Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Have you seen this video before?

You may select 1 option

View results

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD Assessment Poll: Novelty

Post by RJN » Tue May 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

(The APOD video referenced can be found here.)

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: APOD Assessment Poll: Novelty

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue May 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I tried pulling up up the video using my iPad device but all I get is a "Not Found" error message.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 pm

That's because it will be tomorrow's APOD.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 am

Yes, I've seen it before. I almost posted it in Stream of Stuff, in the Open Space forum.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

JMPB

Post by JMPB » Wed May 21, 2014 7:46 am

Saw it on the Bad Astronomy blog at Slate magazine

gcal

Post by gcal » Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 pm

I hadn't seen this video before, and am a little disappointed to see it here. This video belongs on http://epod.usra.edu/ or http://weatherpictureoftheday.com/. I come to APOD for the Astronomy. Other than occasionally straying from astronomy, the crew at APOD does a great job, and I visit every day and learn something.

cptn apod

Post by cptn apod » Wed May 21, 2014 1:03 pm

not really space related content..you should have posted it to the espod site.

CW3

Post by CW3 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Saw it on weather feature on WashingtonPost.com, but I don't mind seeing it repeated here.

Rusty Brown in Cda

Post by Rusty Brown in Cda » Wed May 21, 2014 2:23 pm

The CBC here in Canada had a brief glimpse of it on the news channel.

hughhyatt
Asternaut

Post by hughhyatt » Wed May 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I hadn't seen it anywhere on the Internet, but I did see a portion of the clip on a TV news show, probably on Al Jazeera, BBC American, NBC News, MSNBC or CNN.
O Star-eyed Science! hast thou wandered there, To waft us home the message of despair? — Thomas Campbell

Nicabod

Post by Nicabod » Wed May 21, 2014 4:42 pm

New to me, and glad to have seen it. I surely don't want to rain (or hail) on your parade, but do tend to agree that this was pretty much off-topic. You've had terrestrial sky phenomena such as sundogs before, so this was not utterly OT, though. It was so unusual, dramatic, and rather scary, however, that I surely can't complain.

Your scope seems to be that of what can be seen in the sky, but with meteorological phenomena having much less emphasis.

Surely, there could be no harm in an occasional link to extraordinary items that you think your followers might find interesting.

Nexus 7 2 here (love it!); video rendered just fine. One eye is nearsighted, which helps a lot.

I love APOD, and have its icon on my home screen. Also liked your inventive topical robot filter.

NightHymn
Asternaut

Post by NightHymn » Wed May 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Weather IS Astronomy, you lovely moaning dudes! 8-)
I'm very thankful for APod, so interesting and fascinating.
Quenches my thirst for knowledge.

jebgreen

Post by jebgreen » Wed May 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Saw a still shot of this elsewhere, which was impressive; the video really shows the power of this weather system. Thanks for posting it!

skater314159
Asternaut

Post by skater314159 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I've been loving APOD since 1995! My dad had it as the homepage on his computer at his office, in his lab, & at home. When I went to college, I also kept it as my homepage as it feels like home to me! :D

I enjoyed seeing this video because I'm also a weather geek, and I didn't see it anywhere else on the internet. I would like seeing more videos like this - or really videos about any aero/astro topics! :ssmile:

Just wanted to give you guys a shout out!

~Megan

thurstong

Post by thurstong » Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 pm

no, I didn't see it anywhere else, and am glad that you posted it, because I likely wouldn't have seen it anywhere else some other respondents suggested.

I like the fact that you include other 'sky stuff', not just space, so, my vote is 'keep it up!' Always a treat to open your mail every day! Thanks!!

dartu

Post by dartu » Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 am

LOL the cheesy spambot prevention question made my day! I like that you're not all nebulous and clusters. A smattering of moon surface, Mars rovers, aurora, cloud formations. It was pretty awesome to see this video of the cloud formation, and the people scramming from being under that monster. I once asked a geographer: more power in a storm or a nuclear bomb? And she said, trust me on this. All that much water up in the air and winds and lightning and rain falling for such a long time. The storm is bigger, hands down, thousands of times over. That's one of the precious things of your site: the humbling of our humanity in the face of the universe. Thanks and thanks!

Rafael_Cordeiro

Post by Rafael_Cordeiro » Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm

I saw it before on the I F*cking Love Sience Facebook page, but i do apreciate the extra explanations given here on the APOD... and i didn't mind watching it again, it's an amazing video!

Rothkko
Lieutenant

Post by Rothkko » Thu May 22, 2014 6:38 pm

gcal wrote:I hadn't seen this video before, and am a little disappointed to see it here. This video belongs on http://epod.usra.edu/ or http://weatherpictureoftheday.com/. I come to APOD for the Astronomy. Other than occasionally straying from astronomy, the crew at APOD does a great job, and I visit every day and learn something.
si el curiosity en marte, u otro curiosity en otro planeta hubieran grabado algo parecido, sería apropiado para APOD?
If the curiosity in Mars, or another curiosity in another planet they had recorded slightly similarly, would it be appropriate for APOD?