Assessment Poll: How do you access APOD?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback

Typically, how do you access APOD?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:40 pm

Desktop or laptop.
89%
Tablet.
6%
Smartphone.
4%
Psychic or Medium.
2%

Total votes: 1105

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Assessment Poll: How do you access APOD?

Post by RJN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Assessment Poll: How do you access APOD?

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:46 pm

I need an "all of the above". There isn't really any "typical" way. It just depends on what device is in front of me.

But that does mean I need it to be friendly to all manner of devices.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 pm

I've tried accessing APOD on screens with less than 1024x768 resolution and I don't find it nearly as pleasant. I'm accustomed to using two large monitors with much higher resolution and I find it hard to go back to something smaller. I am yet to appreciate smart phones or tablets, which may put me in a minority.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:44 am

Nitpicker wrote:I've tried accessing APOD on screens with less than 1024x768 resolution and I don't find it nearly as pleasant. I'm accustomed to using two large monitors with much higher resolution and I find it hard to go back to something smaller. I am yet to appreciate smart phones or tablets, which may put me in a minority.
Tablets and phones tend to be much higher resolution than the best monitors, but smaller, of course. APODs look really good on my 10" tablet. They look good on my 5" phone, too, although the physical size starts becoming an issue. On my high end desktop monitors, the lower resolution is sometimes apparent, but the large physical size is nice. Tradeoffs everywhere.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:00 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Nitpicker wrote:I've tried accessing APOD on screens with less than 1024x768 resolution and I don't find it nearly as pleasant. I'm accustomed to using two large monitors with much higher resolution and I find it hard to go back to something smaller. I am yet to appreciate smart phones or tablets, which may put me in a minority.
Tablets and phones tend to be much higher resolution than the best monitors, but smaller, of course. APODs look really good on my 10" tablet. They look good on my 5" phone, too, although the physical size starts becoming an issue. On my high end desktop monitors, the lower resolution is sometimes apparent, but the large physical size is nice. Tradeoffs everywhere.
Most of the tablets I've seen are used by surveyors who seem to like smaller screens that are daylight readable and most daylight readable screens are not so hi-res. So, that must be where my bias is coming from. I also have zombie-like fingers which often don't work well on some touch screens. And reading off a smart phone can easily give me a headache. I'm fast becoming a grumpy old man (with very big monitors).

MargaritaMc
Look to the Evenstar

I have clicked the wrong button...

Post by MargaritaMc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 am

Sorry about that :oops:

It SHOULD have been Tablet, and I seem to have clicked Smartphone.

I only use a tablet nowadays, so am accustomed to my Nexus 7's screen. The Apod displays well enough for me to enjoy and benefit from it.

I'm interested that Chris would like to have an All of the Above option - great to know you have psychic powers, Chris! :lol2: (And, RJN, I do think we should have had two options: I occasionally tune into your psychic aura and view the Apod selection that way. Saves on electricity.)

Margarita
"In those rare moments of total quiet with a dark sky, I again feel the awe that struck me as a child. The feeling is utterly overwhelming as my mind races out across the stars. I feel peaceful and serene."
— Dr Debra M. Elmegreen, Fellow of the AAAS

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:17 am

Like Chris, I use whatever is in front of me. At home I have a desktop, laptop, tablet (+IPad). The combination of screen size and resolution drives me to my desktop most of the time. I'll admit I don't have a smart phone and, though I can, I don't access the internet through my cell phone.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

bobbslidell

Post by bobbslidell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:57 am

Please update the last category to include REMOTE VIEWER

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:10 am

Changing the poll options now would reset the current results.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

andyf

Post by andyf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Last time I tried using a psychic or medium I got a 404 error. :(

beenthere/donethat

Post by beenthere/donethat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Opens my browser at work and at home (thus maintaining my sanity and insuring perspective) on a standard and slightly out of date PC monitor.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Please be on facebook. That would be very convenient

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm

APOD opens in my Browsers by default.

WilliamAWelch

Post by WilliamAWelch » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Guest wrote:Please be on facebook. That would be very convenient
Try: https://www.facebook.com/AstronomyPictureOfTheDay

g0mrb

Post by g0mrb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 am

I access APOD on laptops, desktop computers and a tablet. I have no smartphone, but would also view APOD with one of those, given the chance. APOD is my browser home page, and sometimes the source for desktop wallpapers, on three laptops and on three desktop computers at present - all my own devices. Some people will have network shares on mainframes, accessed via simple terminals; my spouse accesses APOD by that means. Other people will be using netbooks, which are neither laptops nor tablets. Furthermore, how should someone with an iPod Touch, or a similar lightweight, non-tablet device vote?

Others, from what I read here, have similar difficulties with the Poll as it stands.

Can the poll be re-started with more choices, and with multiple choice permutations so that people can give you more accurate data, please? The results given by the current selections will be quite inaccurate.

Thanks.

tmccreesh

Post by tmccreesh » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:44 am

I have APOD open as the default photo in my browser on both laptop and desktop. It is also an app on my iPad mini. It's great!
On the iPad, when APOD is a small video or such, it cannot open.