APOD: Stereo Pluto (2015 Aug 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Stereo Pluto (2015 Aug 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 am

Image Stereo Pluto

Explanation: These two detailed, true color images of Pluto were captured during the historic New Horizons flyby last month. With slightly different perspectives on the now recognizeable surface features they are presented in this first high quality stereo pair intended for viewing by denizens of planet Earth. The left hand image (left eye) is a mosaic recorded when the spacecraft was about 450,000 kilometers from Pluto. The right single image was acquired earlier, a last full look before the spacecraft's closest approach. Despite a difference in resolution, the pair combine for a stunning 3D perception of the distant, underworldly terrain.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Coil_Smoke
Ensign

Re: APOD: Stereo Pluto (2015 Aug 06)

Post by Coil_Smoke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:04 am

There must be some distortion in generating this stereo pair. When I get the images to merge, a very elongated ' water melon ' shape appears. Like viewing a water melon end on. I have seen no other images that show Pluto is shaped like this.

hoohaw

Post by hoohaw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 am

Ho ho ho! I crossed my eyes - and I saw a hollow sphere, with the surface of Pluto on the inside of the sphere! What fun! Then, of course, I took screen shots of the two images, put them side by side, just as they were in APOD, and verified that I got the same weird effect. Then I switched them, left to right, right to left, and got a GREAT stereo view of Pluto! Lucky the APL engineers didn't make any mistakes like this one! Hoo haw!

isoparix

Post by isoparix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 am

Using same 'crossed-eyes- technique, they look OK to me. Suspect this 'inside-out' effect is similar to what you can get looking at craters anywhere - they just refuse to be craters and look like pancakes, until some trick persuades the eyes and brain to think otherwise!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 am

The view looked concave to me; I wonder if they got the left and right turned around.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:49 am

hoohaw wrote:Ho ho ho! I crossed my eyes - and I saw a hollow sphere, with the surface of Pluto on the inside of the sphere! What fun! Then, of course, I took screen shots of the two images, put them side by side, just as they were in APOD, and verified that I got the same weird effect. Then I switched them, left to right, right to left, and got a GREAT stereo view of Pluto! Lucky the APL engineers didn't make any mistakes like this one! Hoo haw!
Hoohaw, I have posted your version: http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/correct
Let's have a vote: which version is best!

TMart

Post by TMart » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 pm

There is a difference between a standard stereogram and a crossed eye stereogram. Looking at the original source, it is apparent that the New Horizons author was using stereo glass NOT crossed eye technique. To see Pluto in 3-D images need to be reversed. Left eye should be on the right.

Rusty Brown in Cda

Post by Rusty Brown in Cda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:48 pm

So, how does it work?
I've been staring at this image for ¼ hour and don't see anything special. How do you "merge" these images? Do I need one of those old victorian stereopticon devices?
I feel very left out.

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Rusty Brown in Cda wrote:So, how does it work?
I've been staring at this image for ¼ hour and don't see anything special. How do you "merge" these images? Do I need one of those old victorian stereopticon devices?
I feel very left out.
Just cross your eyes, so that the two images merge. Pluto will pop out, and start barking at you!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:00 pm

You need to slowly cross your eyes unit the two images of Pluto merge into a third central image. This third central image is the 3d image

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:02 pm

sorry, I meant to say, cross your eyes on the henrystar version and Pluto will appear in 3D correctly: http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/correct
What a shame all the comments have to be on this narrow technical issue. The 3D image is truly great!

Rusty Brown in Cda

Post by Rusty Brown in Cda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. I have since made my morning coffee and now feel better disposed to tackle this undertaking.

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:12 pm

If Pluto were in our own Moon's orbit around Earth (instead of the Moon we have) it would appear only 0.7 the size we do see for our own Moon.

stereouseless

Post by stereouseless » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:22 pm

what good are these images without something to veiw them with?
a waste of time.

bw-photo

Post by bw-photo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 pm

First for those who don't know, a stereo image like this can be viewed using the cross-eyed method. Zoom so the image is not too large on your screen, for beginners start small. Cross your eyes so that the two images converge in the middle, it will look like a row of three. The middle one will look 3D. Stare at it and relax your eyes to allow it to come in focus (this is the hardest part). Its not super easy but don't feel bad if you can't do it, some people's eyes don't work that way.
The issue with this image is that the left and right images need to be reversed in order to use this viewing method. If you take the image into any image editing software and reverse the two it looks quite cool.

I hope this was helpful to someone.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:21 pm

stereouseless wrote:what good are these images without something to veiw them with?
a waste of time.
On APOD, 3D images are more commonly presented as anaglyphs- red/green or red/blue composites that are viewed with colored glasses. Those images definitely require something special for viewing (and color information is lost). The nice thing about stereograms like the one presented today is that no special viewing tools are required. Most people can fuse stereo pairs with a little practice (either parallel eye versions like today's, or crossed eye pairs).

Hardly a waste of time. If nothing else, it's an opportunity to learn a new and useful skill. Stereograms like this are presented in scientific papers all the time, in many fields.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Rusty Brown in Cda wrote:So, how does it work?
Do I need one of those old victorian stereopticon devices?
Nah, the bar that holds the card would poke through your screen! But there are lots of simple viewing devices like them made for screen and paper viewing. Cartographers and aerial surveyors have been using them for years, little folding viewers. Most recently, the Google Cardboard viewers have come on the scene for turning your phone into a virtual reality device. For somewhere between free and a few bucks, those viewers would work to look at images like today's APOD.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

stereouseless

Post by stereouseless » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm

dear chriss.. i still say its a big waste of time to put these images here..
looking crosseyed at something is not good for ones eyes.

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:43 pm

stereouseless wrote:dear chriss.. i still say its a big waste of time to put these images here..
Opinions on all kinds of things do vary. Just skip this one, my friend! As for me, I think it is wonderful! I am delighted with it! Chaqu'un a son gout!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:45 pm

stereouseless wrote:dear chriss.. i still say its a big waste of time to put these images here..
You don't look cross-eyed with this image. However, training your eyes to view stereo pairs is not harmful. Indeed, there are specific eye exercises that do just that, with therapeutic intent. You can learn to point your eyes independently (like a chameleon) and amaze your friends and possibly advance a career in comedy... all harmlessly.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Noel Carboni

Post by Noel Carboni » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Fantastic view of something no one ever saw until just weeks ago! Congratulations Brian and Greg!

Foiks, here's a trick for those who want to use crossed eyes to view this image:

Open two browser windows to the APOD site, side by side. Adjust the widths and zoom until the right part of the left image is right next to the left part of the right image. Voila, images reversed and crossed eyes reveals the absolute wonder and majesty of what will ALWAYS be the 9th planet.

-Noel

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:02 pm

The first few posters were correct. The left and right images are switched. At least when I switched them I got a lovely view of a 3D sphere.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Congratulations to the team that made this happen. An incredible feat bringing NH back to life after the safe mode event. I saw the movie of the Pluto = Charon system wobbling away and I wonderd if Pluto was going to wobble itself into NH path. Whew !
Wolf Kotenberg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Guest wrote:The first few posters were correct. The left and right images are switched. At least when I switched them I got a lovely view of a 3D sphere.
The images are NOT switched. This is a normal stereo pair, meaning that the left eye image is on the left and the right eye image is on the right. If you view it this way, you'll see a proper stereo image. If you view this image with crossed eyes, so that the left image is in the right eye and vice versa, you'll see an inverted stereo image- the planet will appear to be a concave bowl. If you want to view the images with crossed eyes (which is easier for some people) you need to switch the two images (which Henry has already done.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:41 pm

For those who prefer red/cyan anaglyphs, here's the same pair converted.
pluto_anaglyph.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory