[old] APOD: Mars at Closest Approach 2016 (2016 Aug 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
iagobado

Re: APOD: Mars at Closest Approach 2016 (2016 Aug 09)

Post by iagobado » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 am

chrisgo wrote:iagobado. Do you want to see true lies. Try to apply wavelets to the Mars png image you posted in the link.. It is quite revealing!

Sorry Chris but i don't understand... what i must see? remember that i'm not an astrophotographer like you, i'm an amateur that learned some things from Jesús and others, so what's revealing this image?

BR,

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:15 am

Chris Peterson-sorry I misdirected my comment. mia culpa..

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:19 am

iagobado - The image is distorted and you can see the editing that he has done. Note the sharp contrasts. If this were a real capture, you will get a smooth transition. The video he posted is a manufactured video not a real capture.

If this were a real raw image, applying wavelets would have sharpened the image. I have included my image of Jupiter in an earlier message so you will understand this effect.

You can do wavelets with Registax. I use usually use this setting: Initial layer 2, Wavelet Filter: Default, Wavelet Scheme: Linear, 1: 14, 2: 13 and 3: 13... You use a number close to these settings.

You can get my raw image at: http://astro.christone.net/jsample.zip

iagobado

Post by iagobado » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 am

Now I understand,

thx

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:35 am

iagobado: that is why I challenge him to post a raw image... all the tricks he did will come to light with the wavelet test. RIght now the RAW images he posted do not amount to the incredible APOD image he posted.
Last edited by chrisgo on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 am

Please note this is a screen shot the Jesus Santos APOD image of Mars... Literally out of this world.
http://astro.christone.net/apodfake.jpg
Last edited by chrisgo on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 am

And this is the R filter. Please compare this to the video he uploaded! His image has an incredible 0.02"/pixel! Incredible for a 14" telescope. I know of only 1 telescope that can do this and it is not even on the ground!

http://astro.christone.net/apodfaker.jpg

RBANDREO

Post by RBANDREO » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:21 am

chrisgo wrote:Ok guys. I got a message from the wife of the faker. She is accusing me of stealing the image of Jesus and making it my own. They want to sue me for destroying his reputation... What an idiot, doesn't he realize that I have my raw data!
Don't lose your cool, Chris. Let others call him an idiot if they want. I wouldn't engage for now, the message from that lady seemed more driven out of desperation than anything else. This guy probably needs one quiet day away, and realize that anything but an apology is only going to make everything worst for him. Hopefully, that's how things will turn out...

As for all the drama that's been pouring around this thread, IMHO the only drama is for this guy to deal with and no one else. Rather than lecturing the APOD editors about how they should run their gig (different than providing feedback, which I'm sure they welcome), we should be happy that the APOD seems to be nicely self-regulated via the many people who also look at it every day. If you ask me, each of these incidents, while sad in nature and no doubt unfortunate, isn't a failure of the APOD editors, it's a success of the APOD community. Why can't we look at it that way and leave the drama for those who chose to risk having to deal with it? My $0.02...

Cheers,
Rogelio

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:14 am

understood Rogelio... Thanks!

astrometbcn
Ensign

Post by astrometbcn » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Rogelio, una pregunta:

Teniendo en cuenta que todo indica que es un FAKE, tu crees que debe permanecer ese APOD publicado ,con la publicidad de esa tienda? o deberian retirarlo?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:04 pm

The fate of this APOD is under discussion. Patience, please. Thanks!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sebtor
Asternaut

Post by Sebtor » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 am

letter about the lamentable "fakes" published by Jesus Santos Garzás - JSG

I am the administrator of the astronomy forum in Spanish language: Astronomo.org (with nearly ten thousand users).
I know I speak for all of us when I say: we are saddened by the attitude of this man Jesus Santos, who has betrayed the trust of all. Regarding some fake images posted on our site, and, we will take drastic and painful measures.

For the same reason, we ask for respect for our community of amateur science. Solely responsible for the bad manipulations of the images is the autor Mr. Santos

Best Regards

http://www.astronomo.org/foro/index.php?topic=22308.0
https://www.facebook.com/Astr%C3%B3nomo ... 993252622/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Como administrador del foro de la astronomía en español: http://www.astronomo.org (con cerca de diez mil usuarios).

Estoy seguro que hablo en nombre de todos nosotros cuando digo que estamos decepcionados por la actitud de este hombre Jesús Santos, que ha traicionado la confianza de todos. Con respecto a algunas imágenes falsos publicados en nuestro sitio, y, vamos a tomar medidas drásticas y dolorosas.

Por la misma razón, solicitamos el respeto a nuestra comunidad de aficionados a la ciencia. El único responsable de las malas manipulaciones de las imágenes es el autor Sr. Santos

Atentamente,
Last edited by owlice on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made text normal size

chrisgo
Ensign

Post by chrisgo » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:49 am

Dear Sebtor.

Adding the last sentence of your letter was unnecessary. One can never blame an Nationality whenever something like this happens. There are people who fake things all over the world! This is an individual responsibility.

I hope this serves a lesson for people who attempt to use APOD to advance with fake or plagiarized images. Getting your image published in APOD will cause your downfall! There is a community watching over you!

Regards,
Chris Go

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Whatever has needed to be said has already been said. I'm locking this thread down.

Put your pitch forks down and let the editors handle it and take however much time they need to deliberate on the matter.

Any further updates will be posted by an admin.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm

I've removed a few recent posts that didn't add anything to the discussion from the thread. If yours was one of them and you want to discuss this, I'd be happy to do so via IM. Thanks.

owlice
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:17 pm

I requested that a noted astrophotographer who had not previously participated in this discussion act as a "referee", of sorts, and evaluate the video and the accuracy of the resulting criticism and discussion in light of how the original video was described to APOD when submitted. This referee indicated that although it might well be possible to produce images of the quality featured in the video from Earth, that did not seem to be likely in this case. In sum, the referee believes that the video was not produced in the manner originally presented. Given this additional input, I have replaced this video with a similar image sequence as presented on a relevant NASA page. Almost all of the original APOD text has been preserved, and I believe that the original educational content has been largely left intact. We at APOD apologize for the inconvenience. We additionally thank those astrophotographers and image analysts who contributed constructively to this discussion.

- RJN

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:30 pm

The topic has been unlocked. Please keep discussion relevant to the latest APOD version.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: [old] APOD: Mars at Closest Approach 2016 (2016 Aug 09)

Post by geckzilla » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Relocked (sorry bystander)
New topic is here: http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36263
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.