friend's father, aged 90, died, and soon after that my mother became ill and had to go to the hospital, although she is back to normal now. But All Saints Day was a bit more emotional than usual for us this year. Another friend joined us as we travelled from churchyard to churchyard, putting "tomb lights" on the graves of loved ones. For myself, I only had my father's resting place to visit, since my other dead relatives are buried in another part of Sweden.

This is the place where my father rests. It is a place where people are cremated and buried without tombstones, but many people come here and put flowers here all the time. It is very beautiful. On the night of All Saints, the place was absolutely full of fluttering ligths and respectful people standing there in contemplation. It looked much like this, although there were many more people there when I and my two friends went there.

My best friend's father was buried here, too.

Pumpkin soup, although not the soup we ate.
Afterwards, we went to my best friend's house. She had made a stunningly lovely pumpkin soup. You peel a pumpkin and cut the "flesh" of it in small pieces, then you roast the pumpkin pieces in the oven with onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, olive oil and salt flakes. Then you put the soft pieces in a pot, add chicken stock, cream and white wine, heats it so that it boils, after which you reduce the heat and mix it all well with a blender. It's sensational. We ate the soup with roasted pumpkin seeds, flakes of parmesan cheese and sprigs of fresh mint. We also had bread seasoned with rosemary and thyme, which had been made with tomato juice, so that it had a fantastic deep saffron color. My friend had also made little puff pastry rolls filled with chanterelles and bacon.

It was a moving and memorable day with fantastic food in the end.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:29 am

Gave Thanks and still eating leftovers. :mrgreen:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:04 am

You were not the only one who enjoyed a hearty Thanksgiving meal, Orin. Did you see the picture of these ringtailed lemurs that were given a Thanksgiving feast at the San Fransico Zoo? :chomp: :D

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Ann wrote:
You were not the only one who enjoyed a hearty Thanksgiving meal, Orin. Did you see the picture of these ringtailed lemurs that were given a Thanksgiving feast at the San Fransico Zoo? :chomp: :D

Ann
They have a brown guest trying to get in on the action! :mrgreen:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm

Can hardly believe it is that time of year again! I hope everyone has a great feast this Thursday! :b: :thumb_up:
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm
Can hardly believe it is that time of year again! I hope everyone has a great feast this Thursday! :b: :thumb_up:
We get to all sit around a large table & contemplate the very first official Thanksgiving Day...
in the middle of the last U.S. civil war (which seemed somewhat less divisive & contentious). :-|
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 pm
We get to all sit around a large table & contemplate the very first official Thanksgiving Day...
in the middle of the last U.S. civil war (which seemed somewhat less divisive & contentious). :-|
And a lot ou people will probably eat until they don't feel too good and then watch TV the rest of the day!
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:20 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 pm
neufer wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 pm
We get to all sit around a large table & contemplate the very first official Thanksgiving Day...in the middle of the last U.S. civil war (which seemed somewhat less divisive & contentious). :-|
And a lot of people will probably eat until they don't feel too good and then watch TV the rest of the day!
I'll try my best to keep it happy all the way through.
Art Neuendorffer