Facebook
1%
Phone App
0%
Blog link
5%
Justin Bieber concert
1%
Other (explain below, if you would like)
20%

Total votes: 1772

guestM

Re: APOD assessment poll #8

Post by guestM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 am

Found APOD through joining my local Astro Society. MJH

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 am

I read about it in a Wall Street Journal article and have been hooked ever since.

AustinMN

Post by AustinMN » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 am

I honestly don't remember. I have been using APOD since very early in its existence, and can remember the one-year anniversary post on the day it was released. How impressed I was by those images, considered rather small by today's standards.

oldtex85

Post by oldtex85 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 am

I have followed APOD since it's inception. Seen almost every picture. What an astronomy education it has provided ! Sold my telescope & just checked out APOD for my continuing education. Don't EVER even think of changing the format !

Adolfo Dominguez

Post by Adolfo Dominguez » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:19 am

RJN wrote:Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the answer that best reflects how you first heard about APOD. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!
I was looking information in Google about Orion Constallation. First I got observatorio.info site and then found out it was a Spanish translation from APOD. Since then, I became an APOD fan. I feel bad when I cannot get APOD and observatorio.info

lazy-k
Asternaut

Post by lazy-k » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 am

I learned about APOD through a note in the monthly magazine of the German Aerospace Establishment DLR in the year 2010.

InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 am

Justin Beber? As Bill the Cat says: Ack! Ack! Hairball!

I stumbled on APOD a long time ago but how I got there is lost in the sands of time. It's been a wonderful journey ever since. I regret that some of the early links are now broken in the archive.

Thank you Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell. A wonderful way to spend 15 minutes a day/30 minutes/60 minutes/it's 3am? What?

scottm52

Post by scottm52 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:21 am

Mayanmajix Web page posted a link to a cool picture on a NASA site called APOD.

PBradac
Asternaut

Post by PBradac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:57 am

Just by accident

smokinxp

Post by smokinxp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 am

I have visitied every APOD page since the dawn of time, love it and all the pretty pictures, would be nice to have an option to add a comment to pictures specially those that pose a question.
I use to do amatuer astronomy in my backyard with a decent teleskope and would download star maps showing exacpt positions of stars on a given night and there was a link to APOD from that site.
Love it, and remember, as Bill and Ted's once said be excellent to one another and..... Party on Dudes!!!!

smokinxp

Post by smokinxp » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 am

InvisibleMan wrote:Justin Beber? As Bill the Cat says: Ack! Ack! Hairball!

I stumbled on APOD a long time ago but how I got there is lost in the sands of time. It's been a wonderful journey ever since. I regret that some of the early links are now broken in the archive.

Thank you Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell. A wonderful way to spend 15 minutes a day/30 minutes/60 minutes/it's 3am? What?
I luckily took a site snapshot of the APOD complete so have all the pictures and webpages back to the first one and it all links to stuff on my computer, very handy for such situations.

TATWORTH

Post by TATWORTH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

I saw the picture like the one at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0411/ng ... st_big.jpg - was impressed and continued to look. (It may well have been some years prior to 2004)

KenB

Post by KenB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 am

Found you light years ago------great pictures!

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 am

smokinxp wrote:I have visitied every APOD page since the dawn of time, love it and all the pretty pictures, would be nice to have an option to add a comment to pictures specially those that pose a question.
If you click on the "Discuss" link at the bottom of every APOD, you can.
smokinxp wrote:I luckily took a site snapshot of the APOD complete so have all the pictures and webpages back to the first one and it all links to stuff on my computer, very handy for such situations.
All APODs are archived and available for viewing by clicking the "Archive" link at the bottom of the APOD page.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

NightStar

Post by NightStar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm

I've been visiting for years, can't quite remember... as someone else posted, I think it was an Altavista search!

CDREUT
Asternaut
AKA: Carl

Post by CDREUT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm

In a Scientific American article, I believe, in the late 1990s. Been a long time and APOD's been my home page ever since!

EDIT: I forgot to note that for years I've kept a file (currently at 1.24 GB) of my favorite APODs categorized in folders: "Spectacular Images" (Terrestrial and Celestial), "3-D Images," "Xtra huge and s-l-o-w," and "APOD Outtakes." I use APOD Spectacular Images for my screen saver, which has garnered many compliments over the years.

billMe
Ensign

Post by billMe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:55 pm

In May 1995 i was searching for astronomy pictures on one of the Lycos search engines. Google wasn't there yet. It was Lycos or AltaVista that were my main engines, well them and gophers.

NPS guy

Post by NPS guy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm

I first saw a photo of Death Valley NP that was also posted to APOD. I followed the trail and I am very happy I did great site

char6316

Post by char6316 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Unemployed for the first time in my life, spent many hours at the library looking for work and searching the internet for cloud formations and other sky related things. Didn't find a job, but got one heck of an education about the universe we live in.

Stavros Vyk

Post by Stavros Vyk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I discovered APOD in 1995 and have visited every single day since. I don't remember how I first came across APOD. Everything about this site is just as it should be. OMIGODJUSTINBIEBER!!! Sorry. Anyway... I regard APOD is a coherent oasis of gentle sanity in the face of the howling and infinite Void. Thank you very much for its continued existence.

Pif

Post by Pif » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:58 pm

It was a very very long time ago (last century as one previous poster noted). I keep forgetting about it then reading an article about Mars or Hubble and looking it up again for a browse through the most recent AMAZING pictures.

Stavros Vyk

Post by Stavros Vyk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

KenB wrote:Found you light years ago------great pictures!
hahaha! Light years as a measurement of time! awesome! :lol2:

jbendler1@wi.rr.com

Post by jbendler1@wi.rr.com » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 pm

W8LQ wrote:My son got me hooked on APOD when I was still using WIN95 on dial-up. Been checking every night since!
Thanks for a great web site.
Me too -- he was a physics & astronomy major.

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I frankly don't remember how I heard about APOD. In the Fall of 1995 I received a grant to put computers in my physics classroom. After finding APOD I began to go there to begin each class. There was always something physics related. Glad you guys came on the scene!

Dr. Wackadoodle

Post by Dr. Wackadoodle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I have been using Refdesk for my homepage ever since I got my first PC in 1998. APOD is a prominent link (and my very favorite) out of hundreds of links on this extremely useful site.
Last edited by bystander on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link