China seems to say, "The impossible is possible."

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: China seems to say, "The impossible is possible."

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:19 pm

warmingwarmingwarming wrote:For you to say there was no science until a hundred years ago denies the discoveries of Aristarchus 2,000 years ago, Newton, and many, many other well known historical scientists.
No, it doesn't. It merely recognizes that most early discoveries were isolated, accidental, and the product of individuals who bore no resemblance to modern scientists and who followed methodologies very unlike the modern scientific method.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
warmingwarmingwarming wrote:For you to say there was no science until a hundred years ago denies the discoveries of Aristarchus 2,000 years ago, Newton, and many, many other well known historical scientists.
No, it doesn't. It merely recognizes that most early discoveries were isolated, accidental, and the product of individuals who bore no resemblance to modern scientists and who followed methodologies very unlike the modern scientific method.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=famous+s ... e&ie=UTF-8

Perhaps, Chris, when your name rises among those of the url, your opinion of what science is, and who a scientist is, will be better accredited.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

warmingwarmingwarming wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:

Perhaps, Chris, when your name rises among those of the url, your opinion of what science is, and who a scientist is, will be better accredited.
One need not be an eminent scientist to have an informed opinion about just what constitutes "science".

My point stands. Most of the people in that list from more than a couple hundred years ago were not scientists in any modern sense of the word, did not operate like modern scientists, and were not part of a culture that supported science in anything like we have increasingly seen over the last century.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote: No, it doesn't. It merely recognizes that most early discoveries were isolated, accidental, and the product of individuals who bore no resemblance to modern scientists and who followed methodologies very unlike the modern scientific method.

One need not be an eminent scientist to have an informed opinion about just what constitutes "science".

My point stands. Most of the people in that list from more than a couple hundred years ago were not scientists in any modern sense of the word, did not operate like modern scientists, and were not part of a culture that supported science in anything like we have increasingly seen over the last century.
Then why are so many people banned and deleted from this forum? Of course, I say that knowing I risk being banned, for commenting on moderator actions. However. My questions stands, and you have no logical answer for it.
I think I think, though I'm not sure if I all the thoughts I think I think, or if they come to me from .. goodness knows where. :)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:One need not be an eminent scientist to have an informed opinion about just what constitutes "science".

Then why are so many people banned and deleted from this forum? Of course, I say that knowing I risk being banned, for commenting on moderator actions. However. My questions stands, and you have no logical answer for it.
Non sequitur.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

warmingwarmingwarming
Science Officer

Post by warmingwarmingwarming » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:One need not be an eminent scientist to have an informed opinion about just what constitutes "science".

Non sequitur.
Exactly.