Pets

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Pets

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Moonlady wrote:Orin, what's under the bed? Why do they want to go there?
I'm not sure; I found the video on line! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 pm

geckzilla wrote:Those are actually called catbeds. Didn't you know? It's funny how humans store everything in catbeds.
:lol2: my mistake, oooooooh I am so embarrassed now, I use cat-boxes for things to store and travel with catbeds!

Another friend had a cat too, the cat loved her cloth-drawer-bed, it was just a little open to get in and out! :D

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 am

what a cat thinks...(credit vips)
what a cat thinks...(credit vips)

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I think ... there-fore i am. ... I think.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:38 am

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Sniffle. I had a slightly similar experience with my cat. He got diabetes, and I had to put him on a strict diet and make him swallow pills. He hung on for a while, but he didn't enjoy his life, and his condition deteriorated. I decided to give him a lot of thin slabs of fine raw meat, and he was overjoyed. Of course, he soon got very much worse, and I had to put him down. :cry:

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Ann, I had a diabetic cat, too; I had to test his urine daily and, if needed, give him a shot of insulin. The shots were easy to administer (much easier than pilling a cat, any cat, even my placid big orange fuzzy). That cat died from a Hartz Mountain product about 16 years ago; I still get the diabetes-related mail that started coming to the house after I filled his prescription for insulin.

(The cases of toothpaste I used to get because dentists once owned my current home did finally stop arriving.)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 pm

owlice wrote:Ann, I had a diabetic cat, too; I had to test his urine daily and, if needed, give him a shot of insulin. The shots were easy to administer (much easier than pilling a cat, any cat, even my placid big orange fuzzy). That cat died from a Hartz Mountain product about 16 years ago; I still get the diabetes-related mail that started coming to the house after I filled his prescription for insulin.

(The cases of toothpaste I used to get because dentists once owned my current home did finally stop arriving.)
I must say... you sure seem to be involved with a lot of interesting things, in a lot of interesting ways. You're just not a typical Great Horned Owl. Thanks!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 am

owlice wrote:And though it's an excellent site, I perhaps could have done without this tidbit of info:
The Great Horned Owl is the only animal that regularly eats skunks.
owlice wrote: (The cases of toothpaste I used to get because dentists once owned my current home did finally stop arriving.)
So maybe the Great Horned Owl could have used the toothpaste?

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Sassy has to have surgery tomorrow. :cry: She has bladder stones, and they can't be dissolved; so they have to be removed! she has been having continence problems and the stones are the cause! Hopefully everything will work out good.
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Sassy has to have surgery tomorrow. :cry: She has bladder stones, and they can't be dissolved; so they have to be removed! she has been having continence problems and the stones are the cause! Hopefully everything will work out good.
IM3_05422p.jpg
Our Great Dane, Maia, had surgery this morning. Her stomach was duct taped to her rib (okay, not quite, but that's pretty close). It's a preventative procedure that greatly reduces the chance of stomach torsion and bloat that most large breed dogs are prone to. We'll bring her home this evening. Now to figure out how to keep a 120 pound rambunctious dog calm for a couple of weeks...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 am

I wish both your dogs a speedy recovery!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote:
Our Great Dane, Maia, had surgery this morning. Her stomach was duct taped to her rib (okay, not quite, but that's pretty close). It's a preventative procedure that greatly reduces the chance of stomach torsion and bloat that most large breed dogs are prone to. We'll bring her home this evening.

Now to figure out how to keep a 120 pound rambunctious dog calm for a couple of weeks...
  • Duct tape:
Art Neuendorffer

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 am

Duct tape. It holds the universe together :!: :mrgreen:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Chris how is Maia doing!

The vet called and Sassy is doing fine! I get to pick her up at 1:30 tomorrow.
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Chris how is Maia doing!

The vet called and Sassy is doing fine! I get to pick her up at 1:30 tomorrow.
Doing fine. A bit on the quiet side when she came home last night, but more active today. A good deal more active than I'd be with a 100mm incision in my belly!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Sassy's home; and her spirits are high! :D Right now she is relaxing next to my chair in the computer room! 8-) She wanted a walk as soon as we got home; so I took her around the house once! :wink:
Orin

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Oh WOW! I have only just found this thread and have read it from start to finish! :derp: :thumb_up:
I came onto the forum with serious intent to ask an intelligent (possibly...) Question about today's Apod and have been waylaid by all these gorgeous animals.

Regarding Orin and Chris's dogs and such fast recovery from surgery: Our newest cat, Elvira, was spayed on New Year's Day (yes! A vet open on a public holiday!) Elvira is the first female pet we've had and Paul and I were horrified to discover that neutering for a female was so drastic. Our poor baby!! Argh! So we were nonplussed when she came home, after just four hours away, yelling her head off and wanting some cream. Yes, we KNOW that it is not supposed to be good for them, but ELVIRA doesn't agree with this - and if you had ever heard her voice... Well, how something so small and delicate can make such a raucous din is past comprehension. Anyway, she slept a lot after that - but got over her total hysterectomy a great deal faster than human females do!

Margarita

Mmm, I've just tried to attach a picture of Elvira, but have been told that it is 'invalid'. No information about why. If any techie person reads this, can I have some guidance?? I have uploaded Photos before without a problem.

PS. I have solved the uploading problem - the file name plus path was too long. Shorten it and NO difficulty!
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:34 pm

2013-01-22 16.40.51-1.jpg
Try and try again...
This is posted via my mobile phone rather than my Nexus tablet pc.
It is the same photo that I was trying to upload - odd.
M.
Last edited by MargaritaMc on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 pm

You have a beautiful cat Margarita!
Orin

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm

orin stepanek wrote:You have a beautiful cat Margarita!
Sam.jpg
This is our older cat, named Sam, who put up with this new little person arriving in his domain with great generosity. His companion of ten years, Syd, died on the 7th November and the very next day a tiny starving orphaned kitten turned up in our garden. I was so moved when Sam stepped back and let her eat from his bowl. For several weeks, she wouldn't allow us to approach her, but then suddenly decided that we were okay and has become hugely affectionate.

We did try to find out where she came from, but all we could discover was that our friend Maria-Jose had seen her with an older cat, in the very early mornings, coming down from the nearby mountains to drink at our community's swimming pool. One day the kitten, who was then probably only about ten weeks old, was alone. Her mother had almost certainly been killed crossing the roads. So she was almost certainly feral. But she has now decided firmly to become a house cat! And has trebled in size from the tiny fistful of fur and bones that she was in November. But she is still less than half Sam's size... He is a seriously BIG cat!

Margarita

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Both your cats are lovely, Margarita! :kitty: :kitty: :-D

Ann
Color Commentator

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:39 pm

neufer wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Chris Peterson wrote:
Our Great Dane, Maia, had surgery this morning. Her stomach was duct taped to her rib (okay, not quite, but that's pretty close). It's a preventative procedure that greatly reduces the chance of stomach torsion and bloat that most large breed dogs are prone to. We'll bring her home this evening.

Now to figure out how to keep a 120 pound rambunctious dog calm for a couple of weeks...
  • Duct tape:
Not so sure I would want to be an Iranian Astronaut. Can you imagine going up into space being held into your pod by Duct Tape? Their Astronaut Chairs don't look all that comfortable and the Duct tape Chafes

SJoe
Ensign

Post by SJoe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm not sure why, but I expected more cat pictures.
We've got a Welsh terrier(Joe) and a Sheltie/Lab cross(Annie).

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:53 pm

CatAndPatrickMoore.jpg
SJoe said I'm not sure why, but I expected more cat pictures.
And your dogs are lovely, SJoe

Margarita