Pets

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
starstruck
Science Officer

Re: Pets

Post by starstruck » Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 am

Well, I think Beyond was right!, 'cos all those duck babies in Moonlady's picture are actually ittle-bitty goosies . . . they're Canada Geese. Ducks certainly quack around where I live (and I'm sure they "kvack" over in Sweden too!), but wherever they are in the world, geese definitely honk!

It is a cute picture tho' :ssmile:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 am

starstruck wrote:Well, I think Beyond was right!, 'cos all those duck babies in Moonlady's picture are actually ittle-bitty goosies . . . they're Canada Geese. Ducks certainly quack around where I live (and I'm sure they "kvack" over in Sweden too!), but wherever they are in the world, geese definitely honk!

It is a cute picture tho' :ssmile:
Of course they are geese!

How could I miss that? Here where I live we have thousands of them... I was just looking at the pretty little babies! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Maybe it's because around here, it is Mama (but rarely Papa) Duck that takes her ducklings for a swim. The geese just walk around all over the place, eating grass and leaving piles of "processed grass" everywhere!

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 am

oooops, they are geese! How did I came with ducks???

Dizzling numbers of kids to have!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 am

:lol2: :wink: :lol2: 8-)
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 am

I'm still slightly shocked that I didn't recognize the goslings for what they are. The reason, I guess, is that geese are considered pests around where I live, so when I come across goslings, I'm not happy at all. Therefore I look away because I don't want to see them, and then I banish them from my mind. Ducks, unlike geese, do not overcrowd our parks and are a welcome sight - and as I said, they are usually swimming in one of the ponds in our parks. So when I see ducklings, I really look at them and love them!

But I'll try to pay more attention to the animals in the pictures posted in this thread from now on!

Ann

P.S. Orin, you goose doesn't honk, but sings. Our geese mostly hiss, to show their displeasure at people coming too close to them. At least they don't take me by the left leg. When they hiss at me, I step closer to them so that they have to back down! :evil:
Last edited by Ann on Thu May 17, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Ann wrote:
P.S. Orin, you goose doesn't honk, but sing. Our geese mostly hiss, to show their displeasure at people coming too close to them. At least they don't take me by the left leg. When they hiss at me, I step closer to them so that they have to back down! :evil:
Ahh! So you've never been goosed! :wink: :lol2: We lived on the outskirts of a town when I was growing up; Mom had a couple of geese and we had a lot of ducks and chickens! All were a food source of course; but I learned to respect the geese when they started to hiss. I never got goosed though as I could outrun them. :mrgreen: :wink: Roust goose on the Christmas table was better than Turkey! :chomp: :chomp: :thumb_up: :yes: :wink:
Orin

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 pm

No matter when,,,,goose and turkey, domesticated or wild, are a fowl way to celebrate something. :chomp: :yes: :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Beyond wrote:No matter when,,,,goose and turkey, domesticated or wild, are a fowl way to celebrate something. :chomp: :yes: :lol2:

There are two things in the world, when I can not shut up, no matter what!

1. Planets are not stars! (I have told my friends a hundred times when they say look at that big star, and I say no it is actually a planet, it is Jupiter, they look at me and are silent...but next time ,
again :roll:

2. Turkey is a country... eat a country...a lot to digest...but I suggest to visit Turkey, there is a lot to see, all the ancient civilisations that came and went :thumb_up: :yes:

I am from Turkey

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 17, 2012 5:26 pm

It is of course strange that a bird should have the same name as a country. As you might guess, the bird was named after the country.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=turkey wrote:
turkey
1540s, "guinea fowl" (Numida meleagris), imported from Madagascar via Turkey, by Near East traders known as turkey merchants. The larger North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) was domesticated by the Aztecs, introduced to Spain by conquistadors (1523) and thence to wider Europe, by way of North Africa (then under Ottoman rule) and Turkey (Indian corn was originally turkey corn or turkey wheat in English for the same reason).

The word turkey was first applied to it in English 1550s because it was identified with or treated as a species of the guinea fowl. The Turkish name for it is hindi, lit. "Indian," probably via M.Fr. dinde (c.1600, contracted from poulet d'inde, lit. "chicken from India," Mod.Fr. dindon), based on the common misconception that the New World was eastern Asia.
This thing, usually called a turnip in English, is also called a swede. I don't know if it's better to have a bird named after your country than having turnips named after it.

Ann
Color Commentator

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Thu May 17, 2012 5:31 pm

tess the border collie.jpg
Tess is looking quite nonplussed by these latest posts :!: :-? :!:
This thread was originally about 'Pets' . . so what happened :?: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ann, fret-ye-not, you are allowed to make a mistake (only ONE mind you!) . . you are able to identify all sorts of wonderful things in starscapes, so you are forgiven on this occasion for mistaking those geese (and you always have the excuse that the goslings do look very much like ducklings anyway . . it's really only their parents that give the game away!)

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm

starstruck wrote:
tess the border collie.jpg
Tess is looking quite nonplussed by these latest posts
This thread was originally about 'Pets' . . so what happened

Well, I think we are still close to the thread...some love pets to keep, some loves pet to eat :wink:

Ann, fret-ye-not, you are allowed to make a mistake (only ONE mind you!) . . you are able to identify all sorts of wonderful things in starscapes, so you are forgiven on this occasion for mistaking those geese (and you always have the excuse that the goslings do look very much like ducklings anyway . . it's really only their parents that give the game away!)
Tess-y come here, good dog, such a sweety you are, so cute, now be a good dog and bring my newspaper, well done here is your treat, now bring me my blanket, oh such a good dog! :puppy: :yes:

English people eat turkey, swede and hamburger (Hamburg is still populated though :lol2: )
Turkish people eat indeed hindi, but call Indian people Hindistanli, so not much cannibal there.
German people eat Bremer, Frankfurter, Berliner, Nürnberger but they eat not only on national basis: Amerikaner and Wiener are welcome too :chomp: :lol2:
and you will not like to eat Pariser in Germany :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu May 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Starstruck wrote:
Ann, fret-ye-not, you are allowed to make a mistake (only ONE mind you!)
One mistake!!! :shock:

And I have already made it! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I feel like this cat, which was thrown out from the twelfth floor of this building. The cat survived relatively unscathed. But how many of her lives has she used up...?

Read about it here.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Ann wrote: I feel like this cat, which was thrown out from the twelfth floor of this building. The cat survived relatively unscathed. But how many of her lives has she used up...?

Read about it here.

Ann
It is sad that somebody would do such a cruel thing to a pet!
Orin

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Look at this smiley! It's name is Threridion grallator, I think they are beautiful, their color change, camouflage, depends on their nutrition. (Do they laugh because they eat a lot of clowns?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... pider.html

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I had to post some more pictures of Sassy! Ann commented about her wearing a red scarf and today she is wearing her blue one! Notice how careful she is going down the steps; Sassy seems to be farsighted and has a hard time discerning how far down that step is! :wink: She can spot things two blocks away with ease though! 8-)
Sassy with blue scarf 001.jpg
Sassy with blue scarf 001.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 6442 times
Attachments
Sassy with blue scarf 003.jpg
Sassy with blue scarf 002.jpg
Sassy with blue scarf 002.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 6442 times
Orin

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 pm

ignore these letters and look at the picture...
Attachments
Secret of life...
Secret of life...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Awwwww!!!! ♥ :kitty::kitty:

Thanks, Moonlady! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 pm

ouch I hope it still breathes!
Attachments
LOST (credit funnyjunk)
LOST (credit funnyjunk)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm

if she would pass some gas; that might save the ferret! :mrgreen:
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 pm

orin stepanek wrote:if she would pass some gas; that might save the ferret!
Chihuahua?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:if she would pass some gas; that might save the ferret!
Chihuahua?
Yes I do think you're right! I had to blow it up 400% to tell! Oh My! :oops:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Orin

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm

One of the cutest things about those dogs is their cluelessness.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 am

Orin, what's under the bed? Why do they want to go there?

Some months ago I visited a good friend and she has a cat. That's what had happened:
Attachments
I had left the room after half unpacking my suitcase, coming back he was sleeping in my suitcase!
I had left the room after half unpacking my suitcase, coming back he was sleeping in my suitcase!
Foto-0027.jpg (7.55 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
That was his new throne for the next week! He loved my suitcase lol
That was his new throne for the next week! He loved my suitcase lol
Foto-0001.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 6337 times

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:09 am

Those are actually called catbeds. Didn't you know? It's funny how humans store everything in catbeds.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.