USPS: Total Eclipse of the Sun on a Forever Stamp

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

USPS: Total Eclipse of the Sun on a Forever Stamp

Post by bystander » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Total Eclipse of the Sun to Be Commemorated on a Forever Stamp
United States Postal Service | 2017 Apr 27
[img3="Credit: USPS/Fred Espenak (Mr. Eclipse)"]http://about.usps.com/news/national-rel ... 17_020.png[/img3][hr][/hr]
The Postal Service will soon release a first-of-its-kind stamp that changes when you touch it. The Total Solar Eclipse Forever stamp, which commemorates the August 21 eclipse, transforms into an image of the Moon from the heat of a finger. ...

The June 20, 1:30 p.m. MT First-Day-of-Issue ceremony will take place at the Art Museum of the University of Wyoming (UW) in Laramie. The University is celebrating the summer solstice on June 20. ...

The stamp image is a photograph taken by astrophysicist Fred Espenak, aka Mr. Eclipse, of Portal, AZ, that shows a total solar eclipse seen from Jalu, Libya, on March 29, 2006.

In the first U.S. stamp application of thermochromic ink, the Total Solar Eclipse stamps will reveal a second image. Using the body heat of your thumb or fingers and rubbing the eclipse image will reveal an underlying image of the Moon (Espenak also took the photograph of the Full Moon). The image reverts back to the eclipse once it cools. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Case
Commander

Re: USPS: Total Eclipse of the Sun on a Forever Stamp

Post by Case » Wed May 03, 2017 3:05 am

The Total Eclipse Forever stamps may be pre-ordered at usps.com/shop in early June for delivery following the June 20 nationwide issuance.
Being 4800 miles away, I still find it an interesting piece, as a collector’s item, not as paper representing value for a transport service. As they do not ship outside the U.S., I will contact our national postal service, to see if they can arrange something for local collectors.
Better yet, maybe one of you Americans is willing to send me a card or envelope with this stamp via snail mail? :)

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 am

This just makes me think, whatever happened to Moonlady? :?:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Case wrote:
The Total Eclipse Forever stamps may be pre-ordered at usps.com/shop in early June for delivery following the June 20 nationwide issuance.
Being 4800 miles away, I still find it an interesting piece, as a collector’s item, not as paper representing value for a transport service. As they do not ship outside the U.S., I will contact our national postal service, to see if they can arrange something for local collectors.
Better yet, maybe one of you Americans is willing to send me a card or envelope with this stamp via snail mail? :)
I could easily see that happening... although an envelope addressed to 52°N, 06°E might present the carrier some difficulties (or at least, some broad latitude... and broad longitude).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:I could easily see that happening... although an envelope addressed to 52°N, 06°E might present the carrier some difficulties (or at least, some broad latitude... and broad longitude).
Haha. I’ll provide more details (via pm) and will reimburse any costs, if anyone is willing. The stamps are not available yet, so think it over.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am

I think this stamp should be available now. Is one of you regulars willing to send me some old fashioned snail mail featuring this special stamp? That would be great. Msg me for details. Thanks in advance.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Case wrote:
I think this stamp should be available now. Is one of you regulars willing to send me some old fashioned snail mail featuring this special stamp? That would be great. Msg me for details. Thanks in advance.
I've been meaning to pick some of them up. I'll msg you.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 pm

geckzilla wrote:I've been meaning to pick some of them up. I'll msg you.
Sweet! :D

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Well, there it is. :D
The stamp from the postcard. It appears to be free from ink from a postmark. I don’t think the small black spot below the ‘p’ is an ink stain, but it appears to be really small print (4 or 5 letters). Too small for me to read without a magnifier. The whole stamp is 22 mm (7/8") in height, and the tiny word is less than 1 mm (1/32") in length.

Edit: More light (going outside) makes the difference, as I could read it then: USPS. Funny how the human eye works.
Last edited by Case on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Case wrote:Well, there it is. :D
The stamp from the postcard. It appears to be free from ink from a postmark. I don’t think the small black spot below the ‘p’ is an ink stain, but it appears to be really small print (4 or 5 letters). Too small for me to read without a magnifier. The whole stamp is 22 mm (7/8") in height, and the tiny word is less than 1 mm (1/32") in length.
Wow, nice catch. I had to really magnify one of my stamps to see it. It says "USPS" (United States Postal Service).
IMG_20170708_073313p.jpg
IMG_20170708_073313p.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
(I'm continually amazed at what a great portable microscope a cellphone camera makes.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I totality missed that, too.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.