APOD: Dark Shuttle Approaching (2014 Aug 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Dark Shuttle Approaching (2014 Aug 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:05 am

Image Dark Shuttle Approaching

Explanation: What's that approaching? Astronauts on board the International Space Station first saw it in early 2010 far in the distance. Soon it enlarged to become a dark silhouette. As it came even closer, the silhouette appeared to be a spaceship. Finally, the object revealed itself to be the Space Shuttle Endeavour, and it soon docked as expected with the Earth-orbiting space station. Pictured above, Endeavour was imaged near Earth's horizon as it approached, where several layers of the Earth's atmosphere were visible. Directly behind the shuttle is the mesosphere, which appears blue. The atmospheric layer that appears white is the stratosphere, while the orange layer is Earth's Troposphere. This shuttle mission, began with a dramatic night launch. Tasks completed during this shuttle's visit to the ISS included the delivery of the Tranquility Module which contained a cupola bay window complex that allows even better views of spaceships approaching and leaving the space station.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

bactame
Ensign

Re: APOD: Dark Shuttle Approaching (2014 Aug 03)

Post by bactame » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:39 am

Interesting how much of life is serendipity...this Shuttle shot shows the structure of the atmosphere better than any other image i've seen.

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Only assuming (dangerous) the shuttle is approaching ISS with its open payload bay facing the camera, what could have caused the light colored object on the shuttle near the front of the right bay door?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Gratuitous ISS Chases

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm

bactame wrote:
Interesting how much of life is serendipity...
this Shuttle shot shows the structure of the atmosphere better than any other image i've seen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_chase#In_film wrote: <<Car chases are a staple of the action movie genre, and feature-length films have been built entirely around car chases, often featuring high-powered, exotic vehicles. Although car chases on film were staged as early as the motor vehicle itself, the consensus among historians and film critics is that the first modern car chase movie was 1968's Bullitt. The revolutionary 10-minute-long chase scene in Bullitt was far longer and far faster than what had gone before, and placed cameras so that the audience felt as though they were inside the cars. Even during the most calamitous scenes, the star - Steve McQueen - could be clearly seen at the wheel of the vehicle. The French Connection further increased the realism. While previous chases had obviously been filmed on closed roads, isolated highways, or Sunday mornings, The French Connection placed the chase in the midst of busy New York traffic and pedestrians.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Zoomer wrote:
Only assuming (dangerous) the shuttle is approaching ISS with its open payload bay facing the camera, what could have caused the light colored object on the shuttle near the front of the right bay door?

Art Neuendorffer

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Sunlight reflecting off of the starboard top window?

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Inspiring....

:---[===] *

Piper

Post by Piper » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:46 pm

neufer wrote:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Psnarf wrote:Sunlight reflecting off of the starboard top window?
Okay, I can imagine sunlit atmosphere reflected off said window after comparing what I see as a motion type smear of the shuttle running at about the same angle as this object. Good call!

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Zoomer wrote:
Psnarf wrote:
Sunlight reflecting off of the starboard top window?
Okay, I can imagine sunlit atmosphere reflected off said window after comparing what I see as a motion type smear of the shuttle running at about the same angle as this object.
It is too far back to be the starboard top window, IMO.
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:50 am

I am thinking this might be the vehicle to land man and materials on Mars. Smaller maybe
Wolf Kotenberg