APOD: Rocket Streak and Star Trails (2014 Jan 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: Rocket Streak and Star Trails (2014 Jan 30)

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Rob ME wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Rob ME wrote:There two other lines of light which I didn't see referenced. They are both linear, which is interesting as the other light trails are curved, and seem to converge at a point directly above and halfway up the rocket's trajectory. Because they are straight, they have to be stationary with respect to the camera position. In short, what are they? Any thoughts? I am missing the obvious?
Those are the airplane tracks under previous discussion. Not sure why you think then represent stationary objects. If that were the case, they'd be seen as points.
Chris, Those are not airplane traces, they can't be. 1st of all, the photo-compilation took place over 3 hours, an airplane would not still be in sight in that time. 2nd, they are perfectly straight - an airplane would trace a curved line that would cross a portion of the photo, not end/originate from a single point. 3rd they start at the horizon and continue straight at what would have to be an exceedingly high trajectory, ending at a single point in the middle of the sky. Not airplanes, can't be. There is what appears to be an airplane taking off just above the horizon on the left hand side - very different from what we see with those 2 lines . I guess it must be meteors. I thought it might be laser beacon or something associated with the launch so my reference to stationary was not a stationary object but a stationery source.
Airplanes can and do travel in straight lines. A simple image search for contrails reveals dozens of examples of airplane paths through the sky. Here's a good one.

Contrails by cabracito, on Flickr
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Rob ME wrote:Chris, Those are not airplane traces, they can't be. 1st of all, the photo-compilation took place over 3 hours, an airplane would not still be in sight in that time. 2nd, they are perfectly straight - an airplane would trace a curved line that would cross a portion of the photo, not end/originate from a single point. 3rd they start at the horizon and continue straight at what would have to be an exceedingly high trajectory, ending at a single point in the middle of the sky. Not airplanes, can't be. There is what appears to be an airplane taking off just above the horizon on the left hand side - very different from what we see with those 2 lines . I guess it must be meteors. I thought it might be laser beacon or something associated with the launch so my reference to stationary was not a stationary object but a stationery source.
They are airplanes; you can even see the navigation lights. The image was made by stacking many shorter exposures. The planes didn't need to be visible the entire time. Even with a single exposure, they'd be in the image. The rocket certainly wasn't visible the entire three hours! I make lots of wide angle night shots, and airplane tracks are almost always straight.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:31 am

Mike Killian wrote:Yes everyone they are airplanes, I had no intention of spending more time in post to analyze every shot to remove the aircraft streaks. Actually, if you look towards the NE horizon (left) you'll also notice some odd red & green trails - that's from the USAF Pave Hawks of the 920th Rescue Wing from local Patrick AFB clearing the range for the launch.

- Mike Killian
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

CharliePatriot

Post by CharliePatriot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Great picture for sure. Is that meteor trails I see from top right to mid lower scene, and from mid right to center scene.? Pretty impressive the amount of time they are visible. Ooops guess I should have read the other posts first...sorry. :roll: