APOD assessment poll #6

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Have you seen the featured APOD image before?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes.
95%
No.
4%
All of the above.
1%

Total votes: 4446

sage

Re: APOD assessment poll #6

Post by sage » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I've seen this image 100s of times and it never gets old :clap:

I think you do a fabulous job. Happy Sunday.

McLae

Post by McLae » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm

I saw the shuttle with Hubble on the pad during my honeymoon in 1990.
Best thing NASA ever did. Even if we had to fix it next year!
Thomas

Ajoy Basu

Post by Ajoy Basu » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I had seen this remarkable image before in APOD. It is worth revisiting.

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm

I have the early picture on a disc of desk top photos for the pc.
I used it for years.
Pete Heimbach

Just Ducky

Post by Just Ducky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Why are they always pointing upward?

Ornithikos

Post by Ornithikos » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:44 pm

The people who answered "All of the above" may
be trying to tell you something. I wonder what?

canesvenatici
Asternaut

Post by canesvenatici » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Wasn't this one of several on US Postage stamps commemorating E. Hubble?
Still a gorgeous image. Seems to me the write-ups are getting better:
this one includes awareness of time and distance, what we see now
may well not be there "now."

deLadyBex

Post by deLadyBex » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Haha it is one of my favorite Cosmos Pictures , and yes many many times, It is even on the front cover of a Bible study book about creation put out by the JW Society. It has such marleouse colrings to it and is worthy of print often. Thanks for having it shwon again! I really enjoy it anytime I see it :D

Jimbo_Jones

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 pm

i had downloaded all apod-images.
And i have seen the featured APOD image as pillarsofcreation_hst, pillars5_hst, pillars4_hst and as pillars3_hst. :o

lycastell@live.com

Post by lycastell@live.com » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, I have seen it b4.
But never tire of looking at gorgeous things. :D

GoodnaturedOne

Post by GoodnaturedOne » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I've seen this one... it's one of the best examples of what the Hubble can take pictures of.

addlepate

Post by addlepate » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Yes, I have seen this marvelous image before. I will gawk at it in awe each time you (or anyone else for that matter) display it.

Unlike many other replies, my response to this image is: Wow~ there certainly IS a God and He has created some fantastically beautiful sights for us to gaze upon in this Universe!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:43 am

Last seen here on 28. March 2010

Mark Scheunemann

Post by Mark Scheunemann » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 am

I have seen various versions of this image though I am unsure if I have seen this version. Always worth another look and I am quite happy to be provided pics from the archive once a week. APOD makes my day.

chad

Post by chad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

It's a classic, but I find it hard to look at. The missing corner drives me crazy. What was more important at the time that they couldn't take the additional exposures to square the image?

persiflo

Post by persiflo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 pm

It is not all about the images. The little annotations that come along with them often allow me to see more into the scenes than I could grasp before, and this ability to understand what the image allows you to see is very precious for me. So I suggest to think about repetitions with explanations also in mind. This post is a great example, as it gives the additional, newer knowledge about the surrounding structure, and explaining why the pillars indeed do have a topside (a question posted earlier in this string).

pequod

Post by pequod » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Definitely a Golden Oldie. Never tire of it.

Reminds me of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey in triplicate.

Side thought: with all of the dust in space, who has the broom? :wink:

jahammer

Post by jahammer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:15 pm

.....I first saw this image 7 or 8 years ago. I was most struck by the contention that while the image projects a semblance of solidity, the actual density of the materials within were stated to be on the order of 1 Tablespoon per Cubic mile! It was the astounding distances that made it seem more dense than it really is.

Lostinspace
Ensign

Post by Lostinspace » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm

I well recall this image. I have seen it at least three times. Also featured on PBS Nova. By the way the one on the left really is a celestial monster. His/her/its face is clearly seen on its right about 1/5 of the way down. (It is preparing to devour the smaller monster on its right. :evil: ) Sorry i don't know how to insert my detail screen shot, even though there is a tab for it above.

whtanthn

Post by whtanthn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:33 pm

This is an incredible photo once seen never forgotton, but I am puzzled why does the second photo from spitzer suggest it may been destroyed by a supernova, and as the pillars are so huge surely the nova would'nt span them all?

cbass945

Post by cbass945 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't always remember what I've seen before, but this is so astoundingly magnificent. I'm delighted to see it again!

eviltwinemma

Post by eviltwinemma » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Seen it many times, not just on APOD - a metal band called Mithras used it as their album cover a few years ago too. It's such a stunning image, though, even more so when you zoom out and realise it's just a tiny bit of a whole nebula and yet it's still so huge that whole stars are growing in there... it's an astronomical icon and a gateway image which helped draw the likes of me to APOD.

iang

Post by iang » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:16 am

I've seen this classic image many times and still find it inspiring. I would encourage APOD to show similarly great images regularly. Not only are they a reminder of why we visit APOD, but individual images are easy to forget over the years, so I welcome the opportunity to see them again. And newcomers to APOD might never have seen them; don't these people deserve to see the best images our collective investment in astronomy has produced as well?

trigonier
Asternaut

Post by trigonier » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 pm

I've seen this so many times! A friend gave my husband and me a night-light with a transparency of the image. He rarely cared for such things, but that one he did like.
When it was first published someone wrote that, if turned, it was "the face of God." I've tried, but I can't see it as a humanlike face at any angle. (Maybe I'm a little slow at pareidolia.) Can someone help?

redsaturn84

Post by redsaturn84 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Yes many times.

U. Arizona student have it on their T-shirts.