Introductions: How did you become interested in astronomy?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
Jeannie

Re: Introductions: How did you become interested in astronomy?

Post by Jeannie » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Hello everyone.
I haven't ever lived in a dark sky area, so have little opportunity to stargaze seriously. My family didn't have the means for pursuing astronomy as a hobby but I was allowed to watch 'The Sky at Night' in the holidays. It's a British TV programme which has been running for over 50 years and was shown after 11.00pm when I was young. The sheer size and complexity of the universe and the idea of leaving earth fascinated me and I read a great deal of science fiction. It's amazing to remember how much more we know than when I was a child and how much more there is to learn.

My maths isn't up to the standard of being able to qualify to work in the field but I continue to be interested. Comets, transits of the sun, eclipses are possible to view even without clear skies and a telescope. One unforgettable experience was to stand with my daughter and husband in the south of Australia and see a starlit sky as we'd never seen it before. It's sad that there's so much light pollution in the world. I was given the APOD link by a fellow poster on Goodreads and I think of her daily, grateful for the pleasure of seeing the fascinating pictures on the site. Long may it flourish!

Alanh
Asternaut

Post by Alanh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi. Alan H from Henderson Nv via chicago I’ll. On the lakefront in chicago we have the planetarium that we would go to occasionally. Very interesting. Now here in nevada it’s easier to see the stars at night although there is a lot of light polution. Regarding this spiral galaxy I just have to wonder if these things are stationary or does the whole thing spin like a wheel? I am guessing they do spin but also like our solar system things inside them are also spinning. The individual planets spin like ours then the solar system spins. If so would they all spin the same direction CW OR CCW? Just wondering. Thanks.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:01 am

Alanh wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm Hi. Alan H from Henderson Nv via chicago I’ll. On the lakefront in chicago we have the planetarium that we would go to occasionally. Very interesting. Now here in nevada it’s easier to see the stars at night although there is a lot of light polution. Regarding this spiral galaxy I just have to wonder if these things are stationary or does the whole thing spin like a wheel? I am guessing they do spin but also like our solar system things inside them are also spinning. The individual planets spin like ours then the solar system spins. If so would they all spin the same direction CW OR CCW? Just wondering. Thanks.
All of the stars in a galaxy are in their own orbits within the galaxy, and virtually all are orbiting in the same direction in the discs of spiral galaxies. CW and CCW don't mean anything here, because the direction just depends upon which side of the galaxy you're looking from. In elliptical galaxies, and in the central bulge of spiral galaxies, stars are orbiting in more than a single plane, so direction can become harder to define. And regardless of the direction that stars over all are moving in a galaxy, that directionality is largely lost in the orientation, spin direction, and other dynamics of the stars themselves and any planets around them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Oddyann
Asternaut

Post by Oddyann » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:23 am

I was interested in it in childhood, but then didn`t actually have enough time for it. Now, while the quarantine I decided to learn more.

JackWhite1

Post by JackWhite1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:41 pm

I've had an interest since I've looked at the sky. There was something magic on the sky during the time I've been looking at it. Weird feelings but still remember them to this day.

Lariliss
Asternaut

Post by Lariliss » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Hello, Asterisk!

I am pleased to be here for knowledge and experience sharing. Public eye contribution.
Through my education and career I have passed a lot of challenges and projects, gaining more and more mates, friends, mentors and followers. So that to be enriched here as well, I believe.

For me Astronomy started as a view of another world and trying to grasp that we are a part of it from childhood (from being a kid of astronomy passionate professional). Hence, to some extent natural, when you are startled by everything. It doesn’t mean though that I grew up in observatories, laboratories or launch sites.
Now it takes a noticeable part of my life more or less, according to projects that I am involved in as a polytechnic professional.
Literally, in my free time, it might be called a hobby, but not one that is starving for the best photos collection or any specific group membership. Astronomy is a place to go with my arsenal of knowledge to get more, a subject for a good mini-project and team-work sometimes.
My best comparison would be being a lonely fan of a band, but not a member of the majority fan-group, which averages experience.
It is individualized travel. And I like to stand up and get feedback, other points of view or support. Meaningful conversation, which hopefully goes to meaningful results.
Astronomy is intertwined with physics, matter of things, with history, poetry and music (and it is exciting for us to be in the days of technological revolution history).
As for all the deeds it is great to have feedback from a contribution.

Prometheus
Ensign

Post by Prometheus » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:14 pm

To be honest, I can't really remember how I get interested in things. That includes astronomy. I think I just read things about space and started to like it, and develop the interest then (when I was about 9 or 10, I'm 13 now). Last year was when I really got into moons, and I am still like that today.

danielismeh
Asternaut

Post by danielismeh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:09 pm

I'm not actually sure when I started to have an interest in astronomy. When I was, perhaps, 2 years old, I would call all white circular-shaped objects the "moon". When I learned to read, around the age of 3, I took an interest in reading books about space and astronomy. I didn't understand most of the topics, but I still found it to be intriguing. Ever since then, I have always had an interest in physics, astronomy, and other topics regarding the universe. :saturn:

HarryLeo
Asternaut

Post by HarryLeo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:53 am

hi i am harryleo excited to know more about astronomy

gio_art
Asternaut

Post by gio_art » Mon May 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Hello, I am Giovanni from Italy about 10 years ago I started with Dobsonian visually from some 'years I dedicate myself astrophotography But unfortunately or very polluted skies. I was very fascinated by the Deep Sky

PoppaPaul

Post by PoppaPaul » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm

I've been interested in astronomy all my life. When the Hubbard Telescope was launched and the amazing pictures started to flow, my interest was piqued even more. Now, I'm getting my children and grandchildren captivated with these pictures.

Jacihi
Asternaut

Post by Jacihi » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:38 pm

Like those I have just read in this section, my interest in astronomy began in childhood. I was taken to Mt Stromlo in Canberra, Australia, and was given an indelible image of Saturn’s rings along with other fascinations. I am still delighted and fascinated by the night sky though more from a sensory perspective than scientific.

Lotz
Asternaut

Post by Lotz » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi,
my name is Markus and I am into astronomy since childhood. Having my first job enabled me purchasing my first telescope back in 1998, a 4.5" newtonian. As I did photography already for more than two decades, I more and more started trying astrophotographical work. First on chemical film with starfields, and planets using eyepiece projection and an analogue SLR. From the early 2000s on I started with my first CCD camera, a QHY10 and meanwhile, I have different cameras for different objects. Besides deep sky photography, I am also working on lunar and planetary photography, so my real first CCD was a TouCAM Pro in 2001.

thomaswilliamdobbie
Asternaut

Post by thomaswilliamdobbie » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm

I saw the night sky, and felt it ...

kinkintheneckastro
Asternaut
AKA: Sean Perdue Astro

Post by kinkintheneckastro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:13 pm

Hi all, I remember seeing the stars from a dark location for the first time at 8 years old. I grew up in the city and had no idea the sky could look like that, spent many nights just staring up and wondering if I was actually seeing fuzzy spots or imagining them because they seemed to disappear when I looked right at them. At 16, I would drive to the edge of town to look at Comet Hale-Bopp many times, so fascinated by what I saw. In 2020, Comet Neowise ignited a flame in me that has only gotten stronger, bought my first telescope and now I'm imaging the night sky as often as I can

Atlantis
Asternaut

Post by Atlantis » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:05 am

Hi everyone, my name is Simon Dolby, I live in the Peak District National Park, Derbyshire in the UK. I've been interested in Astronomy since I was old enough to look up at the stars and ask questions, so about 5, as I remember Apollo 11 moon landing when I was 4. I minored in Astronomy at University 20 odd years ago, and just over 18 months ago I got into astrophotography, which has led me to this page. I'm hoping that one of my images is good enough to be APOD. Clear Skies.

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:36 pm

Atlantis wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:05 am Hi everyone, my name is Simon Dolby, I live in the Peak District National Park, Derbyshire in the UK. I've been interested in Astronomy since I was old enough to look up at the stars and ask questions, so about 5, as I remember Apollo 11 moon landing when I was 4. I minored in Astronomy at University 20 odd years ago, and just over 18 months ago I got into astrophotography, which has led me to this page. I'm hoping that one of my images is good enough to be APOD. Clear Skies.
I am a random person but,, I really love to see your pictures! Do you have a website or sth like that? :ssmile:

Atlantis
Asternaut

Post by Atlantis » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:52 pm

Hi Rauf, no website just yet, but I'm working on it.

astrowidoki
Asternaut

Post by astrowidoki » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm

Hello All!
My name is Maciek, I've been interested in astronomy since my childhood. I live in Krakow but my hometown is in Southeastern Poland and this is a place where I frequently go to capture images of stars, galaxies, nebulas, and planets. I also love visual observations through my 16-inch Dobsonian telescope. Clear skies!

ta3limynet
Asternaut

Post by ta3limynet » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:41 pm

I became interested in astronomy because of my curiosity about the universe. I've always wondered what's out there, beyond our planet and our solar system. I'm fascinated by the vastness and complexity of the cosmos, and I love learning about all the different astronomical objects and phenomena.

I think my interest in astronomy was first sparked when I was a kid and I saw the night sky for the first time in a truly dark place. I was amazed by the number of stars and planets I could see, and I felt a sense of awe and wonder. I started reading books about astronomy and learning everything I could about the universe.

As I got older, my interest in astronomy only continued to grow. I learned about the different types of stars and planets, the formation of galaxies, and the evolution of the universe. I also learned about the latest discoveries in astronomy, such as the discovery of exoplanets and dark matter.

Today, I'm still just as fascinated by astronomy as I was when I was a kid. I love learning new things about the universe and sharing my knowledge with others. I'm also excited about the future of astronomy and all the new discoveries that await us.

Here are some of the specific things about astronomy that I find most interesting:

The vastness and scale of the universe. The universe is so big that it's almost impossible to comprehend. It contains billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars. And our planet is just a tiny speck in this vast expanse.
The diversity of astronomical objects. There are so many different types of astronomical objects, from stars and planets to galaxies and black holes. Each object is unique and has its own fascinating properties.
The mystery of the universe. There's still so much that we don't know about the universe. How did it begin? What's made of dark matter and dark energy? Is there life on other planets? These are just a few of the many questions that astronomers are working to answer.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn more about astronomy and share my knowledge with others. I believe that astronomy is one of the most important and fascinating fields of study. It helps us to understand our place in the universe and to appreciate the beauty and wonder of the cosmos.
Last edited by owlice on Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove URL

quotejester
Asternaut

Post by quotejester » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm

When I first got glasses in grade 2 and looked up at the sky (when it wasn't raining -- Ocean Falls, BC, the home of the "Rain People" doesn't get a lot of clear nights through its 4.4.m of rain per year), I was dazzled, always am, though again, Greater Vancouver has a lot of non-clear nights especially when you WANT to go out and see something.

In this post-COVID WFH-5x5 world, I scrape apod for my daily zoom background -- every now and then I have to shuffle around for something else, because videos don't work so well with all my conferencing programs, but the daily beauty is appreciated. My heartfelt thanks to US taxpayers for keeping this thing rolling.

d.j.j.g.

Post by d.j.j.g. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:28 pm

When I was young, I became fascinated by the lore of constellations, though not by the science. In Boy Scouts, I earned an astronomy merit badge.