APOD's main NASA site
77%
a smartphone app
2%
an APOD non-English mirror site
2%
the Asterisk, APOD's discussion board
1%
Other (if you would like, please explain below)
12%

Total votes: 1576

Grimgrim

Re: APOD assessment poll #5

Post by Grimgrim » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the APOD. I read it every day!

I first see the APOD through a Gadgets on my desktop. I grab it a while ago here in this forum (http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20873). Unfortunetly, the link doesn't work anymore :-( But the Gadget still work!

stirwise

Post by stirwise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm

I've been viewing APOD via RSS for years. Typically I use Google Reader as my RSS aggregator, but I also use Feedler on my iPhone and EasyRSS on my Kindle Fire.

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm

I "voted" other as I didn't understand the question or options. We use IE8 to view APOD. The link has been in our favorites for many years - since we got internet access up here (at least 3 computers ago!) When I share the daily APOD, I go to to the archives to get the url for that day to email to others.

Thank you for being our daily dose to the universe!

gvpelican

Post by gvpelican » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I get APOD by email every morning, and appreciate being able to start the day with it. Thanks for branching out with the dancing video--it's inspiring to see the place we hold for human happiness in this wondrous universe!

jackum32

Post by jackum32 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm

APOD is the first thing I look at every day. I have the NASA site bookmarked and most of what I do is via bookmarks. I introduced my computer savvy, future lady-killer, grandson to APOD last year when he was five, and he was so enthralled by the archives that he didn't want to go home.

revloren
Ensign

Post by revloren » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I use the APOD desktop background updater to see the the pic, but I have the site bookmarked and usually go there daily to read the explanation and explore the links.

ELAYCA

Post by ELAYCA » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:50 pm

I have APOD as my home page on all of the browsers that I use. It is the best way to start the day with a cup of Java. You guys rock!

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:27 pm

It has been my homepage for many years. No clutter, just a pleasurable opening web experience every day.

I.H.

Post by I.H. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 pm

I chose "Other".

The APOD web page is easy to remember (apod.nasa.gov), and it's in my bookmarks for years.

The great thing about it is that it updates at 7:00 AM in my time zone, so if I can check it right after I wake up. I don't come here from Facebook, Google+ or whatever else. It's just bookmarked and part of my morning routine for a very long time.

Jim Crigler

Post by Jim Crigler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I use Page2RSS to turn the APOD into a feed in Google Reader.

Redknitwitch

Post by Redknitwitch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm

I have a permanent bookmark for the APOD in my firefox bookmark bar. I usually go there three times a week to see what beautiful pictures have been posted... :-)

carterabaker

Post by carterabaker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 pm

I do have APOD as an app on my IPhone...but it the main way I access it is a widget on the dashboard on my computer. I LOVE it there - I look everyday and when one catches me, I use the larger image click thing to go to the site. PLEASE keep it that way...it makes my day
Thanks

veganbpc

Post by veganbpc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 pm

I consume 1 serving of APOD every morning with breakfast as a balanced diet. It is the first thing I do and have for many years. I am always in awe! Thank you!

thschaar

Great Site

Post by thschaar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:39 pm

APOD is my homepage, and my favorite website. Keep up the astonishingly good work.

bigstan

Post by bigstan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:53 pm

I love the iGoogle widget - allowing quick access to the previous day(s) if missed.

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 pm

- favorite list link to APOD

-favorite list link to Starship Asterisk Discuss

johnsodl

Post by johnsodl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I have APOD set as my wallpaper - so it updates every day. Can't wait to log on each day to see the new picture!

Jerel

Post by Jerel » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 pm

APOD has been my home page since I discovered it in 1995 or 1996, shortly after it began. Browsers may come and go, but APOD as my homepage is always the first thing I configure! Thank you for bringing astronomy to our lives every single day. (Well, most days. Not REAL crazy about the non-astronomy stuff that shows up from time to time, but it's worth it to put up with the very few things that are not interesting to me.)

Xanadou

Post by Xanadou » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 pm

A visit to APOD is how I start my day. Every day. Since I had created an account on Pinterest, I augment the daily check-in by visiting earlier postings. One of my Pinterest boards is dedicated to Earth, Space and the Universe to which board I "pin" a fair number of APODs. My purpose is to share the incredible beauty, wonder and magic that is our home, whether Earth, the Milky Way or the Universe. I had stumbled onto APOD some time ago by chance. The site's contents deserve to be known far and wide, better yet, should be visited by everyone at least from time to time. Furthermore, the APOD is a daily reminder how tiny, fragile and unique is our planet and each existence thereon. Perhaps those who view these pictures will see the same and reconsider the pointless pettiness that is the destruction wrought on the planet and the so many destroyed lives.

My own impression: even if what I'm looking at is often a view of massive, even violent, rearrangement of the "furniture" within our Universe, somehow the pictures impart a serenity that subliminally prepare me to be ready for to come what may.

Thanks. Keep it pictures coming!

cmholl

Post by cmholl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am

APOD is the browser home page on every computer I have control over.

rlehl

Post by rlehl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:02 am

I have the page bookmarked so I can go right to it every day. It is a great site. Thanks.

AMG

Post by AMG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 am

Very disappointed with APOD 11th July (Australian time). When has 'happy people dancing on planet Earth' been considered astronomy??

dship14

Post by dship14 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:28 am

Like many others--APOD has been my home page since 1996 for a number of reasons--primarily the subject matter is educational as well as fascinating and/or entertaining (even Matt dancing around the world). Second is because there are no ads being flashed in my face. In my opinion--APOD makes the perfect home page--and my Dad and my brother agree.

freidljane

Post by freidljane » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 am

ditto ditto ditto - APOD is my homepage in my browser so is the first thing I see. I learn a lot and am always awed by the images.

jeffmack
Asternaut

Post by jeffmack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 am

I have the main APOD NASA website bookmarked in my browsers, and I also link directly to it from my personal website. I have visited APOD nearly every single day for many, many years. I love it! Thank you very much for such a beautiful site! :ssmile: