APOD assessment poll #7

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

For how long have you been following APOD?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Less than 6 months
5%
Between 6 months and 2 years
9%
Between 2 years and 5 years
19%
Between 5 years and 10 years
35%
Greater than 10 years
31%
What's an APOD?
0%

Total votes: 4208

uberK
Asternaut

Re: APOD assessment poll #7

Post by uberK » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Nearly a daily ritual for such a long time...before web mail..when using the Netscape browser was radical...when there was more than one search engine. I may have been using dial up, but my last mile has always been a step or 2 behind so it's not a time stamp - but you could still use dial up!

I've certainly been following the Hubble and Shuttle programs from their start, and look forward to the James Webb start-up. I've shared it whenever I could. I've sent the Rosetta nebula to a lover, with impressive results. I've made people reflect on themselves and their actions so many times buy simply forwarding a link - most recently the "water ball" photo of May 15th.

I've always appreciated the simple authority of the site, and the follow-on links have been constructive exploration.

Well done.
Last edited by uberK on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angie

Post by Angie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:43 pm

APOD is the main page of my Firefox for more than 10 years

Best regards Angie

art lehrman

Post by art lehrman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Astropix has been part of my daily fix for about ten years, and I've used it to introduce my grandchildren to the wonders of the universe.

Ana

Post by Ana » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Like so many others, APOD is my homepage and my desktop slideshow is comprised of many favorite images. How do we advertize the site? In just the way most of us were introduced; a mention in other forums, a link sent to family and friends, a link or mention in a 'siggie line', etc.. One I love to share is the night shot of Moscow from the ISS. Personal recommendation has always worked best for me.
APOD is a daily joy!

judynorth

Post by judynorth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:35 pm

I look at APOD every morning, which helps me greatly to keep my perspective in the face of Huffington Post and the New York Times.
I must admit, I read the News too, but this site reminds me that I am on a tiny planet off in the hinterlands of an emence and complex
universe, and I should remember to take all the awful and hateful information with a grain of salt.
Thank you so much for your wonderful site. Judy North

cisackson

Post by cisackson » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:40 pm

I check out the APOD site every morning to get inspiration and feel humility in my journey through time and space on Earth.

kreigor426

Post by kreigor426 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 pm

nothing like a good astrophoto to again remind me of just how important i really am... :shock:
kudos to all who help bring this free info site to fruition... :)
"please sir,,, may i have another???" :P

russbrasher

Post by russbrasher » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm

APOD is one of the jewels of the Internet.
Incredible and wonderful that it abides through the years.
Please continue.
Thank you, thank you.

ReaderBea

Post by ReaderBea » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:23 pm

I couldn't start my day without APOD, and I appreciate science and technology behind it.

dengi

Post by dengi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:44 pm

APOD, is the first page I go to every day without fail after my homepage, refdesk, since about 2000.
Thank you for the daily enjoyment of being able to view the beautiful photos and learn more about the universe.
Dennis

bouglaf

Post by bouglaf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Any APOD enthusiast must know about Chris Peat's astonishing http://www.heavens-above.com/. I meant to plug it, should doing so be necessary, on my earlier post, but forgot. DNH.

LocalColor
Science Officer

Post by LocalColor » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Have bee viewing APOD daily since we first got hooked up to the internet in 2004. Well, except for a couple of months in 2007 - big forest fire burned down the power lines so we didn't have electricity for a couple of months. Have been linking to the photo of the day in our village e-newsletter for the last 3+ years.

6thmoonofpluto
Asternaut

Post by 6thmoonofpluto » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:56 pm

A quick check showed that I discovered APOD some time on or before 10 May 2004. I have been hooked ever since. Easily the best 'POD' out there. Keep up the good work guys!

Scot from Wisconsin

Post by Scot from Wisconsin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:58 pm

I have APOD bookmarked, I visit regularly and have recommended it to several other people. Obviously I think APOD is a wonderful resource; thank you so much for all of your efforts.

Tigis
Asternaut

Post by Tigis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:27 pm

I have visited APOD daily for almost two years, that is since my astronomy teacher told us on the very first lesson that we should definitely check it. I no longer study astronomy :cry: but still APOD is one of the first sites I check every morning.

dcd

Post by dcd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I learned about APOD only in this past year. What I've been missing! Thank you!

n3mle@comcast.net

Post by n3mle@comcast.net » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:52 pm

What a magnificant look into the wonders of creation. There aren't many things that amaze this old fellow any more, but your daily submissions do! Thanks and keep it up.

trigonier
Asternaut

Post by trigonier » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I can't remember when I first made APOD part of my daily routine. I'm a science fan, as others are sports or theater fans. Another site I visit regularly is the live camera on the Mount Wilson solar tower -- I live high up in the foothills west of Pasadena, so my home's view is in part of the same weather system as the observatory's.
I love following the links in the day's description. I can get lost going from one page to another, forgetting whatever I was supposed to get done. It's like the way I used to read the encyclopedia in grade school, whenever I could get away with it.

David Barrett

Post by David Barrett » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 pm

The "Astronomy Picture of Day" has been my "homepage" since approximately 2004, and so I read it every day and put some of the most interesting pictures on my "Facebook" page.

Canadian Grandma

Post by Canadian Grandma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 pm

I made APOD my homepage a bit over 6 months ago, & enjoy trying to learn something new each day--even though much of it is way over my head. And some days I just sit & thrill at looking at beauty I would otherwise never see. I usually try to follow the underlined words to other pages. (Is that what is called a "thread"?) Unfortunately I can't watch videos because I am on very slow dial-up with a very old, slow computer. But I thank you for the pleasure I get from your page.

genemichael

Post by genemichael » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Years ago - at least 10 - I set up a program to pull the APOD into my Mac and make it the daily wallpaper. It is such a nice way to greet the day!

Choestoe

Post by Choestoe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:47 pm

APOD has been my homepage on all my computers for more than 10 years - I've never been dissappointed, and are usually fascinated with your photos and videos. Keep up the good work!!

Galaxian
Ensign

Post by Galaxian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Canadian Grandma wrote:I made APOD my homepage a bit over 6 months ago, & enjoy trying to learn something new each day--even though much of it is way over my head. And some days I just sit & thrill at looking at beauty I would otherwise never see. I usually try to follow the underlined words to other pages. (Is that what is called a "thread"?) Unfortunately I can't watch videos because I am on very slow dial-up with a very old, slow computer. But I thank you for the pleasure I get from your page.
Dear lady, sorry but no, those underlined things are usually called "links" as they link the page they are typed into to other pages on the Web. That is the very essence of Hypertext. Everything on the web should link to lots of other things and other things should link to everything. When yo use your mouse to move your on-screen cursor to a link, an URL should show up in your browser. URL= Universal Resource Locator , a type of human-readable postal address for pages on the Web.
A "thread^ is what I am doing with your good self, I am having a sort of very slow and extremely public conversation. The linked message you sent, my message in reply, any response to my reply and responses to that are a thread in the longer
conversation about the poll #7. Other people are talking to each other in other threads of the conversation. And, of course, there are other conversations in Asterisk.
Oh, and I'm very silly and I call them "linkies".
Hth, G.

Granny at 81

Post by Granny at 81 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 pm

:roll:Enjoy the pictures so much and share them with my 8 year old grandson with as simple an explanation as possible . One never knows when it might spark a memory--- in the future. Thank you .

TerribleTadpole

Post by TerribleTadpole » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm

I discovered it in 1998. There has never been a month in that time when I haven't visited at least once. And the times I have missed it have always been due to travel commitments or similar. Whenever I get back, it's always with a sense of relief and excitement as I go back over the days to catch up on the things I've been missing.

It is my #1 favourite site.