The three items that smartphone science needs to proceed

Research the universe. Expand humanity's knowledge.
RJN
Baffled Boffin

The three items that smartphone science needs to proceed

Post by RJN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:59 pm

It seems to me that for smartphone science to proceed, it needs (at least) three basic items to be in place. The first is clear scientific questions that practical smartphone sensor data can uniquely address. The second is a basic app that simply records the raw data that smartphone sensors generate, for example in an ASCII file, and allows the smartphone user to send out this data, for example by email. The third is organization so that professional and citizen scientists can meet and share this data in a scientifically useful manner.

I am trying to collect the first -- scientific questions -- but am frequently surprised by new and interesting examples, particularly outside my usual interests. I have also been surprised that science questions that I thought would be usefully addressable by smartphones are, well, not scientifically interesting or not practically addressable. For the second -- data taking and sending -- there currently are a few apps already available that record SOME basic raw smartphone sensor data, but few of these also allow the transmission of this data. This is one thing my group has been working on (and can use help!), but it is tougher than it might seem. I am not sure how to create the third -- organization -- but possibly once the first two are sufficiently addressed, existing resources can be leveraged (eg APOD to promote projects, Asterisk to provide communication) to start.

- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: The three items that smartphone science needs to proceed

Post by geckzilla » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

I am interested in this but don't have any meaningful way to contribute other than to say that if you made an iOS app that I'd try to help by putting it on my iPad and Pat's iPhone if he didn't mind. App development, other than GUI design and other graphics, is beyond my realm of expertise.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Relevant: "The iPhone 5S Motion Sensors Are Totally Screwed Up"
http://gizmodo.com/the-iphone-5s-motion ... tsongordon
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't get what is this about at all. The only scientific thing we, the programmers, care about is sensor fusion research, because using individual sensors you end up with craр for data. And we prefer having nice API layer isolating us from differential equations and kalman filters of any kind.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Just one paper on subject to give you idea: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-696.pdf scroll to page 26 for pics.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Here is some smartphone science done right:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 am

Wow, makc, that was pretty good! But too expensive for me, as i have a dumb phone and can't afford a smart one.:)))
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.