APOD: NGC 7635: The Bubble Nebula Expanding (2018 Feb 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: NGC 7635: The Bubble Nebula Expanding (2018 Feb 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 am

Image NGC 7635: The Bubble Nebula Expanding

Explanation: It's the bubble versus the cloud. NGC 7635, the Bubble Nebula, is being pushed out by the stellar wind of massive star BD+602522, visible in blue toward the right, inside the nebula. Next door, though, lives a giant molecular cloud, visible to the far right in red. At this place in space, an irresistible force meets an immovable object in an interesting way. The cloud is able to contain the expansion of the bubble gas, but gets blasted by the hot radiation from the bubble's central star. The radiation heats up dense regions of the molecular cloud causing it to glow. The Bubble Nebula, pictured here is about 10 light-years across and part of a much larger complex of stars and shells. The Bubble Nebula can be seen with a small telescope towards the constellation of the Queen of Aethiopia (Cassiopeia).

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: The Bubble Nebula Expanding (2018 Feb 05)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 am

Really nice close up... and colorful.

Not as impressive, I don't have the right filters, or maybe camera...this is through my 10" Meade LX200 scope...without filters.

Attachments
bubble-1.jpg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Glad to see you post another picture here, Boomer! :D

The APOD is very striking.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Boomer12k wrote:Not as impressive, I don't have the right filters, or maybe camera...this is through my 10" Meade LX200 scope...without filters.
Your filters and camera are minor factors compared with the biggie: photons collected. The APOD is a 1.4 hour exposure on a 2 m aperture telescope. For you to get a similar S/N with your 0.25 m telescope, you'll need about a 90 hour exposure.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Visual_Astronomer

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm

I'll take issue with the "can be seen with small telescopes" claim.

I've tried several times to see this with my 20" (which is *not* small) and have only seen about as much as is shown in Boomer's photo.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Visual_Astronomer wrote:I'll take issue with the "can be seen with small telescopes" claim.

I've tried several times to see this with my 20" (which is *not* small) and have only seen about as much as is shown in Boomer's photo.
Well, visually, the size of the telescope only impacts extended object brightness at higher magnifications. The Bubble isn't hard to see in a small telescope at low magnification. Of course, it just looks like a faint small glow around a star. But technically, you can see it, and it's not difficult.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:Not as impressive, I don't have the right filters, or maybe camera...this is through my 10" Meade LX200 scope...without filters.
Your filters and camera are minor factors compared with the biggie: photons collected. The APOD is a 1.4 hour exposure on a 2 m aperture telescope. For you to get a similar S/N with your 0.25 m telescope, you'll need about a 90 hour exposure.
Thanks, Chris.... I will give that a try.... LOL....90 Hours....man, I need a bigger scope...

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Boomer12k wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:
Not as impressive, I don't have the right filters, or maybe camera...this is through my 10" Meade LX200 scope...without filters.
Thanks, Chris.... I will give that a try.... LOL....90 Hours....man, I need a bigger scope...
Plus the right filters (to block 90 hours worth of skylight & starlight).
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Visual_Astronomer wrote:
I'll take issue with the "can be seen with small telescopes" claim.

Well, visually, the size of the telescope only impacts extended object brightness at higher magnifications. The Bubble isn't hard to see in a small telescope at low magnification. Of course, it just looks like a faint small glow around a star. But technically, you can see it, and it's not difficult.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_7635 wrote:
<<NGC 7635, also called the Bubble Nebula, is a H II region emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia. It lies close to the direction of the open cluster Messier 52. The "bubble" is created by the stellar wind from a massive [~44 M] hot, 8.7 magnitude young central star, SAO 20575. The nebula is near a giant molecular cloud which contains the expansion of the bubble nebula while itself being excited by the hot central star, causing it to glow. It was discovered [visually] in 1787 by William Herschel.

With an 8 or 10-inch telescope, the nebula is visible as an extremely faint and large shell around the star. The nearby 7th magnitude star on the west hinders observation, but one can view the nebula using averted vision. Using a 16 to 18-inch scope, one can see that the faint nebula is irregular, being elongated in the north south direction.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Thanks, Boomer, for showing what it looks like in a smaller scope.

So, the cloud would have mostly H2, then CO, and apparently molecular clouds are able to manufacture lots of other compounds as well, though I'm guessing things like amino acids would be very small components of the mix.
Mark Goldfain