ALMA | ESO | NRAO | NAOJ | 2016 Sep 22
ALMA Uncovers Insights into 'Golden Age' of Galaxy Formation
International teams of astronomers, using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), have explored the same distant corner of the Universe first revealed in the iconic image of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (HUDF).
The new ALMA observations, which are significantly deeper and sharper than previous surveys at millimeter wavelengths, trace the previously unknown abundance of star-forming gas at different points in time, providing new insights into the "Golden Age" of galaxy formation approximately 10 billion years ago.
The researchers presented their findings today at the Half a Decade of ALMA Conference in Palm Springs, California. The results are also accepted for publication in a series of seven scientific papers appearing in the Astrophysical Journal and one in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Just like the pioneering deep-field observations with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, scientists using ALMA surveyed a seemingly unremarkable section of the Cosmos in a so-called “blind search”. This type of observation probes a specific region of space to see what can be discovered serendipitously rather than homing in on a predetermined target, like an individual galaxy or star-forming nebula. ...
ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field:
Implications for spectral line intensity mapping at millimeter
wavelengths and CMB spectral distortions - C.L. Carilli et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06773 > 22 Jul 2016 (v1), 09 Aug 2016 (v3) (ApJ)
Search for [CII] line and dust emission in 6<z<8 galaxies - M. Aravena et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06772 > 22 Jul 2016 (v1), 09 Aug 2016 (v2) (ApJ)
Molecular gas reservoirs in high-redshift galaxies - Roberto Decarli et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06771 > 22 Jul 2016 (v1), 12 Sep 2016 (v2) (ApJ)
CO luminosity functions and the evolution of the cosmic density of molecular gas - Roberto Decarli et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06770 > 22 Jul 2016 (v1), 12 Sep 2016 (v2) (ApJ)
Continuum number counts, resolved 1.2-mm extragalactic background,
and properties of the faintest dusty star forming galaxies - M. Aravena et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06769 > 22 Jul 2016 (v1), 08 Sep 2016 (v2) (ApJ)
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1607.06768 > 22 Jul 2016 (ApJ)
The Infrared Excess of UV-selected z=2-10 galaxies as a function
of UV-continuum Slope and Stellar Mass - Rychard Bouwens et al
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1606.05280 > 16 Jun 2016 (v1), 06 Aug 2016 (v2) (ApJ)
- arXiv.org > astro-ph > arXiv:1606.00227 > 01 Jun 2016 (MNRAS)