APOD's 2014 calendar is now available

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD's 2014 calendar is now available

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am

The files are not identical, just nearly so. The difference between them is the orientation of the moon phase icons for first and last quarter.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 pm

George Kebbard wrote:Please CORRECT the PDF file for the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE link which unfortunately points to an IDENTICAL file as the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE link. You have TWO different links, but the FILE at both is identical. Thanks so much for the spectacular images and overall format of the calendar !!!
I just checked and it is correct. The southern hemisphere calendar is supposed to be identical with the exception of first and third quarter moon phases.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

jetideman@yahoo.com

Post by jetideman@yahoo.com » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Thank you, Starship.
The large photos are printed grandly! The images in the day-squares are too pale to be identified (same paper, same printer and settings). I have an excellent printer and the large images are perfect. How can I make the many and wonderful day-square images more visible, let's say 50%? I want to see all of the wonderful photography. Please help.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:59 pm

The daily images are designed to be pale; many people want to be able to write on the calendar. Except for part of November and all of December, the 2013 APODs for the date on which they appear. The images for most of November and all of December are the 2012 APODs for those dates. All the images are clickable; when you are viewing the PDF, just click on any image to go to the APOD page for that image.

Guest2

Post by Guest2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd like this calendar, but in Poland in all calendars we have Monday as a first day of the week (all countries in Europe) -not Sunday like in US/Canada calendars.
Can you make European version of Northern Calendar with Monday as a first day of the week??? Please!!!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Guest2 wrote:I'd like this calendar, but in Poland in all calendars we have Monday as a first day of the week (all countries in Europe) -not Sunday like in US/Canada calendars.
Can you make European version of Northern Calendar with Monday as a first day of the week??? Please!!!
Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. :(

tratama

Post by tratama » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:13 pm

i'm in equator. which one should i download?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Either one. You just turn it sideways in the appropriate direction. :D

goatrider
Asternaut

Post by goatrider » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Guest2 wrote:I'd like this calendar, but in Poland in all calendars we have Monday as a first day of the week (all countries in Europe) -not Sunday like in US/Canada calendars.
I'm in the US, and I prefer my calendars that way.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:39 am

Hi,
How about versions that print correctly on A4 paper? Everyone outside of the US uses it! In the mediaeval system, A4 is 8.27 × 11.69 inches.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Russell wrote:Hi,
How about versions that print correctly on A4 paper? Everyone outside of the US uses it! In the mediaeval system, A4 is 8.27 × 11.69 inches.
A and A4 paper sizes are close enough that the calendar should look fine on the latter. You need to tell your PDF viewer to resize the pages to fit the selected stock. You'll just have a bit wider spacing along the edges.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 pm

George Kebbard wrote:Please CORRECT the PDF file for the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE link which unfortunately points to an IDENTICAL file as the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE link. You have TWO different links, but the FILE at both is identical.
Methinks you viewed the page without logging into your account. Anonymous guests are assigned a SID via javascript as a feature of phpBB. The URI to which you refer, and each link on the site, has the same SID assigned on the first page you visited. For example, here are a couple of links generated when I first visited the page as an anonymous guest:

href="./viewtopic.php?p=213960&sid=eabac2de79a16c49c83d4384d909d8d2#p213960"
href="./posting.php?mode=quote&f=28&p=213970&sid=eabac2de79a16c49c83d4384d909d8d2"
href="./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&=141578&sid=eabac2de79a16c49c83d4384d909d8d2"

The calendar links:
<a class="postlink" href="./download/file.php?id=11367&sid=eabac2de79a16c49c83d4384d909d8d2">APOD_Calendar_2014_Northern.pdf</a>
<a class="postlink" href="./download/file.php?id=11368&sid=eabac2de79a16c49c83d4384d909d8d2">APOD_Calendar_2014_Southern.pdf</a>

North is id=11367; South is id=11368. The SID option fields are all identical; once I logged in, no more SID.
[I apologize if this comes across a bit pedantic, but I understand why the calendar URIs appeared (nearly) identical and just wanted to leave this explanation for future reference. I, too, was about to post the same message, but I checked the html source code first. Now, where'd I put that phpBB manual....]

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:06 pm

The SID (Session ID) has nothing to do with it. The only number that counts in this case is "id" which represents the file's id. 11367 and 11368 reference the two different files appropriately. George most likely was simply confused and didn't realize the only difference was with the moon phases.

Edit: Actually, I seem to be confused, too. You pretty much posted the same thing I just did but with different words. Words which were confusing. Words are confusing. English is hard.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Yeah, inglish was my worst subjeck in scool.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

charlieo3
Ensign

Post by charlieo3 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm

An empyreal job!! (I wanted to use an adjective not already used. 'Stellar' came to mind, but thought that too mundane. :? )
I downloaded the preview file to the desktop and keep it there where it is available at a click any time.
Also, as already noted, click on the date and you bring up last year's APOD for that date - a great feature.
Many Thanks

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:33 am

charlieo3, on behalf of the team, thank you for your kind words!

shadow9880

Post by shadow9880 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Absolutely AWESOME!!!!!

gcal

Post by gcal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Fantastic work! Thanks so much for this great product.

I was among those who liked last year's calendar, and provided a few "wish list" suggestions on this forum. I'm so impressed that you took all the input (not just from me, but many others), to make this year's wonderful calendar. I can see that a lot of work went into this project, and you deserve to be proud of it.

And, if anyone wants to start tracking votes, I liked the large number version.

quixote

Post by quixote » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The Starship crew is a real service to humanity. (I mean it. This is how I felt during the shutdown: my small loss.)

Apodder

Post by Apodder » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Thank-you for for the first-rate artwork in the calendar. It prints fairly well on A4 sheets. The international standard A4 size for the original would make it even better!

One question, however: What is '24-lb' paper? It means nothing to me, or to the local supplier. Or are you using some odd U.S. description for the style or finish for the stock? Thanks again.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Apodder wrote:Thank-you for for the first-rate artwork in the calendar. It prints fairly well on A4 sheets. The international standard A4 size for the original would make it even better!

One question, however: What is '24-lb' paper? It means nothing to me, or to the local supplier. Or are you using some odd U.S. description for the style or finish for the stock? Thanks again.
It's a conceptually reasonable, practically screwed up system of specifying paper density. 24-lb paper is the weight of nice stationery. It's pretty commonly found in copiers (as is the slightly lighter 20-lb stock). IMO either is a little light for a calendar. I'd use a minimum of 32-lb, which is common for brochures, up to one of the cardstock weights.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 pm

It's funny how we tried to make the calendar international by using UTC dates and no holidays but we couldn't seem to get away from using pounds or inches. Next time I'll use golden rectangles and the instructions will simply state "good paper" ;)

Apoduser

Post by Apoduser » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks, Chris. So 100gsm to 120gsm paper should be about right then! :wink:

It's odd that scientists throughout the world use mixtures of both S.I. and Imperial units. One day, everyone might be using the same measurements. S.I. is so much simpler, and directly meaningful, because of the way in which it is designed.

I forgot to mention that the version of the calendar with the larger front for dates is a big improvement. And I like the background images.

It's a bit early, but all the best for 2014.

Richard.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Apoduser wrote:Thanks, Chris. So 100gsm to 120gsm paper should be about right then!
Here in Canada we're stuck conceptually in mid-Atlantic, so our printer-paper wrappers show both measuring systems. My package of 24 lb paper also describes itself as 90 g/m2.

Rob

bunnyystar

Post by bunnyystar » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks, APOD for creating this calendar! It's the first year I'm aware that this exists, even though APOD has been my home page for years. Oops.