APOD: Pelican Nebula Close-up (2017 Aug 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Pelican Nebula Close-up (2017 Aug 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:06 am

Image Pelican Nebula Close-up

Explanation: The prominent ridge of emission featured in this vivid skyscape is designated IC 5067. Part of a larger emission region with a distinctive shape, popularly called The Pelican Nebula, the ridge spans about 10 light-years and follows the curve of the cosmic pelican's head and neck. Fantastic, dark shapes inhabiting the view are clouds of cool gas and dust sculpted by energetic radiation from young, hot, massive stars. But stars are also forming within the dark shapes. Twin jets emerging from the tip of the long, dark tendril left of center are the telltale signs of an embedded protostar cataloged as Herbig-Haro 555 (HH 555). In fact, other Herbig-Haro objects indicating the presence of protostars are found within the frame. The Pelican Nebula itself, also known as IC 5070, is about 2,000 light-years away. To find it, look northeast of bright star Deneb in the high flying constellation Cygnus.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Pelican Nebula Close-up (2017 Aug 03)

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:20 am

Diving for a fish, no doubt.... :D

Really great shot... nice detail...great colors.

:---[===] *

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 am

Even though I'm not a big fan of mapped narrowband, this image is total swagger!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:32 am

Here's another instance of, (what do you call it? )seeing anthropomorphic images in vague photos? I remember there was a profile of the devil in the Pillars of Creation. Likewise can you see the profile of his head here to, although I think he looks more like a leprechaun with the classic pointed beard past his chin. (Best to look at the high definition of this photo.) Look above centre of the main red dust cloud. There is a beam of white light and then another cloud above that which is more purplish then red. His profile is on the left side of this dust cloud. The leprechaun is just below another darker pillar a bit larger then the Herbig-Haro 555 pillar.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am

De58te wrote:Here's another instance of, (what do you call it? )seeing anthropomorphic images in vague photos?

It's called pareidolia. (I had to google it.) :wink:
I remember there was a profile of the devil in the Pillars of Creation.

Pillars of Creation, Photo: Hubble.
Well, not the devil, I think, but someone "on the other side". In the picture at left, look at the pillar at right. Beard, check, longish hair, check, something weird on his head, check, arms outstretched, check, wearing some sort of toga, check, mouth open as if to speak. Some light can be seen around his head, too. :wink:
Likewise can you see the profile of his head here to, although I think he looks more like a leprechaun with the classic pointed beard past his chin. (Best to look at the high definition of this photo.) Look above centre of the main red dust cloud. There is a beam of white light and then another cloud above that which is more purplish then red. His profile is on the left side of this dust cloud. The leprechaun is just below another darker pillar a bit larger then the Herbig-Haro 555 pillar.
Elephant trunk pillar with jets in the Pelican Nebula.
Source: http://www.guidescope.net/nebulae/na.htm

I'm not sure I can find your leprechaun. But note the "elephant trunk" at center left in the APOD. The elephant trunk is a pillar of dense dust, very similar to the Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula.

Note the jets at the top of this tall dusty pillar. The jets, called HH555 (Herbig-Haro 555), are produced by a young star forming at the tip of the elephant trunk.

Ann

Hmmm, edit... I can see that APOD Robot already explained everything about HH555. Sorry for repeating everything all over again, but I think I'll keep the picture anyway.
Color Commentator

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

quite dense.wasnt that long ago I stuck a white LED in a glass full of salt and it cooly shined thru
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
ta152h0 wrote:
quite dense.

wasnt that long ago I stuck a white LED in a glass full of salt and it cooly shined thru
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034248/trivia wrote:
<<In an interview with Dick Cavett, Alfred Hitchcock explained how he managed to call attention to the glass of milk containing the fatal dose of poison in Suspicion (1941). He wanted it stand out so he had a glass made that contained a small battery operated light so the glass would show up in the long down the hallway shot.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

neufer wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
ta152h0 wrote:
quite dense.

wasnt that long ago I stuck a white LED in a glass full of salt and it cooly shined thru
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034248/trivia wrote:
<<In an interview with Dick Cavett, Alfred Hitchcock explained how he managed to call attention to the glass of milk containing the fatal dose of poison in Suspicion (1941). He wanted it stand out so he had a glass made that contained a small battery operated light so the glass would show up in the long down the hallway shot.>>
That scene from Suspicion reminds me of a very classic Swedish novel, Drottningens juvelsmycke (The Queen's Tiara). On the title page from the first edition of the book from 1834, you can read the words,
Tintomara! två ting äro hvita
Oskuld - Arsenik.
Tintomara is the main character of the novel, and it is her mother who is speaking to her. She is saying to her daughter, Tintomara, two things are white. Innocence and arsenic. She might have added that milk is white, too. And very innocent. And just possibly poisonous.

Well, the words of Tintomara's mother remind me of that very, very white and positively luminous glass of deadly innocent milk, Art.
Though I'm not sure where the Pelican Nebula ended up in all of this, except that some pelicans are white.

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 pm

A remarkable bird is the Pelican
His beak holds more than his belly can.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 pm

FYI Dick Cavett was my favorite host during my hospital stay in 1968
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 am

ta152h0 wrote:
FYI Dick Cavett was my favorite host during my hospital stay in 1968
I had my Suspicion. (Were you poisoned?)
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:25 am

sugar. Diabetes, nice hotel with candystripers
Wolf Kotenberg