Belt of Venus, of smog! (APOD 15Jun06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Belt of Venus, of smog! (APOD 15Jun06)

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 am

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Reading the description for the APoD, I sort of chuckled when it mentioned the Belt of Venus. Only because where I live, (about 50 miles south-ish of Baltimore, MD, USA), we have a 'belt of smog'. Seriously!
As I head to work in the morning, I steal glances towards the sky (as weather permits) and have noticed on more than one occassion, a thin, brownish-gray 'belt' in the sky and I thought, "a belt of smog; something to rival Venus' Belt!" :lol:

Kinda sad, really.....
Forget the box, just get outside.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:02 pm

Yes it is sad. Of all the creatures of Earth, Man alone is capable of, by choice, adding to or electing not to add to Green House Gasses that affect the climate.

randall cameron
Ensign

Post by randall cameron » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:20 am

Puh-lease when creating a new topic, give it a meaningful title, not just a date.

Belt of Venus looks worth reading, but APOD June 15, 2006 is pretty non-descript - and very similar to APOD June 12, 2006, which is about a completely different topic.

Thank you.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 pm

randall cameron,
Firstly, my post wasn't about the "Belt of Venus", as you seem to think, it was about a rather disgusting "belt of smog" that I've noticed and thought that the day's APoD was a good spring board for my observation.
Secondly, if all you have to complain about are the titles that I/we give the posts/threads, well... it's really not much to complain about, is it?

:roll:
Forget the box, just get outside.