APOD: Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain (2018 Nov 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain (2018 Nov 19)

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm
Well, he specifically said he used the polarizer to increase the contrast between the Moon and sky. And the polarizer will have the greatest effect at the quarter moons, and that's pretty close to what we have here (117° separation between the Sun and Moon). So unless you have some good reason to believe this is a composite of images taken at significantly different times, I think I'll go with what the imager claims: Just as I had set the camera for the correct exposure of the Moon and the mountain, I saw this plane emerging in the viewfinder. I quickly snapped a couple of shots and this is one of them.
Let us toast with Jämtland Griswold Moose Mugs to agree to disagree.
Art Neuendorffer

seattlemonster@gmail.com

Post by seattlemonster@gmail.com » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 am

Doesn't the moon phase move from right to left in the northern hemisphere? Wouldn't that make this a waning gibbous, not a waxing?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:32 am

APOD Robot wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am Image Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain

Explanation: The featured image was taken in Jämtland, Sweden near the end of last month. That gibbous moon turned, in a few days, into a crescent moon, and then a new moon, then back to a crescent, and a few days ago back to gibbous. And this same gibbous moon is visible again tonight, leading up to the Full Beaver Moon that occurs Friday night. Setting up to capture a picturesque gibbous moonscape, the photographer was quite surprised to find an airplane, surely well in the foreground, appearing to fly past it.
seattlemonster@gmail.com wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 am
Doesn't the moon phase move from right to left in the northern hemisphere?
Wouldn't that make this a waning gibbous, not a waxing?
The featured image from the end of October is a waning gibbous moon
leading up to a November 19 waxing gibbous moon as is stated in the Explanation.
Art Neuendorffer