APOD: Conjunction Over Reunion Island (2012 Mar 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Conjunction Over Reunion Island (2012 Mar 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 am

Image Conjunction Over Reunion Island

Explanation: You don't have to be on Reunion Island to see this week's planetary conjunction. Only if you want to see this picturesque seascape as well. To see the conjunction from just about anywhere in the world, look to the west after sunset. The first planet you may notice is Venus, the brightest object in the western sky. Above Venus, the second brightest object is Jupiter. The hardest planet to spot is Mercury, which is visible only briefly after sunset as a faint dot just above the horizon. Picturesque rocks leading out from Reunion Island to the Indian Ocean populate the foreground of the above picture. Taken last week, the distant planets Venus and Jupiter were joined by a bright crescent Moon, which has now moved away.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Conjunction Over Reunion Island (2012 Mar 07)

Post by Beyond » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:14 am

Well of course they're close together. They 'are' over Reunion Island :yes: :mrgreen:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:03 am

Beyond wrote:Well of course they're close together. They 'are' over Reunion Island :yes: :mrgreen:
You said it! :D :D :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Wolf Kotenberg

Post by Wolf Kotenberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 am

Tomorrow we are scheduled to have clear skies . I will check to see if this is a painting !

revloren
Ensign

Post by revloren » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 am

This picture seemed reversed...until I realized that it was the southern hemisphere! ooops. :oops: :P I think that it would take me some getting used to the sky if I ever travel south of the equator. Here's to dreaming! :wink:

Is Mercury visible?

Post by Is Mercury visible? » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 am

Is Mercury visible in the image?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 am

revloren wrote:This picture seemed reversed...until I realized that it was the southern hemisphere! ooops. :oops: :P I think that it would take me some getting used to the sky if I ever travel south of the equator. Here's to dreaming! :wink:
What I loved the most of my trip to Argentina last summer was to see the southern sky! I was expecting to see the Southern Cross and different constelations, but I was not prepared to see a reversed moon :shock: And also the climate! Its difficult to get used to the fact that the cold winds come from the south and the hot winds come from the north, and that the proper way to build a house if you want to get the most sun is orienting it to the north!

Steve Dutch

Post by Steve Dutch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

"but I was not prepared to see a reversed moon."

When I saw the Moon from the Southern Hemisphere, my first thought was "That's weird - it looks right side up." I'm use to the inverted telescopic view.

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm

APOD Robot wrote:You don't have to be on Reunion Island to see this week's planetary conjunction.
. . . maybe not, but it sure would be nice!
Wolf Kotenberg wrote:Tomorrow we are scheduled to have clear skies . I will check to see if this is a painting !
. . . Good one Wolf! Here, have an iced one . . :b:

JohnColes

Post by JohnColes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

.....a little later in the evening and Mars (burning red), Venus and Jupiter were all visible, not to mention a crescent moon.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Ignacio wrote:Is Mercury visible in the image?
I don't think so; not visible, but the position of Mercury is afaik inside the photo frame. If my calculations are correct, then Mercury’s position should be in the bright patch on the left, just above the horizon (circled in the image below).

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I like today's picture but it doesn't make a good wallpaper shot. That's OK though; it is still worth looking at! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

FloridaMike
Science Officer

Post by FloridaMike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I like today's picture but it doesn't make a good wallpaper shot. That's OK though; it is still worth looking at! 8-)

Looks pretty good on my Windows Phone....
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:38 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I like today's picture but it doesn't make a good wallpaper shot. That's OK though; it is still worth looking at! 8-)
The image is so abstract and devoid of scale you can arbitrarily resize it and it still works. You'd hardly detect the distortion. The Moon's a little funky, but it's kind of an interesting effect.
conjunction1_perrot_960_wp.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 am

Thanks Chris; that works for me. :thumb_up: :yes: :-D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
The image is so abstract and devoid of scale you can arbitrarily resize it and it still works. You'd hardly detect the distortion. The Moon's a little funky, but it's kind of an interesting effect.
conjunction1_perrot_960_wp.jpg

Alternatively, you can use Photoshop's handy, dandy, content-aware scale feature and save the moon!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:19 am

Wow, geckzilla, you've really broadened your horizon :!: Say, can you do that with the spam smilie also :?: :?: I like to watch it do it's thing, it's just so 8-)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

lup974
Ensign

Post by lup974 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:22 am

Hello everybody,
Rather than distort a photo :o , here is a horizontal version. It is less painful for the eyes :D
Luc Perrot
Attachments
Conjunction Over Reunion Island.jpg

Is Mercury visible?

Post by Is Mercury visible? » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

Case wrote:
Ignacio wrote:Is Mercury visible in the image?
I don't think so; not visible, but the position of Mercury is afaik inside the photo frame. If my calculations are correct, then Mercury’s position should be in the bright patch on the left, just above the horizon (circled in the image below).
Thank you Case,
Wonderfull work with the image!

Ignacio

yellowbag

Post by yellowbag » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

this picture is strange. where i live, in southeastern quebec, venus is on the right and jupiter is above and left to venus. is this because this picture is from the idian ocean? please explain anyone.

YPmule

Post by YPmule » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:05 am

Conjunction by moon light from central Idaho March 4 (Mercury is either behind the hill or lost in the sunset.)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:53 am

yellowbag wrote:this picture is strange. where i live, in southeastern quebec, venus is on the right and jupiter is above and left to venus. is this because this picture is from the idian ocean? please explain anyone.
Currently, Venus is just slightly north of the ecliptic (right of it when you're facing west), and Jupiter is just slightly south of it (left when you're facing west). If you were in southern Florida, you'd see the ecliptic going straight up from the western horizon, overhead, and down to the eastern horizon, so you'd see Venus just to the right of Jupiter. Heading north, the ecliptic would tilt increasingly towards the south (up and left when facing west), so Venus would seem farther to the right of Jupiter. But if you traveled south, the ecliptic would tilt the other way- to the north, or up and right. So you'd start seeing Jupiter to the right of Venus. Of course, no matter where you were, Jupiter would remain east (above) Venus.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 pm

YPmule wrote:Conjunction by moon light from central Idaho March 4 (Mercury is either behind the hill or lost in the sunset.)
120304Jupiter-and-Venus-by-M.jpg
Lovely photo! I think Mercury is behind one of the trees, just above a hill, lost in in the glow anyway.

YPmule

Post by YPmule » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Case wrote:
YPmule wrote:Conjunction by moon light from central Idaho March 4 (Mercury is either behind the hill or lost in the sunset.)
120304Jupiter-and-Venus-by-M.jpg
Lovely photo! I think Mercury is behind one of the trees, just above a hill, lost in in the glow anyway.
Thank you - yes that is where we thought Mercury was located. Your annotation is remarkable.