APOD: A Colourful Moon (2017 Nov 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Colourful Moon (2017 Nov 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 am

Image A Colourful Moon

Explanation: The Moon is normally seen in subtle shades of grey. But small, measurable color differences have been greatly exaggerated in this mosaic of high-resolution images captured near the Moon's full phase, to construct a multicolored, central moonscape. The different colors are recognized to correspond to real differences in the mineral makeup of the lunar surface. Blue hues reveal titanium rich areas while more orange and purple colors show regions relatively poor in titanium and iron. The intriguing Sea of Vapors, or Mare Vaporum, is below center in the frame with the sweeping arc of the lunar Montes Apenninus (Apennine Mountains) above it. The dark floor of 83 kilometer diameter Archimedes crater within the Sea of Rains, or Mare Imbrium, is toward the top left. Near the gap at the top of the Apennine's arc is the Apollo 15 landing site. Calibrated by rock samples returned by the Apollo missions, similar multicolor images from spacecraft have been used to explore the Moon's global surface composition.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: A Colourful Moon (2017 Nov 11)

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:14 am

Ok, Well, Good, and Fine.... now tell me why the LOWER crater near the middle on the left....LOOKS LIKE A FACE????? :shock:

Oh... in the larger view the crater is normal, so it is just me....thank, GOD... I thought it was Squirrels getting to me....

:---[===] *

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 pm

What if our eyes were sensitive, not to visible radiation, but to the far-ultraviolet (1300 Å - 1700 Å)? How would the moon look? Well, of course from the Earth's surface, you would not be able to see the full moon at all since the Earth's atmosphere does not transmit UV radiation. But, if you could look from the international space station, you would see a reversed image of the Moon! Bright mare! Dim highlands! I don't have a picture, but here is the report: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lsc1974/pdf/1173.pdf

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Here is more regarding the Moon seen in the ultraviolet: http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/p/62.pdf

dlw
Ensign

Post by dlw » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 pm

If you look carefully just above image center you will see a winding road leading from the Mare Imbrium to the top of a peak in the Apennine's arc. Clearly made by aliens, perhaps to try to phone home. :lol2:
Attachments
Alien Road on the Moon.jpg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm

dlw wrote:If you look carefully just above image center you will see a winding road leading from the Mare Imbrium to the top of a peak in the Apennine's arc. Clearly made by aliens, perhaps to try to phone home. :lol2:
That's Hadley Rille. Up on its northeast rim is where Apollo 15 landed.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

easybob08
Asternaut

Post by easybob08 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello,

many thanks for your comments. I have been working on the colours of the Moon's soils for a long time and if you want to see more about my work, you can find some pictures and videos on my facebook page :

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010240808268

Best regards

Alain