APOD: Ghosts and Star Trails (2015 Oct 31)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Ghosts and Star Trails (2015 Oct 31)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:09 am

Image Ghosts and Star Trails

Explanation: Don't be scared. Stars won't fall from the sky and ghosts won't really haunt your neighborhood tonight. But it looks like they might be doing just that in this eerie picture of an eccentric old abandoned house in moonlight. A treat for the eye the image is a trick of stacked multiple exposures, 60 frames exposed for 25 seconds each. While the digital frames were recorded with a camera fixed to a tripod stars traced concentric arcs about the north celestial pole, only a reflection of planet Earth's rotation on its axis. Conveniently marked by bright star Polaris, the pole could be positioned above the peaks of the deserted dwelling. Wrapped in a blanket to stay warm, the photographer's own movements during the exposures were blended into the ghostly apparitions. Of course, the grinning Jack-o-Lantern is there to wish you a safe and Happy Halloween!

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Ghosts and Star Trails (2015 Oct 31)

Post by Ann » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:58 am

That's an amazing image! :shock: Can't remember the last time I thought a building looked scary, but this one fits the bill. My first impression was that it was a huge, decrepit castle straight out of Dracula territory, but then I saw the person - I swear it looks like two persons!!! - standing in the largest archway, barely fitting in it. So this is the modest-sized dwelling of a hugely, hugely eccentric person. That's utterly amazing!

It's a great image and a perfect one for Halloween!

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:37 am

Amazing and spooky image...

H.H.

:---[===] *

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Ann wrote:That's an amazing image! :shock: Can't remember the last time I thought a building looked scary, but this one fits the bill. My first impression was that it was a huge, decrepit castle straight out of Dracula territory, but then I saw the person - I swear it looks like two persons!!! - standing in the largest archway, barely fitting in it. So this is the modest-sized dwelling of a hugely, hugely eccentric person. That's utterly amazing!

It's a great image and a perfect one for Halloween!

Ann
I agree Ann.

I notice that in the caption to the image in Chris's 'Greek Sky' website it states the building is a "deserted house somewhere in southern England". I certainly would not have guessed that! :o