Helping to fund APOD: Friends of APOD

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Helping to fund APOD: Friends of APOD

Post by owlice » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Friends of APOD has been set up as a non-profit to help fund APOD; Cathie Meetre is its president, I'm currently serving as secretary and treasurer, and geckzilla has set up the website. We hope this will smooth out APOD's financial situation. The website is here: http://friendsofapod.org/

Announcing first here in the hope of getting feedback on the site before the link is more widely distributed; thanks!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Helping to fund APOD: Friends of APOD

Post by owlice » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:00 pm

I guess that didn't work too well! :-D

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 am

Well, if you insist...

I found that site a little confusing, in two ways. First, it's asking for donations to Friends of APOD, not to APOD itself. Secondly, it doesn't explain why donations are necessary. It says what they may be used for, but that's not the same thing.

If you know anybody in the "giving" industry, see if you can get them to donate a little time for improving the site. I'm pretty sure it's a "no go" the way it is now.

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 am

Thanks, Rob! I was actually commenting in the second post about getting feedback before the link was widely distributed, but since it's already been on APOD....!

APOD doesn't have a way to accept funding directly from fans; it's not a legal entity. It's a project, I suppose is one way to put it. So Friends of APOD was formed to bridge that gap.

I don't know anyone in the giving industry, alas!