APOD: From the Temple of the Sun to the of... (2014 Oct 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: From the Temple of the Sun to the of... (2014 Oct 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:06 am

Image From the Temple of the Sun to the Temple of the Moon

Explanation: What connects the Sun to the Moon? Many answers have been given throughout history, but in the case of today's featured image, it appears to be the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy. The 16-image panorama was taken in Capitol Reef National Park, Utah, USA where two sandstone monoliths -- the Temple of the Moon on the right and the Temple of the Sun on the left -- rise dramatically from the desert. Each natural monument stands about 100 meters tall and survives from the Jurassic period 160 million years ago. Even older are many of the stars and nebula that dot the celestial background, including the Andromeda Galaxy. Tomorrow the Earth will connect the Sun to the Moon by way of its shadow: a total lunar eclipse will be visible from many locations around the globe.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: From the Temple of the Sun to the of... (2014 Oct

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:13 am

The annotated Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon, are reversed from the description. So, which one is right, the annotation, or the description?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:31 am

Sounds like a research project for you. When you find the answer, you can email the editors too.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:42 am

That's a fine picture! :D I like the annotation.

Of course there is more that could be annotated - the Butterfly Cluster, M6, stands out like a sore thumb at lower right, and I think I can see the Double Cluster at lower left - but I certainly realize that you can't fill the picture with so many words and designations that you can't see the image behind!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:02 am

I believe the annotations on the image are correct. As best I can tell, this is a panorama covering a bit more than 180&deg; of the horizon, from North on the left, passing through East in centre and South on the right, with the camera being somewhere in between the two temples. If you type "38.4484, -111.1927" in to Google Maps, it will take you there, virtually.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:00 am

geckzilla wrote:Sounds like a research project for you. When you find the answer, you can email the editors too.
Thanks for the advice, geck, but i only do searches, not researches, where a few to a lot have already gone. I stick to the un-trampled paths. And i wouldn't dream of e-mailing the editors and butting into something that you do so well, even if i knew what their e-mail addresses were.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Nitpicker wrote:I believe the annotations on the image are correct. As best I can tell, this is a panorama covering a bit more than 180&deg; of the horizon, from North on the left, passing through East in centre and South on the right, with the camera being somewhere in between the two temples. If you type "38.4484, -111.1927" in to Google Maps, it will take you there, virtually.
Thanks everyone. Not my best week. I just fixedthe text.

- RJN

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Does the ISS ever trace a path on the same plane as our galaxy? It would be an interesting panoramic photograph if it could be taken with the camera rotating a full circle during the orbit especially if the sun could be avoided or its light effect minimized. We’d get the rest of the arch in one photo. This has probably been done in other easier ways that I’m not aware of but the thought crossed my mind looking at today’s APOD. It's hard for me to picture the Milky Way from that vantage point.
Make Mars not Wars

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:22 pm

"Sun and Moon" connected by a Milky Way Rainbow!!!! But there is another "connector" in the picture....EARTH....

Might be cloudy for the Eclipse here...but I will try to get a shot.

:---[===] *

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 pm

RJN wrote:Thanks everyone. Not my best week. I just fixedthe text
No problem, RJN. In this seasonal change to cold weather, even the trees are falling apart. :lol2:

dmbeaster

Post by dmbeaster » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:18 pm

The Entrada Sandstone that is found in the temples is from the Jurassic, but the temples themselves are very recent -- probably only several hundred thousand years old at best, and then even more recent for the current appearance. The sandstone in this vicinity is a softer variety of the Entrada. One clue to that is that there are no mounds of talus below the temples -- the sandstone crumbles fairly easily as it erodes, and erodes to a sandy dust leaving no broken mounds of eroded rock that has come off the temples.

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm

...Not to mention the green glow of high-altitude chemoluminescence. Although the location is far enough north to catch Kp5,6 auroras, they would present themselves as a red glow on the horizon, much like the prior APOD from Payson, AZ.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Boomer12k wrote:Might be cloudy for the Eclipse here...but I will try to get a shot.
... Wishing you cooperative clear skies tonight!
Mark Goldfain

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:Does the ISS ever trace a path on the same plane as our galaxy? It would be an interesting panoramic photograph if it could be taken with the camera rotating a full circle during the orbit especially if the sun could be avoided or its light effect minimized. We’d get the rest of the arch in one photo. This has probably been done in other easier ways that I’m not aware of but the thought crossed my mind looking at today’s APOD. It's hard for me to picture the Milky Way from that vantage point.
Not sure that the ISS is terribly well suited to that sort of thing, but here is a 360 degree panorama of the galaxy produced by the ESO: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... a_(by).jpg

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks very much. For some reason it appears more as its natural state (as one might see it from orbit) to me. I'd be curious how this was composed over the many months. I'll look into it's source. Ron
Make Mars not Wars

drlane
Ensign

Post by drlane » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Nitpicker wrote:I believe the annotations on the image are correct. As best I can tell, this is a panorama covering a bit more than 180&deg; of the horizon, from North on the left, passing through East in centre and South on the right, with the camera being somewhere in between the two temples. If you type "38.4484, -111.1927" in to Google Maps, it will take you there, virtually.

And you would be correct thanks for doing that research!

Dave Lane