No.
13%
Art who?
6%

Total votes: 1172

pws

Re: Informal Poll for the 2012 September 18 APOD

Post by pws » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 pm

It's a clear recording of a particular moment in science, but in a gallery of portraits it would have something to add. It's art.

ritwik
Science Officer

Post by ritwik » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 pm

i think art is a mundane concept :| is there any extra feelings ( An internal state of arousal ) one could get beyond our pale blue dot :?: (extraterrestrial feelings)

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Art is completed by its audience.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Oats

Post by Oats » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:26 pm

No matter how far we venture into space we always find ourselves looking back. The harsh void of outer space is clearly contrasted with the inviting and familiar home of our species. Our planet is as unique in the cosmos as the face of one man (or woman) amongst billions.

These 3 concepts and many more are expressed by this photo wether the astronaut intended them to be or not.

As for if this is art or not, this is a gorgeous photo and those inclined to find meaning will.

WitnessFTP

Post by WitnessFTP » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Its art pure and simple by any definition you wish.
Here are two:
1) He is trying to elicit an emotional response.
I have never heard of any astronaut/cosmonaut that hasn't been emotionally impacted at seeing the Earth from orbit. He is recording such a scene for us.
2) He is showing "the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of an aesthetic object".
IMHO, this picture is not merely a snapshot of a moment haphazardly taken, this photograph was deliberately composed. Aki is trying to make a statement.
Did you notice that the Sun, Aki, Earth, and ISS are perfectly aligned? He got all of them in the picture. Just a couple of degrees left or right would have ruined the alignment.
Did you notice that Aki was facing the Earth, "looking home" as it were?
Did you notice that the Earth/ISS take the place of Aki's head, as if the Earth were inside the space-suit? "Self-portrait" of Earth/humanity perhaps?
Even if this was not a deliberately composed photograph but rather a fortuitous alignment, it would still be art. Many "accidents" or "photographs of the moment" have turned into great art - Examples are the Flag raising on Iwo Jima and the Apollo 8 - Earth Rise. Both examples are very powerful photographs and have spawned paintings and scultpures. If the painting/scultpures are deemed art, why not the originals?

WitnessFTP

Post by WitnessFTP » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm

SRF wrote:I said No because although it's a quality photo and beautifully composed, its purpose is to record, not to express.
All art is merely a "recording" of an event, real or imagined. For example, a portrait is recording the event of someone sitting before the artist. Oh, but wait, you say the artist positions the subjects? True, that is part of the composition of the picture. You admit that Aki "beautifully composed" this picture. Composition, by definition is expressive; the act or process of composing; specifically : arrangement into specific proportion or relation and especially into artistic form. How is this expressive? The words arrangement, specific proportion or relation are subjective, so it is the composer's own expressive sense of arrangement or proportion or relation. He was definitely and deliberately trying to express himself (see my other post on this).

So, why is this not art?

RONAVOIG

Post by RONAVOIG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm

I voted no but if art could be defined as any creation that evoked an emotional response, then I suspect I should have reconsidered. In years to come looking at this photo, at least, the astronaut will surely have that.

tamarshall
Asternaut

Post by tamarshall » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Of course, it depends on how one defines art. Since I have a very broad definition of art, anything that is beautiful and inspiring, I have no problem calling this art. In fact, I find art in nature; art is a human perspective on something perceived and is not necessarily something created by humans -------------- that's my bias

ronavoig

Post by ronavoig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Art or not, the photographer does live up to the shortened version of his name. Googling Aki \a-ki\ as a (girls) name is pronounced AH-kee. It is of Japanese origin, and the meaning of Aki is "autumn; bright; glistening". I am curious if the sun does look like this from orbit or if it an effect from the photograph? Ron

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-32/html/iss032e025258.html wrote:
<<ISS032-E-025258 (5 Sept. 2012) --- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency astronaut Aki Hoshide and NASA astronaut Sunita Williams (visible in the reflections of Hoshide's helmet visor), flight engineer, completed the installation of a Main Bus Switching Unit (MBSU) that was hampered last week by a possible misalignment and damaged threads where a bolt must be placed. They also installed a camera on the International Space Station's robotic arm, Canadarm2.>>
-------------------------------------------
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Aristocracy, n.[Gr. ; best + to be strong, to rule, strength; is perh. from the same root as E. arm, and orig. meant fitting]
Art, n. [F. art, L. ars, artis, orig., skill in joining or fitting; prob. akin to E. arm, aristocrat.]

1. The employment of means to accomplish some desired end; the adaptation of things in the natural world to the uses of life; the application of knowledge or power to practical purposes.

Blest with each grace of nature and of art. Pope.

2. A system of rules serving to facilitate the performance of certain actions; a system of principles and rules for attaining a desired end; method of doing well some special work; -- often contradistinguished from science or speculative principles; as, the art of building or engraving; the art of war; the art of navigation.

Science is systematized knowledge . . . Art is knowledge made efficient by skill. J. F. Genung.

3. The systematic application of knowledge or skill in effecting a desired result. Also, an occupation or business requiring such knowledge or skill.

The fishermen can't employ their art with so much success in so troubled a sea. Addison.

4. The application of skill to the production of the beautiful by imitation or design, or an occupation in which skill is so employed, as in painting and sculpture; one of the fine arts; as, he prefers art to literature.

5. pl. Those branches of learning which are taught in the academical course of colleges; as, master of arts.

In fearless youth we tempt the heights of arts. Pope.

6. Learning; study; applied knowledge, science, or letters. [Archaic]

So vast is art, so narrow human wit. Pope.

7. Skill, dexterity, or the power of performing certain actions, asquired by experience, study, or observation; knack; a, a man has the art of managing his business to advantage.

8. Skillful plan; device.

They employed every art to soothe . . . the discontented warriors. Macaulay.

9. Cunning; artifice; craft.

Madam, I swear I use no art at all. Shak.
--------------------------------------------
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1828)

Art: The second person, indicative mode, present tense, of the substantive verb am.
----------------------------------------------------

"So vast is Art, so narrow human wit"
Wherefore Art Neuendorffer :?:

agcogal
Asternaut

Post by agcogal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Art is the other astronaut in the picture.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:40 pm

neufer wrote:
"So vast is Art, so narrow human wit"
Wherefore Art Neuendorffer :?:
Wherefore Art Neuendorffer?? Constrained... Oh, So Constrained.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Many are the ingredients that make a work art. Unknown to most, others simply do not understand them. Yes I think one is necessary: unlike science, this work must be unrepeatable.
Muchos son los ingredientes que convierten a una obra en arte. Desconozco la mayoría; otros, símplemente, no los comprendo. Sí creo que uno es necesario: al contrario que en ciencia, esa obra ha de ser irrepetible.

Eden
Asternaut

Post by Eden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 am

How do top that self-portrait?!? Cut your ear off?? Yeah, that's Art!

Jo Jo

Post by Jo Jo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:48 am

Of course

Life is art

What is the red dotted relection to the left?

Moonlady
Selenian

Post by Moonlady » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 am

Beyond wrote:I never quite realized that the earth was in the reflection also. But Art has just shown through it. So i voted yes. That's Art.
Yes, now I see that too and that's Art :D

darkstormcloud9

Post by darkstormcloud9 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 pm

If the photograph was indeed taken above the Earth's atmosphere, where are the stars?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 pm

darkstormcloud9 wrote:
If the photograph was indeed taken above the Earth's atmosphere, where are the stars?
  • The sun is a star.
Art Neuendorffer

bobb

Post by bobb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 am

Some insight from Pablo Picasso on Art/Science

"Some critics saw Analytic Cubism as an artistic counterpart to Einstein’s theory of relativity. The real world is not as it appears to the naïve eye. The permanent laws of Newtonian physics do not reflect the world as it really is. In fact, in the atomic substrata, all is relative.

Picasso rejected such a "scientific" understanding of his purpose. Analytic Cubism was not an experimental means to discover the truth in the world as it "really" is. A cubist painting is not some allegedly "truer" understanding of the world. Rather, as Picasso put it in 1923: "We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth. At least the truth that is given us to understand."

Borc

Post by Borc » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:24 am

SRF wrote:I said No because although it's a quality photo and beautifully composed, its purpose is to record, not to express.
Was it? Who says he didn't specifically take it cause he thought it would be absolutely amazing?
People who suggest photos can't be art are just self absorbed. ;P
I'd ask "why is it not art?"

Tilt
Ensign

Post by Tilt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:16 pm

"Eye of the beholder" — period.

Sorry, but all else is pure gasbaggery.

Toodles –

Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:17 am

M. C. Escher would be proud of this.

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Art is anything that people call art. Dino Formaggio.