APOD: An Airplane in Front of the Moon (2018 Jul 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: An Airplane in Front of the Moon (2018 Jul 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:10 am

Image An Airplane in Front of the Moon

Explanation: If you look closely at the Moon, you will see a large airplane in front of it. Well, not always. OK, hardly ever. Actually, to capture an image like this takes precise timing, an exposure fast enough to freeze the airplane and not overexpose the Moon -- but slow enough to see both, a steady camera, and luck -- because not every plane that approaches the Moon crosses in front. Helpful equipment includes a camera with fast continuous video mode and a mount that automatically tracks the Moon. The featured fleeting superposition was captured from Seoul, South Korea two weeks ago during a daytime waxing gibbous moonrise. Within 1/10th of a second, the airplane crossing was over.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: An Airplane in Front of the Moon (2018 Jul 03)

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 am

Surely 'underexposed' not 'overexposed'? Words matter.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 am

Nice picture but this view is something that always puzzles me about astronomy. Why does the Moon face different ways in different parts of the world? I think I identified the Sea of Crisis or Mare Crisium, but why is it directly under the Moon's North Pole? In my part of the world, the Great Lakes Region, Mare Crisium looks like it is northeast of east. Much more closer to East than the Moon's North Pole.

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 am

As we move from latitudes from the north to the south, the image of the Moon rotates counter-clockwise against the background of the sky by a geometric construction by the visual

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:20 pm

De58te wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 am Nice picture but this view is something that always puzzles me about astronomy. Why does the Moon face different ways in different parts of the world? I think I identified the Sea of Crisis or Mare Crisium, but why is it directly under the Moon's North Pole? In my part of the world, the Great Lakes Region, Mare Crisium looks like it is northeast of east. Much more closer to East than the Moon's North Pole.
Watch the Moon over 12 hours, from rise to set. Its axis of rotation necessarily rotates with respect to the horizon by about 180°. When you take a picture is more important then where when considering the apparent angle of the Moon's face.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Can I please buy a ticket on that plane?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Guest wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 am Surely 'underexposed' not 'overexposed'? Words matter.
They sure do and the writer meant overexposed...
“ an exposure fast enough to freeze the airplane AND not overexpose the Moon ”
The exposure had to be fast enough so it didn’t overexpose the moon like a slower speed would.