APOD: The First Color Panorama from Mars... (2012 Aug 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The First Color Panorama from Mars... (2012 Aug 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:06 am

Image The First Color Panorama from Mars by Curiosity

Explanation: You've just landed on Mars and opened your eyes -- what do you see? If you're the Curiosity rover, you see a strange gravelly place with a large mountain in the distance. You've landed on target near the edge of 150-km wide Gale Crater, with Mount Sharp on the horizon being the rise in the crater's center. As a car-sized rover with six wheels and a laser, you prepare yourself to go on a two-year mission of exploration, climbing Mt. Sharp, and looking for signs that Mars once harbored life. Currently you sit motionless, check yourself over, and receive a detailed briefing from Earth on things you will need to know while rolling around, trying to avoid flipping over or getting your wheels stuck in sand. Your rolling explorations will likely start in a few days. What will you find? What's out there?

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: The First Color Panorama from Mars... (2012 Aug 11

Post by Beyond » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 am

8-) No, 8-) 8-)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

abhagwat
Ensign

Post by abhagwat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:43 am

The 'check yourself over' link on this APOD is showing a cat's photograph. Please correct the link. Thank you.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:44 am

well, you will certainly find a lot of gravel from past MARS windstorms. It is after all a giant depression. Fantastic landing and will this method be the standard for the next landings ??
Wolf Kotenberg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 am

abhagwat wrote:The 'check yourself over' link on this APOD is showing a cat's photograph. Please correct the link. Thank you.
I think that was quite intentional. It's an example of the humor often found in some of the links of the APODs. The cat in today's link is certainly checking itself over. I, for one, like the cat! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

TimR

Post by TimR » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 am

Question - how did the joystick in the left/black section and the "desk" in the right black section get into this picture? Of course, it must mean that the whole thing was staged on a movie sound-stage, but I thought that they would have been more careful before releasing doctored photo :lol2:

Seriously though - didn't this come from a digital image - or was someone photographing this off of a monitor somewhere?

RebellionAlpha
Asternaut

Post by RebellionAlpha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:38 am

srsly, trolls are everywhere, I can`t see the "desk" or the "joystick" in the left black section ... -.-
nice picture!
I would love to be there, awaiting more pictures ;)

mtbdudex
Ensign

Post by mtbdudex » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 am

Way cool, looking forward to discoveries.

My only gripe about the photo is it showed too much foreground and not enough sky, I hope newer ones take and stitch in sky shots, the rule of 1/3's applies for these as well.
Mike R, P.E. .....iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 11-16 / 15-85 / f1.4 50
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head / iOptron EQ tracker
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html

rjgjr

Post by rjgjr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:56 am

Wow ! Golly !! Gee wiz !!!

garym

Post by garym » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Why is the image of the rover blocked?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:49 pm

garym wrote:Why is the image of the rover blocked?
How often are you in pictures you take of a landscape when you're holding the camera?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a great, great APOD, image, text, and links.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Number FIVE is ALIVE!!! :D

Nice Picture...magnification is good...

:---[===] *

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Very very cool…
opening the “eyes” and checking things out…
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:07 pm

mtbdudex wrote:
My only gripe about the photo is it showed too much foreground and not enough sky,
I hope newer ones take and stitch in sky shots, the rule of 1/3's applies for these as well.
Try: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-bl ... avcam.html
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm

mtbdudex wrote:My only gripe about the photo is it showed too much foreground and not enough sky, I hope newer ones take and stitch in sky shots, the rule of 1/3's applies for these as well.
That's quite deliberate, and was explained in a news conference a couple of days ago. They have three rows of photos they can take for these panoramas, and for this first one (and the B&W one which preceded it) they decided to take just the lower and middle rows. At this point the sky is of little interest. They really want to see how the MSL and the landscape around it looks. Later panoramas will be taken with all three rows in use. Patience grasshopper!

Rob

drollere
Ensign

Post by drollere » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

i know this place! it's in west texas!

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Was the black layer at the base of Mt. Sharp, which I've never before seen, formed by a lava flow?
I did not know that Curiosity will spend its entire mission inside Gale. Was kinda hoping it might meander on over to Spirit, dust it off, maybe charge the battery, and give it a boost out of the sand trap. Here's hoping Curiosity's firmware contains instructions on how to avoid getting stuck in a bunker.

[We have more than enough sky shots from Opportunity. The interesting stuff is in the ground.]

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:46 pm

mtbdudex wrote:My only gripe about the photo is it showed too much foreground and not enough sky, I hope newer ones take and stitch in sky shots, the rule of 1/3's applies for these as well.
Every pixel that shows sky is a pixel with little or no scientific value, but which costs resources: time, energy, bandwidth, processing, and ultimately money. I have no doubt that the mission planners are as interested as the rest of us in the occasional aesthetic image, but that's the end of it. I don't think anybody is worrying much about photographic composition rules in the majority of images to be collected.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

skildude

Post by skildude » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Anyone notice the 2 large spot that appear to be cleared of debris. Did the rockets do that?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

TimR wrote:Question - how did the joystick in the left/black section and the "desk" in the right black section get into this picture? Of course, it must mean that the whole thing was staged on a movie sound-stage, but I thought that they would have been more careful before releasing doctored photo :lol2:

Seriously though - didn't this come from a digital image - or was someone photographing this off of a monitor somewhere?
The "Joy stick" (visible in the lower left corner of the initial APOD image) in the left side right black area below the "Top of the Mast" appears to be a ghost of This Image
As for the "Desk" on the right side???

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:05 pm

skildude wrote:Anyone notice the 2 large spot that appear to be cleared of debris. Did the rockets do that?
Yes. There are 2 on the left side of the image and 2 on the right side. These were caused by the "Sky Crane" thrusters

TimR

Post by TimR » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:16 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
TimR wrote:Question - how did the joystick in the left/black section and the "desk" in the right black section get into this picture? Of course, it must mean that the whole thing was staged on a movie sound-stage, but I thought that they would have been more careful before releasing doctored photo :lol2:

The "Joy stick" (visible in the lower left corner of the initial APOD image) in the left side right black area below the "Top of the Mast" appears to be a ghost of This Image
As for the "Desk" on the right side???
YES - that is it. What I called the "Desk" is really the "left side" of the picture you showed. So on the LEFT BLACK space of the MARS image is the RIGHT SIDE of the picture you showed. And on the RIGHT SIDE space of the MARS image is the LEFT SIDE of the picture you showed. Looks like that one image was ghosted in the overall MARS image, and then split in the fashion we are seeing. My question is - how was this "ghost" accomplished...and why? I assumed that the BLACK spots in the image were null data - areas in the picture with nothing from Mars. Seeing this GHOST of an image just throws things off.....I'm surprised that the editors of this image kept that in....

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

TimR wrote:YES - that is it. What I called the "Desk" is really the "left side" of the picture you showed. So on the LEFT BLACK space of the MARS image is the RIGHT SIDE of the picture you showed. And on the RIGHT SIDE space of the MARS image is the LEFT SIDE of the picture you showed. Looks like that one image was ghosted in the overall MARS image, and then split in the fashion we are seeing. My question is - how was this "ghost" accomplished...and why? I assumed that the BLACK spots in the image were null data - areas in the picture with nothing from Mars. Seeing this GHOST of an image just throws things off.....I'm surprised that the editors of this image kept that in....
Probably just residue of the alignment process, since the left and right sides of the image are actually adjacent (and at the range of things on the rover, might be overlapping). My guess is that they simply didn't notice the residual image. Its brightest pixels are only a few counts above zero, which means that on a properly calibrated monitor, they aren't even visible unless you're working in the dark. If you're seeing the ghost well enough that it interferes with your viewing, I think your monitor needs calibration. It's also possible to see things wrong if you're using an older Mac OS (pre Snow Leopard), which didn't handle color very well with an image like this that has an undefined color space.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Meh!

Tell me this is not the best image this lander can produce!!

Not long ago I went outside with my circa 2007 digital camera and lens combination that together cost me about $1,500 retail, and with Photoshop on my PC made a 17566 x 4049 pixel panorama of the view of my entire front yard in which I can see individual blades of grass in crisp detail, and with no stitching remnants - and nothing much looks distorted.

This rover ought to be making images as much better than that as the Hubble makes images better than my Meade telescope!

Images from Curiousity should make us feel like we're practically standing there, shivering in the cold, thin air.

In this day and age frankly this is incredibly disappointing.

-Noel

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

:roll:
A closed mouth gathers no foot.