a strange co-incidence ?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

a strange co-incidence ?

Post by gwrang » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:39 pm

On Monday morning, 6th of December 2004 at about 4.15 AM Eastern Australia woke up with a bright flash in the sky and a subsequent loud rumble. A lot of reports were made and the noise was recorded by sensitive microphones. Experts told us that it was a meteorite of the size of a basketball or bigger, and that it broke up in the atmosphere.
Here is the link to the report as it appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday, 7th of December:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/12/ ... 30350.html

Could this be a photograph of one of the debri crashing into the sea ???

Here is the text of the article, for those who are reluctant to fill in the required registration :

Meteor lands with a bang

By Richard Macey
December 7, 2004

After circling the sun for billions of years it exploded over northern NSW yesterday with the force of about 500 tonnes of TNT, shaking people from their sleep and lighting up the pre-dawn sky.
As worried Taree residents phoned police, a shockwave from the meteor's blast was heard by networks of sensitive microphones set up near Hobart and Tennant Creek to listen for secret nuclear tests.
"We saw the shockwave for about five minutes," said David Brown, a scientist from the Federal Government's Geoscience Australia, which runs the listening posts.
Dr Brown said the data showed that the meteor, travelling west to east, broke into about five parts high in the sky just north of Taree at 4.18am.
"Any debris would have fallen into the sea," he said, adding that Geoscience Australia's earthquake monitoring stations did not detect any ground impact.
Dr Brown said the explosion was probably equal to that of about 500 tonnes of TNT but could have been as big as that of 1000 tonnes.
Graham Bird, of Taree police, was among those who heard the meteor's arrival. "I certainly woke up," he said. "It sounded like really heavy thunder."
Police received reports of the blast from Wollongong to Coffs Harbour, and his own station received about 70 calls, he said.
"We had a few truck drivers say the sky lit up for about four seconds and that it was like daylight," he said.
The blast woke Warren Burnes, owner of a prawn trawler, who was at home in Harrington, 40 kilometres north of Taree.
"I thought it was the local petrol station exploding," he said. "It was very, very loud. I jumped up in bed and looked outside but I saw nothing. Everyone heard it. It made my sister-in-law's baby cry."
A Manly caller to Angela Catterns's ABC radio program said the jolt knocked a painting off her wall, smashing the glass. "It scared the daylights out of me."
Rob McNaught, an astronomer at Siding Spring, near Coonabarabran, said meteors typically entered the atmosphere at about 20 kilometres a second and started glowing 90 kilometres up.
The boom heard by residents suggested that yesterday's meteor was less than 50 kilometres up when it exploded.
If made from stone or iron the meteor was probably at least as big as a basketball.
Mr McNaught said there was a chance that security cameras in eastern NSW recorded the fireball, or at least its reflected glow.